Clubplanet Nightlife Community

check it - NYC's own Bill Patrick interview

diegonyc

COBALT: What would you say is the biggest problem with DJing in 2003 (particularly concerning style, genres, big rooms vs. small rooms, etc.)?

Bill Patrick: Paul Oakenfold's Jesus Christ pose. Actually, it may all derive from that. Too many of these guys think they're more important than they really are, charging astronomical fees and thus raising the cover at clubs. A $30-$40 cover charge is ridiculous in a time when the economy, worldwide, is horrible.

I'll probably get (shit) for this, but it almost seems as if some of these "superstar" DJs get too comfortable and lazy, and just rely on playing whatever is sent to them. Just take a look at some of the charts that are sent out. No work is done to try and push things forward musically. Do we really need to hear 3 mixes of Coldplay, U2, and Depeche Mode or 27 remixes of "Space Manoeuvres"??? Everything is either a white label, CDR, or promo, and then maybe at the end of the set we'll get a treat and hear a classic from 2002! It gets stale and doesn't help the scene at all. There's wicked music to be found if you research and take time to hunt through bins and backstock. It's not always going to be at your fingertips, but finding gems is half the fun of being a DJ.

For me, a good DJ is one who can mix old with new and plays a wide range of styles, never pigeon-holing themselves to any one genre. Josh Wink, Richie Hawtin, Danny Howells, Tyrant, Laurent Garnier, the list goes on. Of course, this is my opinion and I know others think differently. But you're interviewing me so I'll tell you what I think J

Every DJ is out there trying to do their thing to succeed in a rough business. A lot of people have dreams of becoming the next Sasha or Tiesto but that's like winning the lotto. It takes a lot of time and commitment but there are some people that try and take the easy route. Jumping on the "flavor of the month" sound might get you a gig now but in the long run it's a bad move. Creativity and originality will always win in the end.

About fucking time someone spoke up like this!!!!

BTW, let's get Bill at Nerve at some point.

I just woke up, thinking of what an awesome set Bill Patrick played for us last night here in Lima, Peru.

Ladies and Gentlemen of Miami, I hope someone books him soon there ASAP, you would be in for a treat!!!!!

Had the crowd going crazy all night long. I had the pleasure of having the company of Desyn Masiello (played a gig here the night before) with me, who completely agreed with me on Bill's awesome set. And I guess Desyn knows a thing or two on that subject....

BILL PATRICK ROCK'S!!!!!

COBALT: When it comes to DJs who share the same role as you do as the opener, whom do you think gets it right (or has so in the past)?

Bill Patrick: Greg Pappanastos at Lush in North Carolina, ...

Big ups for Pappanastos in NC! If you're ever in Charlotte, NC make sure you get your ass down to Tonic for Lush Fridays.

To hear a few of Pappanastos's great opening sets for Bill Patrick, Danny Howells, James Zabiela, Lee Burridge, and a few others check out his this site: http://www.djcentral.com/djs/djmixsets.cfm?id=13599&linkid=4

Guest saleen351

he's right about the money, those djs get paid too much, but what he lacks is a set of ideals based in reality. Do you think Deep Dish and their agents would turn down the big money? Ecomics is based on buyers getting the most bang for buck and selling getting the most for their product or service. This is how the world works.... He seems kind of jealous since the top 1% of djs are fucking it up for the rest but to quote a big name dj that once told me "they'd give their left nut to have my gig"

Originally posted by saleen351

he's right about the money, those djs get paid too much, but what he lacks is a set of ideals based in reality. Do you think Deep Dish and their agents would turn down the big money? Ecomics is based on buyers getting the most bang for buck and selling getting the most for their product or service. This is how the world works.... He seems kind of jealous since the top 1% of djs are fucking it up for the rest but to quote a big name dj that once told me "they'd give their left nut to have my gig"

Economics 101?