Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any WINE connoisseurs care to share opinions?

I'm looking for a few bottles of very nice wine from Long Island vineyards. Basically, I want to bring several bottles over to Italy as christmas gifts for my bf's family, and to show to his friend who is a restaurant owner interested in importing (how backwards is that hehe) American wines to southern Italy. I was thinking I would get a few different types, but my criteria is:

*Very nice quality wine

*Red or white, not a blush or zinfandel type of thing

*Preferably under $35 per bottle, as I will be combining them with other gifts and am broke all at the same time

*Would be competitive taste and quality wise with some of the better southern Italian wines, i.e. Tintilia or Don Luigi

I've got some ideas based on what I've tasted already but I've never bothered to go out to any of the LI wine tastings so I know there's a lot out there that I haven't gotten a chance to try. Let me know if you have any ideas! :) (I know tunnelbandit will suggest some $2 box wine)

Well now. I am Italian. And I was born in California. And I visit Sonoma, ca frequently. I hate to say it. my #1 and #2 choices are Italy, and California. long Island wines are too damn expensive, evern on Long Island. At least when I am in California, I can get what would cost $30 here in NY for $3 out there. Last time I brought back a dozen bottles with me.

Vixen... If you have the time.

I recommend " The Divine Bar " in NYC. It is on 51st Street Between 2nd and 3rd Ave...

You can feast off of Appetizers while tasting wine all night long...

What they do is bring you out about 5 or 6 - 2oz. samples of different wines. Each group of 5 or 6 are called flights. You can also order single samples if you wish...

But if you want to check out alot of different wines along with having a great night out. I highly recomment.

Vixenfoxxy-

I'm definitely not a connosiseur, but I recently had a 2001 Merlot from Palmer Vineyards (it was a housewarming gift from a friend) that was excellent. I'm normally not a Merlot drinker (I prefer Pinot Grigio/Noir) but I was pretty impressed with the body and taste of this one.

My friend told me that you can get it at http://www.liwines.com/main.htm

I've already ordered two bottles for myself, and am trying two other white wines, I'll let you know how they are when I get them.

Hope this helps a little bit.

don't know about long island wines.... but california wines are definately available in italy.... just got back last week....you can get get kendall jackson, beringer, etc...mostly commercial brands there.... Italians for some strange reason have this " obsession " with american branded products... I dont get it.... personally I'll take a 20 euro bottle of italian over a $20 botlle of american... keep in mind that the 20 euro botle is probly $50 here in the states....

I can recommend a really good washington state chardonnay i had this weekend tho... St. Michelle Riserve Chardonnay ... 24 bucks...

Reds: Petrus Pomerol 1998,

Dom. Romanée Conti 1997,

Château Le Pin Pomerol 1999.

Whites: Joseph Drouhin Montrachet Marquis de Laguiche

Ramonet Bâtard-Montrachet

Louis Latour Chevalier-Montrachet Les Demoiselles

Only the finest touch Rizzo's lips, you should try as well, big difference.