Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My Privileged Review!

b-side

:...:

Many have said either all good or all bad about this place… here’s my $ 0.02

Here Goes……

:banghead: Location….

Location is always the most important thing for any place to make money! And the honest truth behind 98% of the world’s club owners is to MAKE or Launder money!

The location of Privilege may kill it or Improve the area… I’m hoping it will improve the area… Only time will really tell! For this type of club I honestly would have chosen another location…. But for some reason I too have a fondness for that particular space… Over the recent years the highest point was prob. KGB.

:afro: Décor & Layout….

Not much was re-designed size or blueprint-wise… I can see why so many people complained about it being too crowded…. With the Scale of talent they’ve brought so far it’s not a hard place to pack. It’s a rather small venue even with upstairs included… This is a double edge sword… which means the place will either be packed or a ghost-town.

The dance floor is basically the same with more sound & lights.. the so called VIP area should have been done better (IMO).. Both bars are about the same size.. Upstairs was not open and I was not going to bother anyone just to see it (I doubt that much has changed). At Least the DJ booth is Finally in a GOOD spot… However I would suggest elevated monitors…

:shades: Sound & Lights….

I think DJ’s will like the simple but effective DJ booth… The “now†club standard equipment was there < 2 Tech 1200’s and 2 CDJ-1000’s on aDJM-600 > The booth is definitely the best seat in the house it gives a good view of the entire room.. and the Vane one’s can even watch themselves in the Mirror ;oP

The mirrored wall comes in handy making the room look bigger and full when people standing on the wall.. It also helps with the light too which are not bad…. For a small room it’s actually quite effective… However I would have installed a better fixture & control board (even if it meant fewer lights) and perhaps placement other than just the main floor & booth… The Light Jockey was’ O.K. but then not many have impressed me since The Girl the old 320 (sorry dear I forgot your name.. was it Michelle?)

> Nice beefy EAW main room system.. The way the room is designed Bass resonates easily… the surrounding fillers were adequate.. as I walk to the back I see a Nice Rack! (No not a girl) but the Crest Pro Line Amp Rack (approx. 6-9 amps from the 4000 & 6000 series) and a few accessories (DSP enhancers, and crossovers) also finally in the right place.

:worry: Interaction with Staff….

I actually showed up later than normal.... There was Not much of a crowd, to my surprise (and I’m sure it was unfortunately their surprise too). “Door Girl†was pretty cool not sure if she was genuinely nice or trying to cope with a slow night… Don’t think I know her but she easily let me & 3 others in.. (2 girls – 2 guys) past the velvet rope (but we were on John’s list, not the general clubs). Went inside and felt comfortable with the audio levels and vibe of the staff… they did look a little hungry for business.. so there was NO wait at all for a drink.. However they should cut the prices by 2-bucks (or team up with a liqueur vender for a monthly or weekly “all-night†special). Security was cool, I didn’t feel like I was a suspect (even though I do look suspect in some people’s eyes). I even was able to get into the DJ booth.. without too much of an ordeal….

:dj: About the DJ:

John, cordial as usual, happily shook my hand and said Hi… we chatted a moment after another mix and I left him to continue his work… He was meticulously tweaking the sound to perfection all night long! (as he usually does)… He played a great set of familiar and forgotten Classic Techno & Techno House… late in the night he took a detour through South America with a few Hard Latin House & Techno Beats (Think early Tribal with a Techno Bounce).. then he returned with more bangin’ Techno. By 4 am it was a hand full of people in different corners.. and DJ who could not figure out what went wrong… I felt bad for John.. it’s hard to play SOBE on a Friday night after thanksgiving… Esp. playing Techno! But he as a true Pro would do.. still played his ASS of… therefore I danced like a FOOL most of the night. :bootysha:

:blah: Final Thoughts…..

I can’t complain about too much except the drink$. But at least it was a REAL DRINK… Not a Bad L.I.T. (Long Island Tea)… The bartender was pretty hot and made a mean Tea.. ( Saleen, I suggest you hit this girl up if you ever go to this club).

The club is rather small for the image they are portraying..

(side note: However lately smaller venues and Ultra lounges are the “new†thing… and seem to work in most areas. If Privilege can prevail it will be because they stayed true finding a niche and working it. Nowadays there’s not much room for multiple Mega Clubs… Watch the effect Nocturnal will have on the scene if the open right and stick to a good format for just one month) . But if they stick to Techno and Tech House.. they may do well. :direct: I recommend one format for Fri. and another for Sat. & have a classic night… (no I’m not jockin’ Saleen.. but a Classic night is a NO BRAINER!, plus I’ve spent over 18 years DJ-ing and still tend to play the greatest instead of just the latest!)

