Clubplanet Nightlife Community

how will NV fare now?

Bling

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mursa's right...a lot of beach clubs will pick up the "Space Homeless"...I've found that NV kind of caters to the sort that want that "ooh it's dark in here, I'm an underground motherfucker" feeling...kind of a "Space-lite" feeling...NV alone isn't going to save downtown, no disrespect to the ownership, I give them credit for posting here last week and risking an ulcer...

I have a feeling until Nocturnal opens, it's going to be slow going downtown....unfortunately, Space's impending closure is going to affect the whole scene negatively, no matter how you feel about it...people don't go Downtown, they go to Space 34. The one, soon to be two other clubs down there were kinda hoping on a good amount of curious folk who were going to Space 34, but maybe decided instead to check out their places...

Originally posted by pod

Not crobar. crobar's too commercial for them...it's gone to shit nowadays. Maze is dead too...I'm afraid your Saturdays are gonna be quiet for the time being.

First of all, I have to disagree with your opinion of Crobar. I've been there the last two Fridays and I can tell you, young Pod, that it was great. It's a wicked club that has been well maintained. It has a great sound system...and a great vibe. Crobar rocks!

Also....I don't think that the doors of 34 NE 11th Street will remain closed for very long. It may not be "Space34" but there won't be a long void Downtown.

Originally posted by ogmiami

First of all, I have to disagree with your opinion of Crobar. I've been there the last two Fridays and I can tell you, young Pod, that it was great. It's a wicked club that has been well maintained. It has a great sound system...and a great vibe. Crobar rocks!

Also....I don't think that the doors of 34 NE 11th Street will remain closed for very long. It may not be "Space34" but there won't be a long void Downtown.

it's a so so venue with a hit or miss vibe. the sound system sucks, unless your in the center of the dancefloor. the front door is a cluster f*ck , and they have needed a decent house DJ for like two years now. the only thing crobar rocks is my last good nerve.

it's a so so venue with a hit or miss vibe. the sound system sucks, unless your in the center of the dancefloor. the front door is a cluster f*ck , and they have needed a decent house DJ for like two years now. the only thing crobar rocks is my last good nerve.

I guess it's subjective. I usually go to Crobar when they book someone I want to see or for Back Door Bamby. I've never had any sort of trouble at the door. I don't usually get to hear the residents so I am not affected by that. The sound has been wonderful the last two Fridays. I guess my experience there and yours have been very different.

Well, I'm not saying it's a shitty venue, it's a great space, I'm not a big fan of the bookings lately, is all ... I got spoiled last year!

And that, my friend, is the problem. You've all gotten spoiled. Seb Fontaine and Timo Maas are real DJs. Yet, you scoff at the thought of going to see them. Nerve is bringing in really talented people every Friday, but there are rarely more than a couple of hundred people there to hear them. You complain about Crobar not bringing in any talent but when they were giving you a steady diet of Christopher Lawrence (DanceStar USA 2002 Best DJ), Dave Ralph (one of the best DJs working today), Little Louie Vega (Master at Work), and others....you people didn't support. You know why LP only books the same superstar guys all the time? Because that's all that you guys support.

Honestly, anyone who knows me knows how I feel about the scene and music and expanding what we love. But I am really getting discouraged by what's going on....negativity and hate. Every time I read this board, (by the way, a place where we are supposed to come together and SHARE OUR LOVE OF DANCE MUSIC), all I see is "you suck, insert name here" or "that DJ sucks" or "you're a moron if you like that track" or some other disrespectful, personal attack on someone else, some club or some DJ. What the fuck??? You all ask why Carl Cox never plays here. The answer is that the last two times he was here, (Shadow Lounge 1999/2000), the shows lost money. You want big talent...but you want to get in free. You get big talent...and you don't show up. You show up...and you complain about everything. What I'm saying is that you people dictate what we in the business do. Do you really think that Crobar stopped booking guest DJs because they made some half assed random decision? Or is it more likely that the market did not support it and they made decisions based on that? James Zabiela is an amazing DJ and Nerve was not packed. Are you going to complain when nobody down here books him? Of course you are. You complain like hell about all the clubs going Hip-Hop but do you ever wonder why they do it?

