Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Club Lumonics

lightshow79

Hey fellow CP party people looking to find out some info and opinions if any1 has attended lumonics in Ft. Lauderdale? If any1 has please let me know what you thought and hows the venue and as much details as you can provide! I'm thinking of going to 1 of there upcoming parties i have heard from some club goers and they say its an experience but i wanna hear from you guyz so plz any1 respond and let me know. THANKS :hat:

Originally posted by lightshow79

Hey fellow CP party people looking to find out some info and opinions if any1 has attended lumonics in Ft. Lauderdale? If any1 has please let me know what you thought and hows the venue and as much details as you can provide! I'm thinking of going to 1 of there upcoming parties i have heard from some club goers and they say its an experience but i wanna hear from you guyz so plz any1 respond and let me know. THANKS :hat:

I can't beleive that place is still around

From what I remember since I havent been there in about 3 years.

Its a new-age-ish art gallery with a seperate room for parties. It's got a pretty cool theatre with visuals being shown.

thats all about I can remember :blank:

hey guyz no problem will do, and to much of your suprise yeah they still throw parties they just do it more underground now invites are thru email and you have to make a reservation with your anme and how many guests. They usually have parties 1 a month and they send me an email letting me know the time and location and phone number to make reservations. Hey Thanks for the feedback thats what i hear the visuals are out of hand and its a chill place where every1 including bouncers and all are down with the scene so can't wait for the next party :cool:

Lumonics... GO thier only if your under 21 and rolling. From what i remember alteast a year ago, they were all ages shows. I went once to see Austin leeds, but i walked into a mess of 16 yr olds fucked up on xtc....:drunk: the whole night i was praying to god that it wouldnt get busted. lol. tell me how it went

hey pod trust me they are still open and still throwing parties!! ;)

they just do it more underground they spread the word thru emails and their website so i will let you know when the next party is laterz and keep P.L.U.R. Alive

POD"s a big PLUR advocate :rolleyes:

Not for nothing but I'm not gonna live in some candy-coated fantasy world where everyone gets along and gives courtesy blowjobs at every corner. I choose to live in the real world, and that's why I'm a cyncial bastard :cool:

Hey fellow CP party people looking to find out some info and opinions if any1 has attended lumonics in Ft. Lauderdale?

i'm almost ashamed to admit it, but i was there for one of the first events when danny bled was spinning. i'm sure some talented djs play there, but i don't like the venue and i despise the people who run it - encouraging minors to experiment with ketamine and ghb is just fucked up. despite the fact that lumonics was raided last year, various broward county schools have since scheduled field trips to the "gallery," apparently because some gullible teachers actually believe that the "lumonics effect" is, as the website suggests, an "antidote to school violence."

from the may 31, 2002 miami herald:

A two-month investigation by Fort Lauderdale's recently formed Rave Task Force into the Lumonics nightclub yielded four kilos of GHB, 105 grams of Ecstasy, 20 grams of ketamine, 17 grams of pot, 2 vehicles and $1,014. Five people were arrested and the club closed, said Fort Lauderdale Police Detective John Liguori. The task force came about after the police department received funding for a grant called Project Ecstasy on Oct. 1. The department then created the Rave Task Force with specific objectives: to combat club drugs, for prevention and intervention, education and treatment for those addicted.

The Lumonics Light and Sound Theatre was the first rave club closed by the task force. Last Friday, detectives raided the all-ages rave club in an office/warehouse complex at 3017 NW 60th St. The club features a darkened room illuminated by a maze of red and green lasers and a glass fountain that drips constantly. Officers from the police department code team were there and found multiple fire, building and zoning violations and closed the club.

Lumonics owner Dorothy Tanner said Thursday the club cannot control who carries drugs. ``I don't think you can go into a supermarket without someone in there having drugs on them,'' Tanner said. ``I don't think owners should be held responsible for someone carrying drugs, that's blatantly intrusive, scary.'' Tanner said she does not know when the club will reopen.

so, despite having a legal capacity of fewer than 100 people, the gallery owners were blissfully unaware that their patrons were dealing on the premises? how can you not notice four kilos of ghb?

A reponse from a person who has been part of Lumonics for over 30 years to Saint John, whoever you are.

You ought to be careful with your accusations. If you don't like the venue and "despise the people who run it" (despise-who even knows you - just what was done to you your one night at Lumonics) that is ok, but to post that Lumonics encouraged minors to experiment is an absolute lie. Please substantiate publicly with your proof of that fact.

The intention of Lumonics from its inception over 30 years ago is to provide people with a drugless high via the environment. And many people who came to Lumonics did get that point.

You may want to look at the reviews section of Lumonics at http://www.lumonics.net/page2.htm to see what has been written about Lumonics, and how many "drugless high" references there are.

And as for your newspaper quotes about the raid on Lumonics and the newspaper article, read what a person who knows more about this event than you do wrote on the sfl.8up web site since your quote seems to be making it around town today.

This was written by a person who has been attending events at Lumonics, and he just sent us an email alerting us to this. So here it is:

Crazy BULLSh*t About Lumonics (written by Mitch Waas)

(I took a lot of time to write this - please read it... :)

This is kind of amusing, actually.