Black Friday… is hard unless you’re Wall-Mart (or some other generic retail store)…

Putting The Acqua-Man on a Friday was weird to begin with…. I actually spoke to the owner who seems like an intelligent man… we exchanged cards and I await his move.

Exit Stage Left!

A lot has been said about this place and their chances for survival but the truth is that it was a bad idea to start with. Unfortunately good music alone won't overcome all the things that are working against them. A better move would have been to put their concept into the old Fuel/Living Room Downtown space. I don't understand why people don't do a little homework before throwing their money into something like this.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by ogmiami

A better move would have been to put their concept into the old Fuel/Living Room Downtown space. I don't understand why people don't do a little homework before throwing their money into something like this.

exactly............

Maybe next they'll open up a store on ocean drive that sells ski equipment....

Originally posted by saleen351

exactly............

Maybe next they'll open up a store on ocean drive that sells ski equipment....

blah....................

good review b-side. Ya the place was a little slow.....whatever. John rocked as usual. He just never seems to have a great turn out in miami. Anywhere else Ive seen him (10-15x) its been packed to the ceiling.

Nice meeting rcrespo, and cp's continueing support (lyrik, mp3some, etc) ...................see ya around

Having successfully operated nightclubs in South America for many years, I think the ownership of privilege know a thing or two about this business and how to run it. Every available venue was considered before choosing this one, since it really is the right venue for the style and atmosphere they wanted to create.

I am confident they have the drive and determination to make this work. Ultimately, it is the clubber who benefits from having such a diverse choice of music venues to go to every weekend.

And speaking of doing your homework...why all the negativity Dade? Perhaps you should dedicate more of your time & effort to your own cause. I wish you the best of luck competing against the massive marketing machine that is Space...your going to need it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by armand1210

And speaking of doing your homework...why all the negativity Dade? Perhaps you should dedicate more of your time & effort to your own cause. I wish you the best of luck competing against the massive marketing machine that is Space...your going to need it. :rolleyes:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Having successfully operated nightclubs in South America for many years, I think the ownership of privilege know a thing or two about this business and how to run it. Every available venue was considered before choosing this one, since it really is the right venue for the style and atmosphere they wanted to create.

I am confident they have the drive and determination to make this work. Ultimately, it is the clubber who benefits from having such a diverse choice of music venues to go to every weekend.

Armando, it is called the Nocturnal Marketing campaign. :rolleyes:

Guest saleen351

this is funny, armand do yourself a favor, and edit that post. You are so wrong and time will proove it. Clubs are businesses, and your business model is based on a 3rd world country where the only distractions are drugs and kipnapping. This is america and you guys fucked up so bad with your line ups, your staff and of course your drink prices. Did you have a business plan? I see Gil and Dade at every party, they are out there checking out the scene, meeting and talking to people. But you clowns took the kevin cosner route, "build it and they will come" this isn't hollywood.

You will be unemployed before you know it.

Wait according to yous, I should open up Tempts in sobe too......... What a great idea, it works up in NJ it should work everywhere.........:laugh:

Go to school, learn some business and economics, read your market better, and do your homework and don't rush into things. < if you did that you would be in much better shape.

reply all you want, your club will close or go to hip hop before you know it. By the way don't you think all 4 of your techno djs talked to the other techno djs you want to book, and you'll start to get djs who don't want to come to your club and play.

Originally posted by saleen351

this is funny, armand do yourself a favor, and edit that post. You are so wrong and time will proove it. Clubs are businesses, and your business model is based on a 3rd world country where the only distractions are drugs and kipnapping. This is america and you guys fucked up so bad with your line ups, your staff and of course your drink prices. Did you have a business plan? I see Gil and Dade at every party, they are out there checking out the scene, meeting and talking to people. But you clowns took the kevin cosner route, "build it and they will come" this isn't hollywood.

You will be unemployed before you know it.

Wait according to yous, I should open up Tempts in sobe too......... What a great idea, it works up in NJ it should work everywhere.........:laugh:

Go to school, learn some business and economics, read your market better, and do your homework and don't rush into things. < if you did that you would be in much better shape.

reply all you want, your club will close or go to hip hop before you know it. By the way don't you think all 4 of your techno djs talked to the other techno djs you want to book, and you'll start to get djs who don't want to come to your club and play.