Club Econ 101 - Even though you pay $9 for that drink, we don't make $9 from it. A well run club works on about a 25% profit margin......i said a well run club. Your local GAP , your neighborhood clothing store, and the Blockbuster all have better margains and a fraction of the risk. Sure LP makes a great living but he also made a multi-million dollar investment in a high risk business, works long hours (day & night), and deals with pressure well beyond what most of you would imagine. I think he earns his money as do most other people in this industry.

Stop the hate and negativity. Share the sound you like with others. Try to understand the sound they're into. Support great talent even if it's not a top five name. Remember the things that used to make "Dance" a great scene.

I guess it's subjective. I usually go to Crobar when they book someone I want to see or for Back Door Bamby. I've never had any sort of trouble at the door. I don't usually get to hear the residents so I am not affected by that. The sound has been wonderful the last two Fridays. I guess my experience there and yours have been very different.

And that, my friend, is the problem. You've all gotten spoiled. Seb Fontaine and Timo Maas are real DJs. Yet, you scoff at the thought of going to see them. Nerve is bringing in really talented people every Friday, but there are rarely more than a couple of hundred people there to hear them. You complain about Crobar not bringing in any talent but when they were giving you a steady diet of Christopher Lawrence (DanceStar USA 2002 Best DJ), Dave Ralph (one of the best DJs working today), Little Louie Vega (Master at Work), and others....you people didn't support. You know why LP only books the same superstar guys all the time? Because that's all that you guys support.

Honestly, anyone who knows me knows how I feel about the scene and music and expanding what we love. But I am really getting discouraged by what's going on....negativity and hate. Every time I read this board, (by the way, a place where we are supposed to come together and SHARE OUR LOVE OF DANCE MUSIC), all I see is "you suck, insert name here" or "that DJ sucks" or "you're a moron if you like that track" or some other disrespectful, personal attack on someone else, some club or some DJ. What the fuck??? You all ask why Carl Cox never plays here. The answer is that the last two times he was here, (Shadow Lounge 1999/2000), the shows lost money. You want big talent...but you want to get in free. You get big talent...and you don't show up. You show up...and you complain about everything. What I'm saying is that you people dictate what we in the business do. Do you really think that Crobar stopped booking guest DJs because they made some half assed random decision? Or is it more likely that the market did not support it and they made decisions based on that? James Zabiela is an amazing DJ and Nerve was not packed. Are you going to complain when nobody down here books him? Of course you are. You complain like hell about all the clubs going Hip-Hop but do you ever wonder why they do it?

Club Econ 101 - Even though you pay $9 for that drink, we don't make $9 from it. A well run club works on about a 25% profit margin......i said a well run club. Your local GAP , your neighborhood clothing store, and the Blockbuster all have better margains and a fraction of the risk. Sure LP makes a great living but he also made a multi-million dollar investment in a high risk business, works long hours (day & night), and deals with pressure well beyond what most of you would imagine. I think he earns his money as do most other people in this industry.

Stop the hate and negativity. Share the sound you like with others. Try to understand the sound they're into. Support great talent even if it's not a top five name. Remember the things that used to make "Dance" a great scene.

:clap:

Amen ... :shades2:

Originally posted by houze-kitty

wow ogmiami---very well said ....and u managed to come off eloquent and not harsh at all....im impressed....

oh and this is the way i feel about losing space34

:blown: :blown: :blown:

Why, do I normally come off like an asshole?

You know why LP only books the same superstar guys all the time? Because that's all that you guys support.

"superstar guys" make him money, and that’s what the majority of people want to hear. if the masses want to hear PVD, Tiestso, etc then give them what they want. seems pretty simple to me. LP seemed to figure out the formula pretty well. sure it would be great if Miami where a town, where you could bring in up and coming dj’s, and actually make money. unfortunately it’s not ...

that’s reality of the scene.. the good , bad, and the ugly..

;)