Clubplanet Nightlife Community

About Techno

marcodavalos

Now that Privilege has opened its doors, the band wagon for techno as a feasible alternative is completely out of proportions.

For those who know how big techno is in Colombia, and especially in Cali, the opening success of Privilege is no surprise. The continuous success of this new club won’t be determined by what the mega clubs try or can do with techno.

These people will go there, because, as a close friend told me this weekend, there was a need for a club that would attract all these colombians together. They can listen to salsa and merengue all day long, but comes Saturday nite they will go to 'their' techno club. Where the owners are their friends. Where the staff are their friends. Where they will be treated as they would back home.

So now you have a club with a marked musical orientation. A crowd exposed to it for years. A place where most of that crowd feels at home. Who can possibly think this peeps would leave behind all this to go somewhere else? My advice, try it. It is called trial and error.

My message to those who want to compete with Privilege. Good luck. You will need it. And for God sakes, Saleen knows as much of all this as he does of cumbia or vallenato. LOL .

My message to those who really love techno. You finally got a venue that will bring you the talent and sounds you like and that posseses the base crowd to make it long running. Enjoy it.

Remeber we are still in Miami.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brwneydtrouble

I used to bartend at Union Lounge on Saturday nights and the promoters were columbian. MAN that party would get CRAZY. Packed to the gills, and boy do those guys drink a lot of Black Label and Buchanan. :eek: I'd go through at least 2 bottles of each a night.

I loved going out on the dance floor every now and then, those colombianos can dance!

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by diegonyc

and for fucks sake, would someone book Richie Hawtin and Ricardo Villalobos!!!

Dont you live like 3000 miles away?

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by stryke303

what is this techno thing i keep hearing about? sounds interesting...

Nah, I dont think youd like it Greg, it just goes BANGBANGBANG incessantly. It might be too much for your gentle nature. :laugh:

Guest saleen351

yea columbia is a great club scene, this past weekend it was so great they decided to murder people in their clubs again...

wooooohoooooooooo:rolleyes:

Chris Rock " Grand opening, grand closing"

Originally posted by marcodavalos

Now that Privilege has opened its doors, the band wagon for techno as a feasible alternative is completely out of proportions.

For those who know how big techno is in Colombia, and especially in Cali, the opening success of Privilege is no surprise. The continuous success of this new club won’t be determined by what the mega clubs try or can do with techno.

These people will go there, because, as a close friend told me this weekend, there was a need for a club that would attract all these colombians together. They can listen to salsa and merengue all day long, but comes Saturday nite they will go to 'their' techno club. Where the owners are their friends. Where the staff are their friends. Where they will be treated as they would back home.

So now you have a club with a marked musical orientation. A crowd exposed to it for years. A place where most of that crowd feels at home. Who can possibly think this peeps would leave behind all this to go somewhere else? My advice, try it. It is called trial and error.

My message to those who want to compete with Privilege. Good luck. You will need it. And for God sakes, Saleen knows as much of all this as he does of cumbia or vallenato. LOL .

My message to those who really love techno. You finally got a venue that will bring you the talent and sounds you like and that posseses the base crowd to make it long running. Enjoy it.

Remeber we are still in Miami.

Marcos - I agree with your assesment and believe that Saleen is wrong in his belief that the "big Clubs" will try to horn in on the techno scene.

The problem I see is that the club is not very nice, is in a bad part of the beach, and the staff is horrible. Sure, it was opening night and they need to work out some kinks...BUT...in the end they have to make money to stay open. That can only happen if the staff does a good job, they limit theft, and get a crowd in who will spend money.

At 3AM on Saturday night I was watching the main room bar staff stand around because even though the room was full, nobody was drinking. With a crowd of "friends" from Colombia it's hard to charge them at the door and if they're not drinking, where's the money coming from?

The further you move from the mainstream the more niche your market is. They have moved well away from the mainstream and will need strong local support to make money and stay open.

