• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by b-side

Miles,

Byrd...

Duke...

etc..

hmmm I never got into that kind of jazz but more on the loungy and brazilian bossa/samba stuff Sergio Mendes,Stan Getz and just recently picked up Basia's greatest hits (which is timeless,feel good music). also Seal's new album is not too bad though a little sappy at times

Originally posted by lyrik

Hey...wait...nope I didn't :tongue:

Anyways some of my friends asked me to go and I like acoustical sets so maybe it will be alright.

it was my strongbad line...but alterna-whiners trying to appear talented by doing an acoustic set, that's still evercrap.

The classically-trained guitarist wandering Ocean Drive, now that guy is good.

Between my tastes and my boyfriend's tastes, we bring the whole range of music into our household. Definitely 90's alternative rock, w/ Jane's addiction and The Chili Peppers at the top of the heap, and New Wave, like Bauhaus/Love N' Rockets, stone roses, The Cult, etc.... 60's rock (ie Hendrix), some 70's (PINK FLOYD, Bowie) and I love Mo-town music, and adore classic jazz, Coltrane and Etta James being my favorites.

Old School rap, modern rap and hip hop, Beastie Boys ARE NUMBER ONE!!! Dr. Dre, Snoop. I love Classical music, and could listen for hours to Mozart, and string quartets... My father is a huge opera and Blues fan, so I enjoy Puccini's opera "La Boeheme" often, as well as others,a s long as I know the story behind it....but I can't deal with the blues, so that's where Hendrix comes in :D

We enjoy comedic songs as well, like, "Lick my Salty Balls" from the "South Park: Bigger Longer and uncut" soundtrack, or the "bong song" :laugh: which was written similar to the "thong song". I can't get enough of Sade, Mary J. Blige, Aleica Keys (when she's not droning about love, being only 20 and all), Missy Elliot. I love my RnB. We enjoy Punk as well, from time to time, some Iggy Pop, or Ramones, and of course, again another mention to The Beastie Boys, who can jazz it up, rap it up, or punk your ass, depending on your mood.

BJORK is in a class all her own, but she is in our top five, as well as Meat beat Manifesto, and the White Stripes, which, btw, are fanstastic on just about every album I've heard from them.

Last but not least, and I know it's kind of dance related, but we are NUTS about scratching. Z-TRIP is the SHITE!!! Viva la Turntablism!!

Beastie Boys old skool to present day stuff. They do alot of instrumental stuff that puts me ina good vibe and chill.

Rage Against the Machine

Old Skool Rap- Run DMC, NWA

Mozart’s Piano Sonata K448 and Jupiter Symphony

Bob Marley, Jimmy Buffet, G Love and Special Sauce

so many more...

also after reading others

George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic ... if you have never never seen them live, this is one of the crazies , most entertaining shows ever. Lollapalooza 94 was the shit, Beastie's Parliament Funk, Smashing Pumpkins, Tribe called Quest, Breeders.

Jazz

Parker

Fitzgerald

Miles

Count Bassie

Thelonius Monk

Classic Rock

Hendrix

Doors

Jefferson Airplane

War

Janis Joplin

Pink Floyd

Rollin Stones

Zepplin

Rock

Smashing Pumpkins

Jane's Addiction

Sublime

Other

U2

Police

New Order

Tears for Fears

Depeche Mode

Marvin Gaye

Parliment Funkadelic

Tribe Called Quest

Bob Marley

my tastes are all over the place....there are sooo many names i left out...but that was just a taste of what i listen to OTHER than dance music

Originally posted by erickamikaze

George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic ... if you have never never seen them live, this is one of the crazies , most entertaining shows ever. Lollapalooza 94 was the shit, Beastie's Parliament Funk, Smashing Pumpkins, Tribe called Quest, Breeders.

Where'd you see this one Eric? Polaris? :D

That was one crazy day, the Beasties were INSANE! Another highlight was the Flaming Lips on the side stage.

My other listening choices:

Fugazi, Jawbox, Quicksand, Orange 9mm, Helmet, Rollins Band, Farside, Sensefield, Texas is the Reason, Far, Kyuss, QOTSA, Tool, Jane's Addiction, Butthole Surfers, New Bomb Turks, Man Will Surrender, Engine 88, Rival Schools, Hey Mercedes...to name a few. I could go on and on...anyone with me here?

Older hip-hop along the lines of Ice-T, Ice-Cube, PE, Tribe and Digable Planets.

Also roots reggae: the marleys, tosh, luciano...and older dancehall, the best was coming out around 97-2000 IMO.

You name it. Anything but COUNTRY!