Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Murk @ 34 this Satuday!!

biznation00

Murk (Oscar G & Ralph Falcon) need no introduction.. They've been a part of Music & Clubs since I proudly wore my spidey underoos back during my late teenage years (j/k)... :rofl:

So, this Saturday, Nov. 1st the 34 family

"formerly known as the Space 34 family" welcomes 2 of our favorites...

Murk

Oscar G & Ralph Falcon

along side the residents...

Roland

Radamas

Tony Tone

Open Bar 10pm - 1am

Vip Bottles 2 for 1 (Buy one, get one)

Guest list & Table Resevations >> Biznation00@msn.com

Here's an oldie Murk Essential Mix Track Listing from Pete Tong's show in 97'

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.tiss/emix_murk160397.htm

I haven't been able to find their latest essential mix from 2003's conference online, but maybe one of you can help me... :)

See u @ 34!!

www.djoscarg.com

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by tigerclaw

You can also hear it live on Party 93.1 from 12am til 3am on saturday, Oh btw Biz, You listed Markus Schulz on there, Hes not gonna be at 34 this saturday since hes out of town for a week.

you're always sharp as a razor & toight like a Tiger... ;)

btw, u gotta share the wealth with me on some of those live sets you have in your stash...

Originally posted by biznation00

you're always sharp as a razor & toight like a Tiger... ;)

btw, u gotta share the wealth with me on some of those live sets you have in your stash...

ILL MAKE A DEAL WITH YOU BIZ ... I HAVE A FEW OF EM ... I WANT AN OPEN LIST ALL NIGHT FOR MYSELF +3:D :D :D :D

Originally posted by fliptoniaaa

ill be out of town this weekend, but i know wherever there is murk.....good times r staring at u dead in the face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

oh shit !! thats right !!! ill be there witcho punk ass !!:D :D :D:cool: :cool: :cool:

Here's the Herald article link titled "Spinning Ahead: Local musicians cultivate sound and scene"

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/entertainment/7080999.htm

The article was published last Friday (10.24.03).

Everyone knows it's hard to be a musician in venue-challenged South Florida. Still, there must be some good things about being in a band here, right?

''You don't have to drive through the snow to get to a gig,'' says Tony Landa, bassist for Hialeah rockers Humbert.

He pauses, thinks. ``You don't have to drive through mountains.''

If you're a music fan, and you've ever lived anywhere else, you quickly realize one thing about South Florida: It's not a great area for checking out the local sounds. Austin, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle: Cities with good music scenes. Miami and Fort Lauderdale: Not.

And if you think it's hard to be a music consumer, imagine trying to make music here. There's nowhere to play. If there is somewhere to play, it doesn't pay, no one shows up and the sound sucks. If you want to go to another urban area and find somewhere to play, you've got to drive four hours to Orlando.

''A band here in Miami, first they've got to play for free,'' says The Green Room's Jorge Mejia. ``Then they've got to go do the little club round in places where you might have 10 people. How are you going to build momentum like that?''

What's more, South Florida artists, like patriots, often get no love in their hometown. Murk used to fly around the world and spend months in Italy, spinning house music for thousands, but ''we'd come back home and we couldn't get arrested,'' says Oscar G.

And Murk plays dance music, the sounds that fill South Beach's clubs -- to the eternal lament of rockers who remember when the Cameo and Washington Square helped foster local bands.

''It's been better sometimes and it's been worse,'' says Landa. ``When it's been really good it's because all the planets have been aligned and there's just a bunch of stuff going on.''

No one says it's easy, but sometimes against the odds local musicians have managed to cultivate a sound and a scene. How else do you explain Dashboard Confessional, Trick Daddy, Bacilos, and New Found Glory, all South Florida acts that have found national acclaim in the past few years? Or the Mavericks, Marilyn Manson, and 2 Live Crew before them?

South Florida may not have a consistent, central venue nurturing musical creativity. It may not have a trademark sound or an ambitious record label. But there's ample talent and pockets of creativity: compa bands playing in Hollywood, Hialeah rockers in Little Haiti, singer/songwriters in South Beach, and rappers just about everywhere.

''When people think of music in Miami, they think K.C. and the Sunshine Band, or Gloria Estefan, or 2 Live Crew,'' says Jeffrey Altidor of hip-hoppers Atripthroughthemind. ``But there's so many other talented people down here that are making a name for themselves. We need to strive for that now. A lot of people think go to New York. But you've just got to make things happen here. It's all about groups just doing their homework, keep on hitting the pavement. It's all a matter of time before Miami starts to get noticed.''

Profiled here are four South Florida acts that are challenging the odds. Their music ranges from hip-hop to house. Murk has already tasted major-label fame (as Funky Green Dogs). Humbert's members are still arguing whether to abandon the Hialeah Fest for greener pastures elsewhere.

They're not necessarily the best home-grown groups. But they're representative of a city with multiple identities, looking for outlets.

