Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Digital Cameras ????

solbeam

Originally posted by mssabina

i think it's weyes who works in a camera store... i asked a question about cam's a while ago and she was very knowledgable... i need suggestions too!

i'm so touched that you remember that touched.gif !

although canon is my favorite brand, i really don't like the elph series. people like them because they're small, but i think that's mostly all they've got going for them.

i much prefer the a70, if you want a 3.2 megapixel.

prod_img.jpg

most of the functions on the sd100 are hidden within menus, whereas, on the a70, the most important features are on a dial on the top of the camera. this is not only more user-friendly, but faster, and gives one a better chance of actually getting the picture (the photographer will be taking the picture instead of still fiddling with buttons and menus).

the screen on the a70 has a durable plastic coating over it, and i believe that the sd100 does not. i'll check on that tomorrow, though, to be sure, and'll edit this if that's not so.

and, even though the a70's bigger, it's got a grip that i like.

then there's the compact flash v. secure disk argument, and although that's not all that important... more and more cameras are using sd these days, and i'm not sure what that means. all of the other canons and nikons continue to use compact flash. i prefer compact flash 'cause it's more durable, harder to damage, and, because it was one of the very first media, it's used on a lot of old equipment (like print-from-card printers and whatnot), which can come in handy.

i'm asking for a digital for christmas/my b'day (dec. 27th ;) ), and i'm having trouble deciding between a few canons and the sony v-1, which can focus in total darkness and then take color pics w/ flash, and even take pics in total darkness, without flash (they're green though, like night vision would be). that'd be useful for me, since i'd mostly be using the cam to take pics in clubs. i was waiting for the slrs to get cheaper, but that's taking too long :( .

Originally posted by weyes

i'm so touched that you remember that touched.gif !

although canon is my favorite brand, i really don't like the elph series. people like them because they're small, but i think that's mostly all they've got going for them.

i much prefer the a70, if you want a 3.2 megapixel.

prod_img.jpg

most of the functions on the sd100 are hidden within menus, whereas, on the a70, the most important features are on a dial on the top of the camera. this is not only more user-friendly, but faster, and gives one a better chance of actually getting the picture (the photographer will be taking the picture instead of still fiddling with buttons and menus).

the screen on the a70 has a durable plastic coating over it, and i believe that the sd100 does not. i'll check on that tomorrow, though, to be sure, and'll edit this if that's not so.

and, even though the a70's bigger, it's got a grip that i like.

then there's the compact flash v. secure disk argument, and although that's not all that important... more and more cameras are using sd these days, and i'm not sure what that means. all of the other canons and nikons continue to use compact flash. i prefer compact flash 'cause it's more durable, harder to damage, and, because it was one of the very first media, it's used on a lot of old equipment (like print-from-card printers and whatnot), which can come in handy.

i'm asking for a digital for christmas/my b'day (dec. 27th ;) ), and i'm having trouble deciding between a few canons and the sony v-1, which can focus in total darkness and then take color pics w/ flash, and even take pics in total darkness, without flash (they're green though, like night vision would be). that'd be useful for me, since i'd mostly be using the cam to take pics in clubs. i was waiting for the slrs to get cheaper, but that's taking too long :( .

wow..you do know a lot about cams...thanks!!

...i really want an slr, but as weyes said, the prices havent come down yet...you need at least a 1000 to get something decent...fook that...this a70 is in the $400 and under range...not too bad...i wanted something with more optical zoom though...

Originally posted by phatman

...this a70 is in the $400 and under range...not too bad...i wanted something with more optical zoom though...

i forgot to mention that it's $299 just about everywhere (check out ritzcamera.com).

funkyfresh - i still haven't seen any stills or moving images from paris' tape, but someone just told me today that it was shot in night vision :laugh: ! so, one of the parties didn't know s/he was being filmed?