The BSO was a bit guilty of information manipulation there. I used to be friends with the guy who was busted for dealing the GHB (if anyone knew good ol' blonde __(I am not repeating his name)__, you'd know that subtlety was NEVER his strong suit

- he dealt EVERYWHERE, with ruthless disregard for the venue and its owners -- as long as he made his fifty bucks he was happy). Regardless, it was a single gallon container of Gamma-Hydroxy Butyric Acid, and he was busted by the DEA in an undercover sting at the Bennigan's parking lot on Cypress

Creek Road and I-95 on the same afternoon as the Lumonics raid. For some reason, I guess they decided to include that unrelated bust in with the Lumonics raid, since the two were in close proximity to each other.

Also, they seemed to have neglected another minor detail: All of the other drugs found on the venue were in the possession of TWO DJ's. The venue owners themselves were never implicated in ANY wrongdoing except for code violations (which have since been addressed). Of course, they could potentially be maligned for the ruthless indulgency of CARING ABOUT THEIR

PATRON'S PRIVACY, enough so that they refused to ruin the vibe of the evening by searching people as they entered.

AS ANYONE who goes to any public venue knows - regardless of how much anyone ever searches you, they'll NEVER be able to find EVERYTHING. There are ALWAYS places to hide things (body cavities in a last resort). Unless you trust and respect the people you are bringing into your venue, they'll never respect you in return. Searching people (aside from being offensive,

intrusive, and aggravating) is irrelevant and pointless with regards to keeping ANYTHING (particularly drugs) out of a venue. Particularly (AND ESPECIALLY) when those drugs are in the hands of the DJs themselves. <big grin directed at DJ Dana on that tidbit>

I'm sorry Dana, I'd always respected you in the past, but you REALLY need to get your information straight before posting it up in a public forum like this one. We all know too well that newspapers and the media in general will print up whatever they like in order to get the ratings. It's a shame you're gullible enough to fall for it.

As for Lumonics: anyone who goes there shouldn't be bringing drugs with them, just like any other public venue. When the place got raided, none of their patrons were found with ANYTHING on them - despite the drug dogs they brought in with them (several of my friends were there at the time). Oh, and that bullshit about Dorothy, Marc, Barry or Ritch encouraging minors to experiment with K & G? That sounds like someone with some SERIOUS issues; perhaps a previous grudge against the venue owners, so they felt the need to take it out on a public forum? There's absolutely NO substantiation behind that, and honestly, my opinion of you for printing it is roughly equivalent to how I'd feel seeing a ladybug drowning in a stinking heap of maggot-ridden diarrhea (I'd feel a somewhat nauseating sense of disgust, if

you wished for that last thought to be drawn out to it's conclusion).

Posting that message is plain and simple FUCKED UP, dude. I'd always considered you an intelligent, professional member of the South Florida DJ community. With this message, your credibility is now at a negative level. YOU YOURSELF USED TO SPIN AT LUMONICS REGULARLY - IF NOT FREQUENTLY. If you had such problems with them, why the hypocrisy? Oh,

they paid you. That's right. :)

Loser.

due to a lack of coffee yesterday morning, saintjohn posted the following:

"i don't like the venue and i despise the people who run it - encouraging minors to experiment with ketamine and ghb is just fucked up."

"it" should've read "events there." saintjohn regrets this error.

i said "the poeple who run it," not "the people who own it," but i admit that can be a hazy distinction. i meant to criticize certain "promoters," not the owners of lumonics. in my opinion, the gallery owners have been so determined to keep mel tanner's legacy alive that they've allowed said "promoters" to use the gallery for other than artistic purposes. to the best of my knowledge, lumonicat and dorothy are guilty of being gullible - nothing more.

having said that, i'd like to address the following statement:

Originally posted by lumonicat

The intention of Lumonics from its inception over 30 years ago is to provide people with a drugless high via the environment. And many people who came to Lumonics did get that point.

unfortunately, not everyone who attended events there was interested in a "drugless high." back in december of 2001, well before the raid even took place, the following appeared on the curiously-named smokedot.org website:

Lumonics represents itself in official literature as a "light museum", but it isn't difficult to figure out what really goes on there. It's a pretty interesting mix of rollers, stoners, tripping people, and even sober people. Really neat place. Go there before they get shut down...

obviously, the owners of lumonics have no control over what others post on various web forums or in email lists (ahem), but it's difficult to believe that nobody fully appreciated the potential trouble that this sort of reputation might cause. "rave" events at lumonics were being heavily promoted at the time, and a casual google search will turn up some interesting flyers from this period. furthermore, lumonicat's own post suggests that a regular patron "dealt EVERYWHERE, with ruthless disregard for the venue and its owners."

the rave task force didn't target lumonics on a whim - it takes a lot to get a multi-jurisdictional anti-drug task force to raid an art gallery with a legal capacity of fewer than 100 (50?) people.

finally, it's interesting that lumonicat's response cites the sfl8up site. i assume that "sfl" stands for "south florida," but perhaps he would be so kind as to explain the "8up" part, and what it has to do with his "drugless high" gallery.