;)

Originally posted by biznation00

Koky,

list your sets sir & I get my pick of 3 sets. One for everyone of your guests... ;)

lol na biz i wont be there ... but ill burn em 4 u 4 free... i have em on cd's.. ill just get u all of em ... ill be at space next week:D ooops i meant 34 :D:cool: :cool:

Back on topic here...

Street Miami article (ask the dj: Oscar G) link below...

http://www.miami.com/mld/streetmiami/entertainment/music/6909362.htm

if you haven't checked it out yet, here's a chance.. Article also mentions Ralph Falcon, Frank Lords & another local favorite dj.. Stryke...

ASK THE DJ / OSCAR G

BY MICHAEL HAMERSLY

The casual dance music fan will recognize Oscar G's name from ''Dark Beat,'' his tribal-chant hit with partner Ralph Falcon. Featuring electrifying vocals from Oba Frank Lords, the track blew up into one of the biggest club anthems of last year. But that's just the tip of the iceberg for Space34's resident DJ, who was awarded ''Best Resident DJ'' this year by DJ Times and Club Systems International. With Falcon, he produces hit after hit under the alter egos Murk and Funky Green Dogs, and his weekly 10-hour marathons have been legendary for years. Look for a self-titled CD from Murk -- featuring more collaborations with Lords as well as with Greg ''Stryke'' Chin -- to drop October 7. Check out Space34 this Saturday for the CD-release party.

• How did you come up with the name Murk?

It's derived from the word ''murky,'' which means dark or cloudy. Ralph and I though it represented the sound we were trying to create and went with it.

• How did you meet Stryke?

I met Greg many years ago at a record store on the Beach called Y&T. He was the buyer there and every week he would hand me a stack of new records that I would love, so I immediately knew we had similar tastes in music. It wasn't 'til later that I found out that he was Stryke the DJ/producer whom I had bought records from.

• How's life after ''Dark Beat''? Are you glad the fuss is pretty much past?

''Dark Beat'' was a pleasant surprise; we really wrote that song with zero expectations. We just wanted to create a cool club track that we could play out when we DJed. The last thing we expected was that it would become an anthem like it did. As for the fuss, it has passed here, but I was in Medellín, Colombia, a few weeks ago and I began to play ''Dark Beat.'' Right before the verse began I completely shut the music off and had 2,000 people sing the entire verse word for word to me. GOOSEBUMPS!

• Do you think your latest CD is a departure?

I think it is more of a return to form for us. We had been off doing Funky Green Dogs albums on major labels for the last few years and were tired of all the bureaucracy and bullshit. We wanted to take a back-to-basics approach with this album and the label gave us total freedom to be able to do that. This album is a good sample of what we have in store for the future.

• What can we expect from your CD release party at Space?

We'll be previewing a lot of the stuff from the album as well as a lot of remixes and productions that we have been working on that have yet to be released. It's not often Ralph and I get to play together in Miami so we try to make it special. When we're done inside we'll head out to the terrace and keep the party going till noon, at least!

• What do you listen to when you need a break from dance music?

I like listening to guaguanco and other forms of traditional Cuban music. I also like to listen to groups like Massive Attack, Goldfrapp, Metro Area, experimental dubby stuff and classic rock as well.

• Do you get as excited behind the decks as the crowd does?

I'm probably more excited than they are! Although I'm not one to hop around with my hands up in the air like Tisto, I definitely enjoy what I do -- it never gets old. When I'm playing at Space and it's 5 a.m. and I look out at the floor and see a couple of thousand people yelling and jumping up and down, enjoying the music as much as I am, there's nothing like it. It's DJ heaven.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike H. always does a great job with the "ask the dj" section of Street. Not to mention photog extroirdinaire Dan "Pod" Vidal. He's the eye of Street Miami. Good job guys!! Oh, & props to Murk also... ;)

Biznation00@msn.com

Originally posted by livin42nite

Dude u don't wanna miss it, u might wanna check out their album as well. Good stuff on there.

thanks...I might give them a chance (I dont really like 34 too much)

as for their album...no thanks....I only listen to "real" house from the West coast...I am educated musically so I dont listen to the local Miami garbage....

Originally posted by djoscarg

thanks...I might give them a chance (I dont really like 34 too much)

as for their album...no thanks....I only listen to "real" house from the West coast...I am educated musically so I dont listen to the local Miami garbage....

:laugh: Bro don't just listen to one type of music, open up your world to others. There is this guy that I hope one day gets booked here, really underground so you have to really be into the dance scene to know him. Might wanna research about him, goes by the name "tiesto"

Originally posted by djoscarg

this sounds great!!!

I'll definitely try to drop by Saturday night....

Biz can you hook me up + 1?

thanks

well "how sad":boohoo:

just make sure RALPH is on the list in real BIG print so Sean the doorman lets him in.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"officer arrest this guy":tongue:

Originally posted by livin42nite

:laugh: Bro don't just listen to one type of music, open up your world to others. There is this guy that I hope one day gets booked here, really underground so you have to really be into the dance scene to know him. Might wanna research about him, goes by the name "tiesto"

dude...HELLO!!! I know my shit buddy...I have read the required books!!!

and btw:

TIESTO IS GOD!!!!!