• Aint gonna happen.
    • Not quite sure.....

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by cintron

I got dragged to this thread by you, so i'm going to throw in my .02.

I"ve had it with the "Breaks are for intelligent people" argument.

I've seen this bullshit high and mighty approach to enlightened musical perception come from the breaks crowd and the drum and bass crowd, [which is just breaks playing at 45], as if the concept of a stuttered beat suddenly opens up rainbows of intellectual enlightenment to shine down from the heavens.

fuck the bullshit.

Breaks, just like trance, are a form of HOUSE. House is an evolution of DISCO. Disco is an evolution of Motown. Check your roots - you'll see we're under the same tree. Just different branches.

Your IQ isnt going to triple suddenly just because you think that the beats are "so intelligently placed", that the only people who could possibly listen to and understand this godlike music are the people who drive flying cars and wear futuristic clothing.

Save your breath.

I spun breaks when i first got into spinning. THey're fun, they're energetic and they've got plenty of variety. Fatboy slim to Cut La Roc, Bassbin Twins, DeeJay Punk Roc... that was my shit.

Do I look down on other art forms because of what I enjoyed? Fuck no. It was about what made me happy and what allowed me to relate to others.

I'm all for breaks parties, but if it only comes with the elitist, exclusive crowd i'm getting a hint of here, then in my opinion, you can shove your breaks up your ass and stay home.

Parties are for celebrating and enjoying the concept of a COMMUNITY. Diss house all you want because we're "simpletons", but maybe you should lower your nose just enough to catch a few hints from the warm "dumb" house crowd.

You missed my point Eric, Im not saying that breaks are elitist, that is not the point that I am trying to make. Its actually the complete opposite. Many people here view breaks, D&B and jungle with the same view - that its all for kids, the candy ravers and such and dont realize that there is more of an audience for this form of music than they think.

Not that I really care what people think anyway. In my opinion, everyone can go to hell.

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

You missed my point Eric, Im not saying that breaks are elitist, that is not the point that I am trying to make. Its actually the complete opposite. Many people here view breaks, D&B and jungle with the same view - that its all for kids, the candy ravers and such and dont realize that there is more of an audience for this form of music than they think.

Not that I really care what people think anyway. In my opinion, everyone can go to hell.

WELL THEN TAKE YER FUCKIN WAREHOUSE GOON CANDYRAVERS WITH YOU. ;)

:itsok::hoparound

Guest brwneydtrouble

WELL THEN TAKE YER FUCKIN WAREHOUSE GOON CANDYRAVERS WITH YOU. ;)

:itsok::hoparound

Youre gonna get an ass whoopin from me mister, causing all kinds of trouble in here......

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by dudeitzdiesel

HEY IM A GOOK WTF!

j/p :cool:

Hey, isn't a GOOK a chinese person? Im totally lost here, someone please edumacate me.

Hey, isn't a GOOK a chinese person? Im totally lost here, someone please edumacate me.

No, gooks are meant for Koreans. Chinks are for Chinese people. But they're all derogatory anyways, so we shouldn't be saying them. :cool:

A month ago or so we threw some events at Pearl Champaign Lounge and Joey purposely threw down a progressive breaks set that was complimented by many. Even the managers. If an elegant place such as Pearl can appreciate some intelligent sounding breaks then why can others which are not so elegant?????????

Breaks are a must in my eyes. Especially at the peak of ones set.

Just my thoughts.

OBBY

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by chaflas

No, gooks are meant for Koreans. Chinks are for Chinese people. But they're all derogatory anyways, so we shouldn't be saying them. :cool:

Ok, armed with that knowledge, Saleen's remark makde NO sense whatsoever.

Bobbalou, I think that they need to just have it billed as a regular night and drop some dirty funky breaks in the middle of the night. No warning, nothing. That would make me SOOOOO happy, to see the looks on people's faces. :D

And to answer my own question, I'd like to see SOTU on the dex at Space.

There's good and bad music in all genres of (electronic) music...that's where the quality of the selector comes heavily into play.

Furthermore, there are tons of variety that can be achieved in any given genre. Something produced by Icey and something put together by Momu will sound miles apart from each other, though they'd be thrown into the same bin together, as far as genre goes.

Fact is, there are plenty of tracks that house-heads would love that would fall into the breaks category and vice versa...it's all up to the DJ to make choice selections and to put it together well.

Finally, I doubt most of the clubbing community would know the difference anyways...it's a style that has been pushed off to the side in this town...for now...

as solid producers like Plump DJ's, Coombs, Koma & Bones, Blim, Freeland/Marine Parade etc continue to forge through elsewhere...Miami will learn and adapt and realize what they've been missing out on for I dunno how long. Some of the top nights in the UK right now are predominantly of the breakbeat variety. It's only a matter of time.

My experience tells me though that it don't matter what the fuck style you're playing...it's all about the style with which you play that matters.

FX

And to answer my own question, I'd like to see SOTU on the dex at Space.

Thanks Jaclyn

I must say though there are many people on this board that have impressed me with their sounds as well so I myself would love to share the decks with them.

"Why have one when you can have them all"

Guest brwneydtrouble

*sigh*

peeps always forgetting Meat Katie.

sheesh.

I didn't forget, just not a huge Meat Katie fan. Same as Lee Coombs.

I think that breaks would "work" at Space if they were gradually introduced to the crowd there...i.e. a house DJ who can throw a few into his set, gradually working up to an opener who does it, down to maybe a headliner, or a seperate breaks DJ in the side room, which would be nice....

Guest saleen351

outside of miami, breaks go along with gooks selling k to each other wearing UFOs, pretty lights, t shirts etc... it's bottom feeding at it's worst.. It's a drug culture for freaks and those who have zero fucking clue about choons. Breaks are way beneath trance... It's a bunch of kids who never grew up, these are the same morons who are on the beach with their backpacks that have STR8 EDGE stickers on them, yet their backpack is filled with Jars and they do those stick thingys, you know where you hold 2 sticks and you flip the other stick in the air....

I wish you guys could have seen the best thread ever on cp, "keep asians out of exit" it was on drama, and had 1000's of replys until Dave deleted it....

Breaks are for children....

Originally posted by saleen351

outside of miami, breaks go along with gooks selling k to each other wearing UFOs, pretty lights, t shirts etc... it's bottom feeding at it's worst.. It's a drug culture for freaks and those who have zero fucking clue about choons. Breaks are way beneath trance... It's a bunch of kids who never grew up, these are the same morons who are on the beach with their backpacks that have STR8 EDGE stickers on them, yet their backpack is filled with Jars and they do those stick thingys, you know where you hold 2 sticks and you flip the other stick in the air....

I wish you guys could have seen the best thread ever on cp, "keep asians out of exit" it was on drama, and had 1000's of replys until Dave deleted it....

Breaks are for children....

:laugh: :laugh: