Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Was Avalon an indication of what to expect this fall?

bassboy

My night at Avalon made me realize that I need to change my expectations of what NYC nightlife is going to be like for a while..

Guys, we have 3 big clubs opening this fall, and we have all been talking about the "revival" of NYC clubland, but I don't think it's going to happen the way we are hoping.

All 3 of these places are franchises and that is important.

I got to Avalon at 130 and when I saw that crowd from down the block, I was THRILLED. Then I got closer, and the crowd was 50/50, but they looked ready to party.

But after getting inside I felt like even though the place was full, it was really kind of empty.

It was very Webster Hall-ish, no?

The club:

A main floor w/ house, a hip-hop room, an 80's room, a guy expediting at the bars, the stage became a VIP area, there were like 7 VIP areas....

The system was much improved to LL, but there was very little that reminded of LL in there.

Why would they cover up all the brick w/ sheetrock? I didn't like that the place was so well lit; the church needs to be a dark and evil environment, not "Ok, we're clubbing tonight guys!!" and half the crowd had no idea who was spinning... Plus there was an air of sobreity that I could not shake off. I was on the railing on the 2nd floor taking it all in, and the place was really not that packed, they could have let that whole line in and I wish they had.

Then there were the 5 or 6 diva queens running around that were hired by the place and acted like they actually went there that night which was cheesy.

Like I said, when I saw the line down the block I was so pumped, but once inside, and the thrill of being back in there wore off, I felt like I was in WH. Nothing underground at all about that situation.

My main concern is that this is going to be a trend that we may need to expect from the other franchise clubs that are coming soon. I believe that I, we, are in the minority who want an underground experience. It is no longer good business.

Clubbing is much more of thing TO DO than a thing that YOU DO. Where is the culture that hooked me in and eventually got me (us) onto this board?

I hope that I'm wrong, but I think I will need to drastically change my expectations in order to happy this fall.

But like I said, I really hope that I'm wrong.

Sorry for the rant!! Was there a meetup BTW?

As far as covering the brick with sheetrock...

I am sure they put loads of sound proofing behind there. To make sure they make it neighborhood friendly... As much as we all want the old... We all must realize that it is never coming back... Get used to what we have and enjoy it...

You make all good points... But NY has changed therefore CLUB LIFE changed with it...

Originally posted by bassboy

My night at Avalon made me realize that I need to change my expectations of what NYC nightlife is going to be like for a while..

Guys, we have 3 big clubs opening this fall, and we have all been talking about the "revival" of NYC clubland, but I don't think it's going to happen the way we are hoping.

I got to Avalon at 130 and when I saw that crowd from down the block, I was THRILLED. Then I got closer, and the crowd was 50/50, but they looked ready to party.

But after getting inside I felt like even though the place was full, it was really kind of empty.

The club:

A main floor w/ house, a hip-hop room, an 80's room, a guy expediting at the bars, the stage became a VIP area, there were like 7 VIP areas....

The system was much improved to LL, but there was very little that reminded of LL in there.

Why would they cover up all the brick w/ sheetrock? I didn't like that the place was so well lit; the church needs to be a dark and evil environment, not "Ok, we're clubbing tonight guys!!" and half the crowd had no idea who was spinning... Plus there was an air of sobreity that I could not shake off. I was on the railing on the 2nd floor taking it all in, and the place was really not that packed, they could have let that whole line in and I wish they had.

Then there were the 5 or 6 diva queens running around that were hired by the place and acted like they actually went there that night which was cheesy.

Like I said, when I saw the line down the block I was so pumped, but once inside, and the thrill of being back in there wore off, I felt like I was in WH. Nothing underground at all about that situation.

My main concern is that this is going to be a trend that we may need to expect from the other franchise clubs that are coming soon. I believe that I, we, are in the minority who want an underground experience. It is no longer good business.

Clubbing is much more of thing TO DO than a thing that YOU DO. Where is the culture that hooked me in and eventually got me (us) onto this board?

I hope that I'm wrong, but I think I will need to drastically change my expectations in order to happy this fall.

you are so correct

Originally posted by bassboy

The club:

good post. I'm going this weekend with an open mind though. I have a feelign when all the hype and hoopla dies down it has a lot of potential. And one thing you can't deny...they are bringing in unbelievable talent in the next few weeks. Reason enough to make it out there.