Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Pride & Honor

igloo

Pride & Honor

The work is hard. The danger is real.

By Senator Jon Kyl

We mark another Veterans' Day with young men and women defending our country overseas. As these brave Americans carry out their missions in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere, we pause to reflect with pride on their sacrifices, and to honor the service of all those who wore the uniform before them.

It's proper that we take the time to do that, for every U.S. soldier has contributed to the freedom and prosperity America enjoys today. Our enemies are deterred whenever we demonstrate the willingness to use our power. And our allies — even those who criticize us — depend heavily on our strength to ensure their own protection.

Europeans are free and live in peace because American soldiers shed blood to liberate them from Hitler, Stalin, fascism, and Communism. And a stable Europe contributes greatly to a safer world. Today, Japan is an indispensable ally in the Far East because, after World War II, General Douglas McArthur, and others helped forge a new country modeled on American principles.

Because of the sacrifices and dedication of our veterans, the United States today is the world's unrivaled military power — admired, feared, counted on, resented, beloved. No single military has ever amassed such superior capability in all of human history, and few fighting forces have ever contributed so much to the cause of democracy and freedom.

Today, more than ever, it's important that we remember that.

In recent months, our men and women have been stationed in unstable, often volatile, areas of the world. The work is hard. The danger is real. No doubt many soldiers face hot, sleepless nights, the fear of attacks, and the painful longing for friends and family. Carrying out those duties must be even tougher when the mission that our fighting soldiers are undertaking faces skepticism, protests, and doubt back home.

I know there are concerns about the situation in Iraq. Debate and discussion of our plans there are signs of the health of our democracy. But we spend too much time in this country focusing on our setbacks and doubts and too easily dismiss what have been awesome — and unprecedented — military achievements. This tendency is reflected in the media, in our politics, in social discussions. Americans are — quite properly — told about every bombing, every American soldier's death, and every friendly-fire incident. But we are not notified — or we quickly dismiss — those times when a young American soldier protects an Iraqi mosque without incident, or when a medical team at a U.S. military hospital saves the life of a pregnant Afghan woman, or every time allied soldiers deliver school supplies, food, or medicine to Iraqi children. We don't rejoice every time a bomb does not go off in Baghdad, or every day we don't have a terrorist attack in Boston or Baltimore or Tucson.

Today, many worry about instability in Afghanistan and Iraq; they doubt our military's capacity to avoid "quagmires." How quickly they lose sight of the efficiency of our operations to topple the dreaded Taliban government — patrons of Osama bin Laden — and to eliminate, with unparalleled precision and restraint, Saddam Hussein's brutal despotism, long feared by its neighbors in the region. Our soldiers — under the direction of some of our nation's finest military leaders — carried out these critical missions with minimal casualties on either side and without destroying much of the infrastructure critical to a quick recovery.

Though you don't hear about their achievements often, our soldiers rack them up every single day. Today in the Baathist triangle near Baghdad, for example, armed soldiers are killing or capturing dozens of terrorists and Saddam allies. (Thousands of America's most violent enemies have been arrested or eliminated in the space of a few short months.) Allied forces are protecting and helping the Iraqi people build better lives throughout Iraq, which outside the Baathist triangle is generally stable and filled with people anxious to exert their newly won freedoms. Our mission is crucial to making the Middle East a more peaceful place, which itself is essential for a safer world.

Our soldiers could probably find plenty of things to complain about as they perform their duties, but most don't. Many might feel unappreciated, but they don't ask for thanks. Instead they carry out their duties skillfully, trusting in the purpose of their mission and demonstrating compassion, courage, and commitment — just as our veterans have always done since this republic was born.

— Senator Jon Kyl is a Republican senator from Arizona. He is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Terrorism, Technology, and Homeland Security.

Originally posted by igloo

...Today, many worry about instability in Afghanistan and Iraq; they doubt our military's capacity to avoid "quagmires." How quickly they lose sight of the efficiency of our operations to topple the dreaded Taliban government — patrons of Osama bin Laden — and to eliminate, with unparalleled precision and restraint, Saddam Hussein's brutal despotism, long feared by its neighbors in the region. Our soldiers — under the direction of some of our nation's finest military leaders — carried out these critical missions with minimal casualties on either side and without destroying much of the infrastructure critical to a quick recovery...

This is bullshit.

Originally posted by jamiroguy1

This is bullshit.

(1) Clarify if this is the only part of the article you rolled your eyes at. And if the answer is yes, you should have referenced this part of the article.

(2) Please explain why you think the referenced section is bullshit.

Originally posted by normalnoises

Iggy you dickless fuck, anything coming from you is bullshit. Wait a minute... It's BUSH-SHIT.

WOW...

Your ignorance and unitelligent rants never seize to amaze me....

You wEre once a man but one day your cock shriveled up, turned inside out and became a BIG VAGINA

Mr Igloo dude... very interesting article. Valid perspective of which many more should hold.

Fuck the spankers who reply, to be honest, I dont even have time to attempt to figuire out their hypocritical ideologies..

I mean they are like...

Fuck america and bush and are bully democracy ..etc.. blah blah blah..

Meanwhile, while they are saying this..

They just came back from grocery food shopping, where the selection is beyond ample and affordable, they probably just drove by three different (unbombed) churches on their street, while eating mc donalds enroute to the library/bookstore where they can find any and every sort of book EVER written.

Now you know Exactly what I mean by that rant, but I bet you a dollar those hypocritical bastards wont even have a clue...

p.s.