Your mouth is too big bud.

Do yourself a favor and do a search of what you posted 12 months, six months and even two months ago.

Tempts is spring break during the summer for middle america guidos. :cool:

Do you really expect us to believe that you, Dade and Nick really have the answers to clubbing? Ok, I believe everything you guys write. Are you happy now? LOL :laugh:

What do you think Yousef went back to say? Hell, the same Thursday, Crobar had the main room opened also for hip-hop. If you are gonna play at a hip-hop party, you might as well do it at a bigger club, with reputation. What do you think L&B are gonna say? Oh, that' right, you gotta come with a girl. Not!! They will say ... bring your own walkman if you want to dance. :rolleyes::blown: This is where you 3 guys want to take us. Gimme a fucking break bro.

Here is the answer to clubbing

When u throw a bait, the fish dies because of its mouth.

Thanks for the thoroughly informative review, b-side! I should have come down for John Acquaviva because I've never heard him play and I know he's very unique. Instead I went to Nerve. Seaman bombed. :vomit3: Should've known. He had bombed at Arc too when I saw him a while back in NYC. The arcade was actually more packed than his main room.

Guest saleen351

no one said we had the answers to clubbing, but you must put your self in the best postion to succedd and this club cleary didn't...

But look on the bright side, some hip hop dj will have a great system to ruin in a few weeks...

Armand 1210, I would not exactly call Space "the massive marketing machine." Many of the people who go there are completely clueless about music and only go because they think it's cool to be there (or something). Why accuse Dade of not dedicating enough time and effort to his own cause? Like you in South America, apparently he has been in the Miami scene for a while and he owned Shadowlounge among other endeavours.

Dade, I probably don't see the marketing strategy behind your suggestion so why would you say that Privilege would have had a better chance in the Fuel/Living Room venue? Just asking...

Saleen, don't lie. You're not at every party so you don't see Gil and Dade there. Besides, you always have all these philosophies about how almost every club will close. You are right about some of them but sometimes you are too quick to judge in my opinion. Why don't you just wait and see? And that's where I agree with Marco that "your mouth is too big, bud."

Originally posted by philippio

Saleen, don't lie. You're not at every party so you don't see Gil and Dade there. Besides, you always have all these philosophies about how almost every club will close. You are right about some of them but sometimes you are too quick to judge in my opinion. Why don't you just wait and see? And that's where I agree with Marco that "your mouth is too big, bud."

:laugh: :laugh:

round one. ding ding.

Originally posted by georgeacasta2

DADE :no:

you've always been politically correct on this board why the sudden change?

It really was not my intention to be negative or to downplay what they are trying to do at Privilege. For the record, I wish them all the success in the world and I admire what they're doing. I just think that we should be realistic in our reviews and comments.

Marcos and Armando, why lash out at me with personal attacks? It's really not my intention to "take" you in any direction with the events I do. I do them for different reasons and usually have a great time being diverse. I never expect everyone to like them.

I love the idea that the club could be a place for the musically educated to gather and listen to top quality techno. I just don't think they are doing very much right. I love the music and I am in the scene and I have little desire to be uncomfortable and pay high prices to hear even music that good. Don't you think that $12 drinks in an underground club is a contradiction. Does the service have to be bad because they are about music? Other than the music, what is different or interesting about the place? Why haven't they been doing well?

Please don't take my comments as hostile. You guys are promoting the place so it's understandable that you would be sensitive to those comments. Perhaps I could have found a better, more positive way to say it and for that I am sorry.

Originally posted by pod

Why be politically correct anyway? I'm sure at some point people get tired of being nice...every once in a while I say fuck it and start tearing people a new one. Then I play nice again...:laugh:

I agree with u Dan.

There is a huuuuge difference between politically correct and being biassed.

"Politically correct" is the biggest fucking oxymoron! All it means is that someone says something to please "the higher governing powers" even though what they really mean is usually completely the opposite. There is absolutely no point in being politically correct on this board!!! Anyone can voice their own opinion. Those who know me know that I'm very direct and up-front with my comments and criticisms. My philosophy: why play games? If you have something to say, then say it (but you better be able to back it up).

Thanks for the thoroughly informative review, b-side! I should have come down for John Acquaviva because I've never heard him play and I know he's very unique. Instead I went to Nerve. Seaman bombed. :vomit3: Should've known. He had bombed at Arc too when I saw him a while back in NYC. The arcade was actually more packed than his main room.

