Guest brwneydtrouble

Would breaks work at Space?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would breaks work at Space?

• Hell yeah!
    • Aint gonna happen.
    • Not quite sure.....

Originally posted by saleen351

outside of miami, breaks go along with gooks selling k to each other wearing UFOs, pretty lights, t shirts etc... it's bottom feeding at it's worst.. It's a drug culture for freaks and those who have zero fucking clue about choons. Breaks are way beneath trance... It's a bunch of kids who never grew up, these are the same morons who are on the beach with their backpacks that have STR8 EDGE stickers on them, yet their backpack is filled with Jars and they do those stick thingys, you know where you hold 2 sticks and you flip the other stick in the air....

I wish you guys could have seen the best thread ever on cp, "keep asians out of exit" it was on drama, and had 1000's of replys until Dave deleted it....

Breaks are for children....

Yeah, obviously......:rolleyes:

Florida and Breaks go hand in hand IMO. Since you are from NY/NJ or whatever, you will never understand it. It's too complicated for you, we understand...........or not!

:D

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by pod

I think that breaks would "work" at Space if they were gradually introduced to the crowd there...i.e. a house DJ who can throw a few into his set, gradually working up to an opener who does it, down to maybe a headliner, or a seperate breaks DJ in the side room, which would be nice....

I know one or two local dj's that can handle that task.

I wish you guys could have seen the best thread ever on cp, "keep asians out of exit" it was on drama, and had 1000's of replys until Dave deleted it....

HOLY SHIT hahahaha

best thread EVER!.

as for music... I dont mind breaks but different parts of the country have different crowds.

Midwest/rural areas: Breaks are EXACTLY as Saleen said.

Dont even dispute. you go to an indiana or upstate NY rave and i'll show you what "Stereotype" really looks like.

Urban areas like manhattan, breaks crowds tend to be the self-labeled "evolved" music crowd, who use the genre as a symbol of their musical maturity and selective prowess.

as for me. nah.

breaks are clean and precise. nice to admire like a piece of artwork.

house is like grandma's cookin' ;) aint much to look at but DAMN if you dont feel it for days afterward

Originally posted by xxgrooveericxx

Yeah, obviously......:rolleyes:

Florida and Breaks go hand in hand IMO. Since you are from NY/NJ or whatever, you will never understand it. It's too complicated for you, we understand...........or not!

:D

That's BS. New York is where American Breaks started. Afrika Bambaataa anyone? The thing is, people from New York, for the most part, see FUNKY Breaks (but not all Breaks) as either has-been early 80s Electro music, or as early 90s Oldskool Rave, and clubbers in NYC laugh or frown when they hear much of the Funky Breaks productions coming out Central Florida. To them it sounds like something New York producers were doing 20 years ago with inferior technology.

And what about all the Bootleg Breaks from FL and the Midwest? Here's an example of some Bootleg Breaks records you'll hear in so called cheesy "underground" raves and clubs in America:

http://www.alltimepartytime.com/R2M/WARPED_01.ram

Originally posted by cintron

to me those aren't breaks. that is just cheesy mainstream crap.

I dont care what beat is under it.

Most of the kids can't distinguish the difference though. All they care about is that DJ Noname is "all about the Breaks", or "all about the Funk". The actual records don't matter, only how obvious the sound is.

Anyone who's stepped into some of the clubs in Central FL, or even Ft. Myers and Jacksonville, knows what I'm talking about. It creates both a big misconception about Breaks, and made a lot of us House and Trance fans around here not want to hear any Breaks whatsoever for a while.

I should mention though that there's now less crappy producers in Florida's Breakbeat scene, and more creative juices are flowing among the new and vetran DJ/producers. It seems that now that the scene is smaller, much of the rif raf "jump on the bandwagon" types went away, and many of those who have stayed have slowly evolved.

outside of miami, breaks go along with gooks selling k to each other wearing UFOs, pretty lights, t shirts etc... it's bottom feeding at it's worst.. It's a drug culture for freaks and those who have zero fucking clue about choons. Breaks are way beneath trance... It's a bunch of kids who never grew up, these are the same morons who are on the beach with their backpacks that have STR8 EDGE stickers on them, yet their backpack is filled with Jars and they do those stick thingys, you know where you hold 2 sticks and you flip the other stick in the air....

Hey Saleen...what was that track you thought blew the house down when Oakenfold played NV...Rennie Pilgrim if I am not mistaken...

Would you like a lollypop lil' boy...cause that's as full-on breaks as you're ever gonna get!

FX

Originally posted by CHRles

That's BS. New York is where American Breaks started. Afrika Bambaataa anyone? The thing is, people from New York, for the most part, see FUNKY Breaks (but not all Breaks) as either has-been early 80s Electro music, or as early 90s Oldskool Rave, and clubbers in NYC laugh or frown when they hear much of the Funky Breaks productions coming out Central Florida. To them it sounds like something New York producers were doing 20 years ago with inferior technology.

And what about all the Bootleg Breaks from FL and the Midwest? Here's an example of some Bootleg Breaks records you'll hear in so called cheesy "underground" raves and clubs in America:

http://www.alltimepartytime.com/R2M/WARPED_01.ram

OK

Like I said, "in my opinion".....doesn't mean I am right or wrong

Incredible!!!!!!!!!

I've never been a fan of "Florida Breaks", as some people call it. But, I am a HUGE fan of the "UK Breaks" sound. I've been into this sound for a long time and brought a lot of those guys to Shadow over the years and continue to do it as often as I can.

