Clubplanet Nightlife Community

WHAT DO THEY MEAN BY DESIGHNER DRUG?

kyours

gq2727: I actually don't think it includes coke. I think your first point is correct. All natural drugs or drugs that are derived from natural drugs are NON-designer. That's why E/K are designer but coke/opium/marijuana are not.

------------------

there is no law - except the law of the drug and the music

I read somewhere that the term originated when people would design substances around drug laws. In other words, they'd design something that would have some narcotic action, but wouldn't fall under a law that specifically bans a certain chemical.

Originally posted by Pershoot:

woops forgot:

acid = designer

mushrooms = natural

you might have taken too much acid to say that crack is a designer drug....LOL

they mean party drugs....

------------------

Howz Ya BOX?

Like a Biskit....

FROM THE HAZY MEMORY OF SIRDANTE:

"designer drug" is a term from the 80s. it was applied, then, primarily to cocaine, the drug that had become the choice for the rich or posing-as-rich crowd. it was a news buzzword like "hug drug" is today.

the origin comes from "designer jeans." this term, probably coined by some madison avenue advertising ppl, was used to originally describe jordache jeans (tho it could have been calvin klein jeans, my memory of the 80s is not that good).

"designer jeans" was the way to sell expensive jeans as an alternative to levis and other lesser priced dungarees. "designer drug" was the way to sell the idea that cocaine had infiltrated the upper classes and therefore had become an imortant news issue. (pls dont blame me for the insesnitivity of this statement, its not my fault that the news media dont consider anything a problem until it reaches elite society).

nowadays, "designer drug" has become common parlance and is used not only for cocaine, but also for ecstasy, cocaine's successor in terms of popularity. the news uses the term today for e in the same way it used it in the 80s for c.

------------------

i love music!

[This message has been edited by sirdante (edited 10-10-2000).]

Originally posted by resident:

I read somewhere that the term originated when people would design substances around drug laws. In other words, they'd design something that would have some narcotic action, but wouldn't fall under a law that specifically bans a certain chemical.

Yeh i herd this as well, i think it's right.

Things like MDA, MDEA were all made in Amsterdam as they made MDMA illegal. It would take the goverment months to ban the substance. 2CB is another example, it was legal (by the fact it wasn't illegal) for 6 months before most goverments banned it.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

Archived