Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Did NE1 go to spirit?

icup

I went on saturday- it was the grand opening, wasn't feeling it, supposed to be like 3 different levels- well I got comped to get in and all we got onto was the main floor. There is supposed to be a holistic center where they giver you massages, I never seen that, and also the restaurant I couldn't get into. Overall, sound system and crowd was wack.

Originally posted by wonderbread

I went on saturday- it was the grand opening, wasn't feeling it, supposed to be like 3 different levels- well I got comped to get in and all we got onto was the main floor. There is supposed to be a holistic center where they giver you massages, I never seen that, and also the restaurant I couldn't get into. Overall, sound system and crowd was wack.

Sounds very promising indeed!:eek:

Originally posted by wonderbread

Sorry I have to disagree with most of this review.

Here is my take on it:

Firstly I have to congratulate Robbie Wooten and al the staff for doing such a great job with the space.

The entrance was smooth and simple with all security guards (Dressed in White) both respectful and courteous.

Coat check was a little manic as it's in the path of the entrance and caused a bit of a bottle neck.

At this point there is really no resemblence to the space we knew as Twilo. The entrance stairs go down to the main floor room which is nicely designed and laid out.

The room seems a lot smaller than before but some of that room is taken up by a fixed stage sitting under a huge globe with projections screens either side of it.

The sound system in my opinion did not sound good at all. No clarity and at times a bit muffled. This I'm sure is just and EQ'ing issue that can be corrected.

The performance's were OK I guess. Kind of Riverdance meets New Age Ballet.

The naked girl with the hoola hoop however did a great job of performing well to the music being played.

Lots of lights and projections created a somewhat bright room which at times seemed to blind you with light.

The design of the room is that the 2nd and 3rd floors have been half removed to create an atrium effect that allows the secons the 3rd floor to look down over the dancefloor and stage.

The second floor consists of a sweep around balcony (VIP Room) wich also houses the DJ booth, light and sound console. The ceilings on the fllor are very low and create a dark and secluded VIP room.

The 3rd floor is the 160 seater restaurant, bar and Holistic center,

Aromatherapy massage rooms, Henna tattooist and reflexology are just some of the concepts here which some might find gimmicky, but seemed to work well inside the club.

Throughtout the space there are nooks and crannies to explore and performance artists doing little shows in several places.

The restaurant menu had a good selection and well priced.

Very cool to be able to sit at your table eating and drinking and looking down at the dancefloor. The music in the food area was very New Agey!

Drinks are all well priced and I think this place will do very well with an older crowd.

The age group on Saturday was older and funny to see people walking around sometimes looking a little lost.

The few Drag Queens that were there seemed to look outta place. Don't really think it's a venue for that at this point.

I think the concept of Spirit is definitely over some people's heads and not sure if NYC is really ready for it just yet.

What works in Europe doesn't always translate in the US.

I think however that this is targetted at an older crowd.

SF/Exit/Crobar/ types will probably NOT like it.

I look forward to the official opening next Saturday with David Morales.

Originally posted by john62

Sorry I have to disagree with most of this review.

Here is my take on it:

Firstly I have to congratulate Robbie Wooten and al the staff for doing such a great job with the space.

The entrance was smooth and simple with all security guards (Dressed in White) both respectful and courteous.

Coat check was a little manic as it's in the path of the entrance and caused a bit of a bottle neck.

At this point there is really no resemblence to the space we knew as Twilo. The entrance stairs go down to the main floor room which is nicely designed and laid out.

The room seems a lot smaller than before but some of that room is taken up by a fixed stage sitting under a huge globe with projections screens either side of it.

The sound system in my opinion did not sound good at all. No clarity and at times a bit muffled. This I'm sure is just and EQ'ing issue that can be corrected.

The performance's were OK I guess. Kind of Riverdance meets New Age Ballet.

The naked girl with the hoola hoop however did a great job of performing well to the music being played.

Lots of lights and projections created a somewhat bright room which at times seemed to blind you with light.

The design of the room is that the 2nd and 3rd floors have been half removed to create an atrium effect that allows the secons the 3rd floor to look down over the dancefloor and stage.

The second floor consists of a sweep around balcony (VIP Room) wich also houses the DJ booth, light and sound console. The ceilings on the fllor are very low and create a dark and secluded VIP room.

The 3rd floor is the 160 seater restaurant, bar and Holistic center,

Aromatherapy massage rooms, Henna tattooist and reflexology are just some of the concepts here which some might find gimmicky, but seemed to work well inside the club.

Throughtout the space there are nooks and crannies to explore and performance artists doing little shows in several places.

The restaurant menu had a good selection and well priced.

Very cool to be able to sit at your table eating and drinking and looking down at the dancefloor. The music in the food area was very New Agey!

Drinks are all well priced and I think this place will do very well with an older crowd.

The age group on Saturday was older and funny to see people walking around sometimes looking a little lost.

The few Drag Queens that were there seemed to look outta place. Don't really think it's a venue for that at this point.

I think the concept of Spirit is definitely over some people's heads and not sure if NYC is really ready for it just yet.

What works in Europe doesn't always translate in the US.

I think however that this is targetted at an older crowd.

SF/Exit/Crobar/ types will probably NOT like it.

I look forward to the official opening next Saturday with David Morales.

did you say the sf, exite, crobar crowd prob wont liek it?? thats the best review ive ever heard-lmfao- then maybe this place does have a shot a being somehting cool, and worhty- yea yea yea!!!