I can tell you that the people who came to Shadow to see guys like Adam Freeland, Freq Nasty, Hybrid were a great crowd. Most were really into all genres of dance and not one sound or another exclusively as seems to be the case with a lot of clubbers now. People were more willing to open up to something different back then...or so it seemed.

Last conference we did "UK Breaks" rooms at the Hooj party and the Perfecto Party and both nights went completely mental. Most of the "progressive" or "Trance" DJs will drop a breaks track or three in the middle of their set, and the place usually goes off.

All this stereotyping of different types of dance music only serves to limit the scene. People miss so much great music because they don't like the label.

Originally posted by ogmiami

I've never been a fan of "Florida Breaks", as some people call it. But, I am a HUGE fan of the "UK Breaks" sound. I've been into this sound for a long time and brought a lot of those guys to Shadow over the years and continue to do it as often as I can.

I can tell you that the people who came to Shadow to see guys like Adam Freeland, Freq Nasty, Hybrid were a great crowd. Most were really into all genres of dance and not one sound or another exclusively as seems to be the case with a lot of clubbers now. People were more willing to open up to something different back then...or so it seemed.

Last conference we did "UK Breaks" rooms at the Hooj party and the Perfecto Party and both nights went completely mental. Most of the "progressive" or "Trance" DJs will drop a breaks track or three in the middle of their set, and the place usually goes off.

All this stereotyping of different types of dance music only serves to limit the scene. People miss so much great music because they don't like the label.

I couldn't agree more, its funny when i drop a little meat katie or coombs into my sets people come a running and are like that track was great but if i tell its breaks before hand they are negative about it, so i rarely tell people its breaks anymore...

Guest saleen351

GET A CLUE

am

the creator, and this is my house!

And, in my house there is ONLY house music.

But, I am not so selfish because once you enter my house it then becomes OUR house and OUR house music!"

And, you see, no one man owns house because house music is a universal language, spoken and understood by all.

You see, house is a feeling that no one can understand really unless you're deep into the vibe of house.

House is an uncontrollable desire to jack your body.

And, as I told you before, this is our house and our house music.

And in every house, you understand, there is a keeper.

And, in this house, the keeper is Jack.

Now some of you who might wonder,

"Who is Jack, and what is it that Jack does?"

Jack is the one who gives you the power to jack your body!

Jack is the one who gives you the power to do the snake.

Jack is the one who gives you the key to the wiggly worm.

Jack is the one who learns you how to walk your body.

Jack is the one that can bring nations and nations of all Jackers together under one house.

You may be black, you may be white; you may be Jew or Gentile. It don't make a difference in OUR House.

And this is fresh

GET A CLUE

am

the creator, and this is my house!

And, in my house there is ONLY house music.

But, I am not so selfish because once you enter my house it then becomes OUR house and OUR house music!"

And, you see, no one man owns house because house music is a universal language, spoken and understood by all.

You see, house is a feeling that no one can understand really unless you're deep into the vibe of house.

House is an uncontrollable desire to jack your body.

And, as I told you before, this is our house and our house music.

And in every house, you understand, there is a keeper.

And, in this house, the keeper is Jack.

Now some of you who might wonder,

"Who is Jack, and what is it that Jack does?"

Jack is the one who gives you the power to jack your body!

Jack is the one who gives you the power to do the snake.

Jack is the one who gives you the key to the wiggly worm.

Jack is the one who learns you how to walk your body.

Jack is the one that can bring nations and nations of all Jackers together under one house.

You may be black, you may be white; you may be Jew or Gentile. It don't make a difference in OUR House.

And this is fresh

of course, classic ;)

of course, classic ;)

You said it.

Classic

Old

What Used To Be

It sounds to me like it is more of "Jacks House" than it is "Our House". For if it was "Our House" we would be more opened minded these days.

Originally posted by obby

You said it.

Classic

Old

What Used To Be

It sounds to me like it is more of "Jacks House" than it is "Our House". For if it was "Our House" we would be more opened minded these days.

ain't nothing wrong with old and what used to be...

since What Used To Be is still a large part [and in many cases, important elements] of what IS. That's where we get our tracks from.

as for "Open Minded"...

well that's our fault really. We let new jacks come in and make Our House into a House for Jackers Only. Never educated em.

Just spurned them and when they took over, we moved elsewhere.

Every scene is the same in that respect. Breaks, House, Techno, Trance, Jungle...

ain't nothing wrong with old and what used to be...

since What Used To Be is still a large part [and in many cases, important elements] of what IS. That's where we get our tracks from.

as for "Open Minded"...

well that's our fault really. We let new jacks come in and make Our House into a House for Jackers Only. Never educated em.

Just spurned them and when they took over, we moved elsewhere.

Every scene is the same in that respect. Breaks, House, Techno, Trance, Jungle...

Right!!!!!

:confused:

TAKEN FROM A SALEEN REVIEW:

"though he did drop a track that i'm saying right now is

the best track of the calendar year.. hands down...

Renni Pilgrim - Zero - comming out on perfecto....

thanks for the id ogmiami

progressive funk with breaks!!! best way to describe it

... at first the crowd was like WTF is this, and all of

sudden they got into it....

so did i and hog and lots of ass.. dopest track right

now!! hands down... and i was also told its one of okies

top 5 tracks right now.. I guess i have a good ear"

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by blendprod

:laugh: Busted.

There's hope for the Saleen after all.

Thanks for taggin' that one on the ass for me!!! I knew it!!!

hehehehe

FX