• Not quite sure.....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by fended

nerd:tongue:

Youre just jealous that I'm no longer the president of your fan club. Get over it, it's all about Matt Spector now....:tongue:

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by sotuorlando

I dont think it will ever happen. I dont think LP is a big fan of the break. I wish they would though, I think club owners in Miami underestimate how many people like breaks. With that said I dont think it would work in Space.

Youre a crappy promoter Orly, youre supposed to say YEAH!!! SOTU ALL THE WAY!

it will NEVER happen, or at least for the time being!!! Too many people either associate breakbeats with the oldskool underground rave scene, or they just dont have any knowledge of them what so ever!!!:rolleyes:

Along with breaks, comes b-boys, sneakers, and the other stereotypical crowd that supports breaks which is not in any clubs interests... at least not in downtown or sobe...

Peeps are not ready for it, but it would be a nice change from the ordinary...

at least educate the miami scene with some uk breaks, which i think are easier to dance to, then on to the FUNKY breaks that u could only hear up north;)

my 2 cents

I leave and go to lunch, come back and see a great topic on hand.

I Would love to see it, doubt it will happen at Space, but that way we can keep it up in Laudy for the the most part.

I guess I am a gook and a rave crack head, since I Love them.

If I go out and hear the same house songs one more time I am going to slit my wrists. Thats why I am being selective with my night outs and picking the different places to go.

ie: Delux, CP BBQ's.

Guest brwneydtrouble

I think that very few people have realized that breaks as a genre have evolved just like all other EM genres. Those b-boys and their sneakers don't need drugs to enjoy the music, and turn dancing into an artform, the way it SHOULD be.

Like Obby's t-shirt says Intelligent Sounds Attract Intelligent People, break beats are complex and filled with melodies, counter-melodies, harmonies and wicked bass lines. Honestly, there's a little too much going on for your typical househead or trancehead who is used to straight beats. I think it takes a truly gifted ear to catch everything.

Originally posted by beatfriek

it will NEVER happen, or at least for the time being!!! Too many people either associate breakbeats with the oldskool underground rave scene, or they just dont have any knowledge of them what so ever!!!:rolleyes:

Along with breaks, comes b-boys, sneakers, and the other stereotypical crowd that supports breaks which is not in any clubs interests... at least not in downtown or sobe...

my 2 cents

This is to a certain extent true. Unlike the House or Tranceheads, a lot of the Breakers, and even moreso the Junglists, refuse to adjust to Miami's dresscode, and start whining like crazy about how the doormen didn't let them in.

James Z. doesn't just play Breaks, neither do guys like Burridge, and they're also highly associated with the Global underground guys. That gives them a certain greenlight to play whatever they choose.

You need to try getting a good successful Breakbeat night going at Privilege (Friday nights perhaps) or Nerve before proposing that the mainroom of one of the biggest clubs in the country should consider it on a weekly basis.

You might be surprised to know that Markus, and even Acosta, can spin Breaks and Electro just as good as any of the DJs you mentioned.

See if you can get some real interest in having Hybrid do the mainroom or the terrace at Space with their band, or Adam Freeland and his band. Find out how many people would come out for guys like Plump DJs, Lee Coombs, and all the other major players.

My personal favorite Breakbeat DJ in Florida is Sharaz, who can either play a straight up Funky Breaks set, or juggle Chicago House, Jazzy House, global Breaks, and Hard House, depending on what he feels the crowd wants (and on how mainstream or "underground" he perceives them to be). Has he ever played in Miami?

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by CHRles

This is to a certain extent true. Unlike the House or Tranceheads, a lot of the Breakers, and even moreso the Junglists, refuse to adjust to Miami's dresscode, and start whining like crazy about how the doormen didn't let them in.

James Z. doesn't just play Breaks, neither do guys like Burridge, and they're also highly associated with the Global underground guys. That gives them a certain greenlight to play whatever they choose.

You need to try getting a good successful Breakbeat night going at Privilege (Friday nights perhaps) or Nerve before proposing that the mainroom of one of the biggest clubs in the country should consider it on a weekly basis.

You might be surprised to know that Markus, and even Acosta, can spin Breaks and Electro just as good as any of the DJs you mentioned.

See if you can get some real interest in having Hybrid do the mainroom or the terrace at Space with their band, or Adam Freeland and his band. Find out how many people would come out for guys like Plump DJs, Lee Coombs, and all the other major players.

My personal favorite Breakbeat DJ in Florida is Sharaz, who can either play a straight up Funky Breaks set, or juggle Chicago House, Jazzy House, global Breaks, and Hard House, depending on what he feels the crowd wants (and on how mainstream or "underground" he perceives them to be). Has he ever played in Miami?

We had a pretty damn successful friday night going at Venu, formerly the Edge, but had to close for renovations and that was all just locals such as Merlyn, Ash Rock, Wendel, Sean Bauzay and djFX. Not to mention the incredible turnout we had for Jackal and Hyde in July and recently the Halloween party with Baby Anne. I/O does very well and is ALWAYS packed whenever I have gone whether its breaks, jungle or D&B.

I would break necks to try to get Plump DJ's, Lee Coombs, or Adam Freelan out here, matter of fact a couple of us mentioned having a Marine Parade party somewhere not too long ago.

I think that the few of us breaks promoters need to get together and really do something about it, and not just for WMC.

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

Like Obby's t-shirt says Intelligent Sounds Attract Intelligent People, break beats are complex and filled with melodies, counter-melodies, harmonies and wicked bass lines. Honestly, there's a little too much going on for your typical househead or trancehead who is used to straight beats. I think it takes a truly gifted ear to catch everything.

I got dragged to this thread by you, so i'm going to throw in my .02.

I"ve had it with the "Breaks are for intelligent people" argument.

I've seen this bullshit high and mighty approach to enlightened musical perception come from the breaks crowd and the drum and bass crowd, [which is just breaks playing at 45], as if the concept of a stuttered beat suddenly opens up rainbows of intellectual enlightenment to shine down from the heavens.

fuck the bullshit.

Breaks, just like trance, are a form of HOUSE. House is an evolution of DISCO. Disco is an evolution of Motown. Check your roots - you'll see we're under the same tree. Just different branches.

Your IQ isnt going to triple suddenly just because you think that the beats are "so intelligently placed", that the only people who could possibly listen to and understand this godlike profundity are those who drive flying cars and wear futuristic clothing, live in art deco apartments and have conversations about the levels of spiritual enlighenment that a synthisizer can provide.

Save your breath.

I spun breaks when i first got into spinning. THey're fun, they're energetic and they've got plenty of variety. Fatboy slim to Cut La Roc, Bassbin Twins, DeeJay Punk Roc... that was my shit.

Do I look down on other art forms because of what I enjoyed? Fuck no. It was about what made me happy and what allowed me to relate to others.

I'm all for breaks parties, but if it only comes with the elitist, exclusive crowd i'm getting a hint of here, then in my opinion, you can shove your breaks up your ass and stay home.

Parties are for celebrating and enjoying the concept of a COMMUNITY. Diss house all you want because we're "simpletons", but maybe you should lower your nose just enough to catch a few hints from the warm "dumb" house crowd.