Dade, one thing I know is those peeps pay to be a part of all this. I didn't check their bar operation, and for that instance, didn't even attempt to buy a drink.

As Jackie wrote a few posts back, those guys drink when they are out. If you want to target a nationality that could drink hand by hand with Irish, it is Colombians. From aguardiente to being one of the top per capita beer consumers.

Regarding the block where they are. Just bare a few weeks. The ghetto clubs are becoming a minority on that block. Last Saturday was like nite and day.

I was also told that Goddess and Six were bought by someone who is going to join both. That will be a big ass corner club just across from Luna. Just hope they don't make it hip-hop. And u still got Honey and Bash.

And to Saleen. Your answers lately just denote your lack of class bro. I give you props when it's due. But you have been slacking big time ever since your gossips started. Btw, I respect your musical taste, just don't share it.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by marcodavalos

As Jackie wrote a few posts back, those guys drink when they are out. If you want to target a nationality that could drink hand by hand with Irish, it is Colombians. From aguardiente to being one of the top per capita beer consumers.

Although they drink a lot, they didn't really tip well. A lot of times, nothing at all. :( It might have something to do with the fact that it was a younger crowd, but I do hope that its better at Privilege.

Guest saleen351

don't cha hate it when saleen is right all the time....

lets take this quote from dade: "I agree with your assesment and believe that Saleen is wrong in his belief that the "big Clubs" will try to horn in on the techno scene"

So Dade rumor has it nocturnal has or will strike a deal with a local dj, would you like to post WHO that DJ is and what that DJ plays?????

And i clearly said the big clubs would not steal it unless it made sense, they and you will sit back and wait and see if it works, and if it does then you'll steal it, just like how you were scouting hip hop djs at a certain club not too long ago... ;)

Saleen is all knowing:idea: and never ever wrong...

Ok i was wrong about the yankees but we clearly let the marlins win...

Guest saleen351

marcos it's very evident your south american heritage is getting in the way of real common sense. I would never say build tempts in miami and speak how much the guido drink etc etc, it's fundementaly flawed from the get go, this is miami, and though it has a latin culture to it, it's not columbia never will and will fail. I based my ideals on economics and markets, not music. Either nocturnal, mansion will destroy any club comming online right now...

Plus their opening went up against crobar and og's birthday, taking nothing from oscar, but when he was on the patio for months, he lost his pulling power in miami, and crobar was packed.

Now next week:

Nerve with Stryke

Crobar with who ever

Space with I think DD or lawler cant' remeber

Good luck..

Originally posted by saleen351

lets take this quote from dade: "I agree with your assesment and believe that Saleen is wrong in his belief that the "big Clubs" will try to horn in on the techno scene"

So Dade rumor has it nocturnal has or will strike a deal with a local dj, would you like to post WHO that DJ is and what that DJ plays?????

And i clearly said the big clubs would not steal it unless it made sense, they and you will sit back and wait and see if it works, and if it does then you'll steal it, just like how you were scouting hip hop djs at a certain club not too long ago... ;)

The circle is full and gets back to my original post on this thread.

Bookings alone don't generate loyalty or following. U gotta build it up. There are tons of recent examples.

Good luck. :)

I think we'll skip the DJs at Nocturnal and install a jukebox full of guido anthems for you to shove dollar bills into.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by ogmiami

I think we'll skip the DJs at Nocturnal and install a jukebox full of guido anthems for you to shove dollar bills into.

dade i'm disapointed again in you, it seems you can't beat me on this board, this is the second time I put you in your place, now you and LP both have two things in common, both of yous had a club close and both of yous got punked down by the saleen...

and make sure that juke box has a repeat feature on it.... Final Chapter again and again.........

:tongue:

dade i'm disapointed again in you, it seems you can't beat me on this board, this is the second time I put you in your place, now you and LP both have two things in common, both of yous had a club close and both of yous got punked down by the saleen...

and make sure that juke box has a repeat feature on it.... Final Chapter again and again.........

:tongue:

what clubs did you own/run again?