They were saying at least one day out of the year... Vetern's day you should go around and hug or give a handshake to every single patriot you meet. I wish that all the remaining days of the year we should all go around and beat, shoot, and stone the spankers that weaken my morale...:hat::blown:

Originally posted by jamiroguy1

speaking of unitelligent rants :rolleyes:

Fuck you... looser..

who are you? what do you do?

how many lives have you saved this past week?

exactly...

Also.. how ironic.. you spelling un-intelligent wrong...

Go find the nearest hard surface quickly..and bang your head until you pass out...

have a nice day...:cool:

it would be nice if we could allow the Veterans their own space to be honored, without self righteous bullshit being injected by people who JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THEIR OWN OPINIONS

If you want show your lack of integrity, honor, tact and your ability to criticize everything in this world, do so in another thread. The veterans of our country who FOUGHT to preserve what we have today don't deserve the kind of selfish rants that i see in here.

if you dont think that any fighting was necessary to have what we have today, I only wish more men around the world would believe the same.

Citron dude.. Im assuming your speaking generally, and not implying that Im disrespecting the intent of this thread.

I was doing quite the opposite, I realized it may be taken out of context, but do not even try to think Im one of the assholes on here..

:tongue: you probably read my post wrong.. whichever the case, Ill let you slide becuase your named after my favorite flavor of vodka...:laugh:

Originally posted by cintron

it would be nice if we could allow the Veterans their own space to be honored, without self righteous bullshit being injected by people who JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT THEIR OWN OPINIONS

If you want show your lack of integrity, honor, tact and your ability to criticize everything in this world, do so in another thread. The veterans of our country who FOUGHT to preserve what we have today don't deserve the kind of selfish rants that i see in here.

if you dont think that any fighting was necessary to have what we have today, I only wish more men around the world would believe the same.

:aright:

Originally posted by xpyrate

You never answer my questions :blank:

Sorry, but "Who would win in a fight, Alf or Barney" does not interest me...

Son, like I have said many times....stop posting...there is nothing redeeming about your constant idiosy....

would you guys read this and see what some real veterans have to say?

The origin of Veterans Day goes back to 1921 when an unidentified World War I American soldier was buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

Back then they called it "Armistice Day." But when it became apparent that the "war to end all wars" was yet another empty promise of peace through violence, "Armistice Day" became Veterans Day, via a 1954 bill signed by then President Eisenhower.

On this Veterans Day, I find myself asking: Will Armistice Day ever return? How did we go from fighting "a war to end all wars" to fighting a war without end? How do we properly honor our deserving vets at a time when U.S. policymakers have ordered our fighting men and women to serve in an illegal occupation of Iraq?

Perhaps we can honor our vets by listening to them more carefully. Here's an excerpt from a letter being sent to President Bush by a loosely affiliated group of combat vets.

"At present, U.S. soldiers are falling under attack an average of 35 times each day. To date, 381 U.S. soldiers have been killed in the war. Their lives are being lost for a policy that is unclear and an exit strategy that remains unknown.

"Mr. President, we regret that you oppose planned increases in monthly imminent danger pay and family separation allowances for troops getting bombed and shot at in Iraq.

"We also regret that your supporters in the Senate blocked a provision in the $87.5 billion emergency supplemental which would have provided $1.3 billion for veterans' health programs. This new funding would have provided urgently needed money to maintain what remains an inadequate status quo."

I guess, the flag-waving "support our troops" war cheerleaders have been too busy chastising the "anti-American" peace movement to have noticed that their commander-in-chief is not actually supporting the troops.

And because our "free press" is getting less and less access to the ground-truth in Iraq, I have been seeking out family members of those serving in Iraq in order to get a PR-free sense of what's going on over there.

Jari Sheese of Indianapolis, whose husband is currently serving in Iraq, has this to report: "He doesn't want to be there any more. There was a time he felt they were doing some good, but that has gone. He helped set up the Iraqi Media Network. He enjoyed working with the Iraqis, helping them set up six television stations and three radio stations, but since the 82nd Airborne took over, they've been making the Iraqis broadcast things like statements from generals over and over and over again.

"The Iraqis now say that it's eerily like under Saddam's regime, even calling one of the commanders 'little Saddam.' The commanders are threatening to take the Iraqis' equipment or funding away if they don't do what they say, but they advertise this 'new, free Iraq.' The military is not a democracy and this doesn't really seem like the way to help build democratic institutions there.

". . . It's incredible how badly the reservists are treated. He just got a new flak jacket about a week ago, but it doesn't have the ceramic plate. He says it's better than nothing. The media used to go to bases, but many have been kicked out now, so information is getting harder and harder to come by. Bush says that we have to stay to stop the attacks, but it's clear that our staying is causing attacks."

"Stay the course" or leave Iraq immediately? It's a false choice. Our invasion legally and morally obligates us to see the job through.

But a third way is offered by Gulf War vet Erik Gustaffason of the Education for Peace in Iraq Center. "When we talk about involving more Iraqis we're talking about giving up some control, which is a lesson the Bush administration hasn't learned yet. We need a fundamental change in policy toward Iraq."

Originally posted by igloo

Sorry, but "Who would win in a fight, Alf or Barney" does not interest me...

Son, like I have said many times....stop posting...there is nothing redeeming about your constant idiosy....

FROM ANOTHER POST from the resident idiot....

honestly, who cares about the Gross National Product anyway, it only tells us how well the richie spoiled brats are doing anyway ... what about the rest of us?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: