Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tong was Awful

Maybe I'm not as in tune with the technical aspect of spinning as some of the rest of the people on this board portray themselves to be...but I thought Tong was FUCKING great! I did not stop dancing at all...and he had me worn out by 4:30. Maybe I'm just a rookie compared to some of the more knowledgeable people here, but if the guy is able to get the crowd jumping and screaming the way he did, that usually means he's pretty damn good. But hey, to each his own. Peace.

cwm9.gif i'm down in south beach right now, so i'm a little out of it, don't know where you guys saw him last but he was here at space saturday night and he was fabulous. first time seeing him live and luved it. did you guys not like the music or not like the mixes?

Tongy was exactly what I thought he was going to be. He didn't play complete cheesse, but his track selection was as stale as year old bread. It was just a shame that he had to ruin the groove that papa and Quiver laid down before hand.

The rest of the night made up for EVERYTHING though.

For those of you who don't know Dave Seaman, check him out on Saturday, he is a genius and a perfectionist with his mixing.

------------------

*************************I got to thank god for the music.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Tong is not the BEST DJ out there . . . he train wrecked more than once that night and his selection was . . . how do I say it . . . SAFE. It wasn't too cheesy like Judge Jules but not too daring as well like Sasha. He stuck to what he knew everyone liked. He played it safe. AND he would of gotten away with it if he didn't mess up with his spinning.

But what do you expect? It's Pete Tong!

BlueAngel

------------------

"The trouble with life in the fast lane is that you get to the other end in an awful hurry."

angel.gif

Originally posted by twilogoddess:

I can't believe what I'm reading..how Tong was off the hoook. His track selection was BORING & his mixing skillz were poor. I have a feeling some of U agree w/me but don't wanna voice ur opinion b/c everyone else is sayin how great he was.

DJ

i was saying that in twilo that night. there was this buzz going around like, 'damn tongy was ok, he didnt really cheeze out.' and while he didnt drop zombie nation, i thought it was pretty cheezy. i mean he dropped half of communicate, and a few songs in a row at that. come on, this is twilo. s&d played those tracks out more than 6 months ago here, keep it real. i think i could have gone in there with cd's and put a better trackselection togethere. and the mixing was obviously shitty, i think most people agreed with that. tong sucks, and i hope he's kept out of twilo from here on in.

Originally posted by biglex:

Maybe I'm not as in tune with the technical aspect of spinning as some of the rest of the people on this board portray themselves to be...but I thought Tong was FUCKING great! I did not stop dancing at all...and he had me worn out by 4:30. Maybe I'm just a rookie compared to some of the more knowledgeable people here, but if the guy is able to get the crowd jumping and screaming the way he did, that usually means he's pretty damn good. But hey, to each his own. Peace.

You couldn't have said it better!!

In my opinion he was the best there. I am just regular clubber and what I care the most is music. I don't care about which way is DJ spinning or about his technical skills. I enjoyed his show the most!

Love Amalka

------------------

I've told myself so many times before

But this time I think I mean it for sure

We have reached a full stop

Nothing's going to save us from the big drop.. "DM"

unicornx1.gif

Originally posted by amalkav:

You couldn't have said it better!!

In my opinion he was the best there. I am just regular clubber and what I care the most is music. I don't care about which way is DJ spinning or about his technical skills. I enjoyed his show the most!

Love Amalka

according to that logic, he could have put in the communicate cd and you'd have had a ball. given the tracks he played weren't bad, but you gotta come stronger than that when you're at twilo.

I thought Tongie was off the hook...remember he plays the Essential Mix, and is not like S&D--so don't compare the two (three). The 20 songs he played are his top 20 songs (which were not in the least boring!--everybody was bouncin on the floor), nothing more. The last song was a killer ending too...and for all the people dissin him, i was right in front dancin my ass off with everyone around me, when he dropped Barbarella, Musak, and Pushin too Hard. I am sure you musical geniuses were sittin back critiquing him, while we were all bouncin--shame on you!. As far as the point that these songs are 6 months old, i disagree...he played those to get the crowd up and in the mood to dance. Digweed still plays S&S, Musak, and Luzon the last two times i have seen him. Luzon dates back to beginning of year. PVD still plays Binary Finary (can't wait to hear the response to that), Sasha plays the same breakbeat stuff at the end of his sets, etc. The fact is, everybody started cheering when he went on. They play what they like, which is what is so cool about djs today--they dont' have to always play to the crowd! And Tongie toyed with us on Barbarella, etc., and was very good at speeding up, slowing down, and eq utilization to change the song as he went. I liked it.

Finally, about his mixing, while there are certainly better djs, i have heard everyone make errors,....hmmm...PVD last time blew a mix completely and no one commented on that. It was very obvious. Also, there seemed to be problems with the system Fri., so that may have contributed to it.

My favorite part of the night was when Pappa dropped ACDC...love that rolling guitar line in it!

Originally posted by ker410:

I thought Tongie was off the hook...remember he plays the Essential Mix, and is not like S&D--so don't compare the two (three). The 20 songs he played are his top 20 songs (which were not in the least boring!--everybody was bouncin on the floor), nothing more. The last song was a killer ending too...and for all the people dissin him, i was right in front dancin my ass off with everyone around me, when he dropped Barbarella, Musak, and Pushin too Hard. I am sure you musical geniuses were sittin back critiquing him, while we were all bouncin--shame on you!. As far as the point that these songs are 6 months old, i disagree...he played those to get the crowd up and in the mood to dance. Digweed still plays S&S, Musak, and Luzon the last two times i have seen him. Luzon dates back to beginning of year. PVD still plays Binary Finary (can't wait to hear the response to that), Sasha plays the same breakbeat stuff at the end of his sets, etc. The fact is, everybody started cheering when he went on. They play what they like, which is what is so cool about djs today--they dont' have to always play to the crowd! And Tongie toyed with us on Barbarella, etc., and was very good at speeding up, slowing down, and eq utilization to change the song as he went. I liked it.

Finally, about his mixing, while there are certainly better djs, i have heard everyone make errors,....hmmm...PVD last time blew a mix completely and no one commented on that. It was very obvious. Also, there seemed to be problems with the system Fri., so that may have contributed to it.

My favorite part of the night was when Pappa dropped ACDC...love that rolling guitar line in it!

Exactly my thoughts...

Originally posted by Nolimit:

Just a quick question for you Tong lovers... Shouldn't a guy like Tong, who's been dj'ing for well over 10 years, know how to MIX???? That's why I expect a bit more from him...

If Im paying $20 to go see a dj, he better know how to the basics.

He hasn't realy been DJing for 10 years though. He hardly mixes on his radio show, most of his other time is spent at ffRR. He hardly ever plays out anymore (maybe a few times a month). He basicaly gets tracks from labels sent to him, he doesn't go round his record store and pick out some track s other people may be playing. Thats why his set was always going to be predictable.

I have much respect for his musical knowlege he has made ffRR a massive label (and it was him that did most of the big signings).

But i can mix better than Pete Tong, and that's saying something. But glad people enjoyed it, thats what counts.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

Just a quick question for you Tong lovers... Shouldn't a guy like Tong, who's been dj'ing for well over 10 years, know how to MIX???? That's why I expect a bit more from him...

If Im paying $20 to go see a dj, he better know how to the basics.

Archived