I don't understand how people still go to Seaman. Not to bring him down...but, the last time he was here when he played after Infusion... he didn't even match beats all night...in fact ...he trainwrecked all night. His records where commercial, of bad taste, he missread the dancefloor...and ended up clearing it. For crying out loud.....he's burnt out. There's no magic behind him anymore..... its not the groovejet days.

He didn't do bad on Friday...he was on point and in a good space. I'd like to see any DJ follow Infusion though...it was tough, and he didn't follow through that night, every DJ has their bad nights...even "God" Tenaglia has terrible sets.

Originally posted by ogmiami

It really was not my intention to be negative or to downplay what they are trying to do at Privilege. For the record, I wish them all the success in the world and I admire what they're doing. I just think that we should be realistic in our reviews and comments.

Marcos and Armando, why lash out at me with personal attacks? It's really not my intention to "take" you in any direction with the events I do. I do them for different reasons and usually have a great time being diverse. I never expect everyone to like them.

I love the idea that the club could be a place for the musically educated to gather and listen to top quality techno. I just don't think they are doing very much right. I love the music and I am in the scene and I have little desire to be uncomfortable and pay high prices to hear even music that good. Don't you think that $12 drinks in an underground club is a contradiction. Does the service have to be bad because they are about music? Other than the music, what is different or interesting about the place? Why haven't they been doing well?

Please don't take my comments as hostile. You guys are promoting the place so it's understandable that you would be sensitive to those comments. Perhaps I could have found a better, more positive way to say it and for that I am sorry.

Didn't realize you had edited your post as I was watching a fútbol game. Nope I am not personally attacking you Dades. I only see the change in your intentionality, and question it. This is just an example

Attacks were the ones that went back and forth between Saleen and you a few months back.

I disagree with the Fuel/Livingroom option. Being next to Space is a suicide to say the least. And with Crobar's name coming, and Nocturnal's money, and now apparently Pacha at where club Rio even worst.

They opened in the block were much of the initial club life in Art Deco South Beach started. Where tourists are a few blocks away from the ocean and their hotels. I believe in cycles. And the cycle for a renewed 600 block could just be there. They got the best of the venues on the block in their hands.

To the point of music. Aside from Space, Privilege is the only club built today for the sole reason of music. I give them my deepest respects for this. And if they keep to their roots I believe they can make it by bringing quality electronic music there.

Talking with a couple old school peeps of Sobe's nitelife, they were laughing when I told them of Saleen's comparison of the old Space as music ... Space 34 referred as Disneyland.

They came with their own conclusion, Shadow was about music ... Nocturnal might be a high end mall with foodcourt included.

Btw, I am not a promoter for Privilege. Not yet at least. And could mean little in my books when it comes to fair treatment of a purely musical driven club.

Lastly, good luck with Nocturnal. I only wish you and the owners the best. It will be very difficult to say the least, and will demand full concentration in finishing the venue in the first place. But with some luck it might just happen in the time frame you guys need for WMC line-ups to be attracted. Sorry for making it seem to you that I'm attacking you. Questioning is far and away from attacking. And OPM is and will always be the best.

Originally posted by pod

He didn't do bad on Friday...he was on point and in a good space. I'd like to see any DJ follow Infusion though...it was tough, and he didn't follow through that night, every DJ has their bad nights...even "God" Tenaglia has terrible sets.

Any dj. with 10yrs + experience should be a "professional". Any dj. with some experience in the booth wouldn't trainwreck all night ...record after record. Your'e talking of a bad night....I'm talking about a bad mixer. How doe's following infusion or any other act influence the way you perform?? It shouldn't....specially if your'e a pro.

"Politically correct" is the biggest fucking oxymoron! All it means is that someone says something to please "the higher governing powers" even though what they really mean is usually completely the opposite. There is absolutely no point in being politically correct on this board!!! Anyone can voice their own opinion. Those who know me know that I'm very direct and up-front with my comments and criticisms. My philosophy: why play games? If you have something to say, then say it (but you better be able to back it up).

yeah, i see your point and pretty much agree with you, but Dades opinions on the board in the past have always been politically correct, that's why I said that.

Originally posted by fostech

I don't understand how people still go to Seaman. Not to bring him down...but, the last time he was here when he played after Infusion... he didn't even match beats all night...in fact ...he trainwrecked all night. His records where commercial, of bad taste, he missread the dancefloor...and ended up clearing it. For crying out loud.....he's burnt out. There's no magic behind him anymore..... its not the groovejet days.

yeah, I agree. wtf were you doing there philippio :confused: