Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Pulp Fiction: What's in the briefcase?

Originally posted by djjonstephen

Marsellis Wallace's soul

Theory 1: The briefcase in Pulp contains the eternal soul of Marcelus Wallace, sold to the devil then stolen back. Note the Band-Aid on the back of his neck, according to folk-lore this is the point where the Devil removes a persons soul.

Refute 1: I'm so sick of hearing about the briefcase. One thing you forgot to mention in your wallace's eternal soul theory is that the combination on the damn thing is 666. But even so, I side with a comment I saw somewhere else on this site that says it's whatever you want it to be. It's like the age-old horror movie technique of leaving the scariest parts to your imagination because they're even scarier that way. Tarantino took that idea and flipped it on its head with the briefcase -- it's the most beautiful thing imaginable, literally!

Speculation 1: I saw an interview with Tarantino himself on TV and apparently the band-aid on the back of Marcelus Wallace's neck was to cover up a scar - nothing to do with his soul, but an interesting theory nonetheless

But, being slightly left-brained - I tend to like Theory 1.

Originally posted by xpyrate

I tend to go with refute 1 cause if it was his soul wouldnt Tarantino given that info up?

On side I nvr seen Kill Bill but isnt that like a sequel to pulp of sorts ya think they might give up the info then?

no, it's not.

If Tarentino wanted to be "normal" wouldn't he have shot the film linearly?

...if it was a soul, why would the thief want it?...in the end, it doesnt matter...it accords to the theory of leaving it to the imagination of the audience...but i will say pulp is one of my favorite movies, all time as well....it is almost entirely quotable...

Originally posted by upjumpdaboogie

Refute 1: It's like the age-old horror movie technique of leaving the scariest parts to your imagination because they're even scarier that way. Tarantino took that idea and flipped it on its head with the briefcase -- it's the most beautiful thing imaginable, literally!

:werd:

Originally posted by phatman

...if it was a soul, why would the thief want it?...in the end, it doesnt matter...it accords to the theory of leaving it to the imagination of the audience...but i will say pulp is one of my favorite movies, all time as well....it is almost entirely quotable...

Wait a sec... I haven't seen the movie in a while- who's the thief???

Originally posted by upjumpdaboogie

I think he's referring to the three kids the burn in the apartment. Jules and Vincent aren't theives, nor is Marsellus.

I thought he may have been referring to them... maybe they just wanted to get more money or something??? Who knows...

Anyway, the theory that it's his soul is the most plausible one I've heard so far.

Originally posted by tastyt

I thought he may have been referring to them... maybe they just wanted to get more money or something??? Who knows...

Anyway, the theory that it's his soul is the most plausible one I've heard so far.

I disagree ... because I would think , like I said before that Tarantino wouldve "come out" with that info a while ago ... refute 1 makes sense because there will always be this question in our heads and make the movie stick in our heads and make us ponder this for years. Refute 1 just makes sense that way.

On another note so Kill Bill IS NOT a sequel to Pulp? Im kinna confuzzled with your responce upjump.

Originally posted by xpyrate

I disagree ... because I would think , like I said before that Tarantino wouldve "come out" with that info a while ago ... refute 1 makes sense because there will always be this question in our heads and make the movie stick in our heads and make us ponder this for years. Refute 1 just makes sense that way.

On another note so Kill Bill IS NOT a sequel to Pulp? Im kinna confuzzled with your responce upjump.

But why would he tell us? Like Mr. Boogie said the film wasn't exactly meant to be "normal," why would he lay out all the answers for us?

Anyway, there's no reason to debate this at length, as none of us will ever know the true answer, if indeed there is one.

And no, Kill Bill is not a sequel to Pulp Fiction.

side note.. i almost hit tarantino one night in the city. i basically ran a red light and he was on the other side of it walking across the street with some food in hand.

pretty sure he didn't drop the food, but he definitely squealed at me and gave me the finger. needless to say my whole car bust out laughing.

The answer is EMERALD! His soul, what kind of answer is that! WHY, Let's see, I think it is a single item, like a big Jewel... because there is no partial of it in question (like missing some), that eliminates drugs... the Big Kahuna boys (Brad & Flock of Seagulls) seemed like they forgot to deliver it, not like they were dealing it... And it is always refered to as "Do we have it" - IT, a single item. And since Marcellis Wallace has a fine woman, my guess is he was getting her some rare stone. That is why "Ringo" asks "Is that what I think it is?"... making sure it is the real thing... like a giant Emerald. Thus the green glow when they open it, with a jewelers lite made to turn on when the case is open..... Emeralds are one of the most highly prized gems, thought to bestow faithfulness and unchanging love (hadn't given it to her yet, thus the reason to have Vincent watch over her while the big man was away - that's a whole other story). Columbia is best known for extremely rare flawless Emeralds - and my guess is the "Guys" probably have some Colombian connections.... there.... John Pulp King