Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So what's the scoop on Nocturnal?

stogiey2k2

Hey Dade.

Im not going to delude myself to think that I could do anything better than you could, which is why im so looking forward to your opening.

but I will echo the desire to have a place to sit ocasionally. A european style semi-chill out area would be wonderful, but Im sure all those decisions have been made already.

but my real question is what type of clientel are you aiming for?? are you planning a door policy or just the space cattle lines? Is the place going to be mostly music oriented or environment/total experience oriented (like Crobar NYC) ?

and of course, best of luck!! (and hurry up :) )

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by livin42nite

Not a question but a few demands :laugh:

Once in a while live pa's (hybrid, infusion, stryke, adam freeland's band)

Try out that classics thing once every quarter of the year twice with residents, twice with a special guest. I'd love to see an erick morillo or sasha play their favorites from the past.

Don't book the same big names as always, look at the nubreeds as well.

Stryke a resident in one of the rooms whether it be for afterhours or opening or main sets.

Your main night friday nights, so I can keep enjoying my luna and space saturday nights and actually have a great party when it comes to music on friday nights.

Quarterly residents cattaneo, zabiela, satoshi tomeii, erick morillo.

Dress code at door so people dress decently, re-entry at all times, no glowsticks or whistles please, and since u gonna have food up there why not add a lil sandwicherie there so i could save the trouble of goin back to the beach after being downtown for the night.

Now I ain't saleen so can't say your club will fail if u don't follow my advice but hey would be perfect for me with those things. :)

You've made some really good "demands" and many are already in the works.

I've always been into the Live PAs. In fact, I have probably done more live stuff than anyone here in Miami. The rooftop patio is being equipped with power, lights and removable staging for live acts. I think there's nothing better than seeing these guys actually perform the music.

Classics...we'll see. I'm not against it. Big names...I'm sure you'll see the occasional big name at Nocturnal but our main focus will be great music, not big names. Remember, the place next door does a lot of the biggies and we would be crazy to try to compete with them for that.

Residents...Good suggestion. We'll see. Friday/Saturday...don't count on it.

There will certainly be a dress code at the door. The place is beautiful and the people should look good. It's part of the overall experience, after all.

Originally posted by CHRles

I don't know if you guys remember this but Club Glow in DC will be starting a weekly party Miami in 2004, most likely on a Friday night. Hmmm now where do you suppose a Trance weekly like that will occur? ;)

Rumor Control: I haven't spoken to anyone at Glow in 4 years.

Originally posted by CHRles

I don't know if you guys remember this but Club Glow in DC will be starting a weekly party Miami in 2004, most likely on a Friday night. Hmmm now where do you suppose a Trance weekly like that will occur? ;)

The Nu Breeds are so far not living up to the hype of the veteran Progressive DJs. Most of the Nu Breed guys are hot for a year, and then seem to lose their popularity. Nick Warren, Dave Seaman, Sasha, and Digweed are still the biggest names on the Progressive front. Some of the Nu Breeds would be excellent though for one of the smaller rooms until they, or the club, firmly establish themselves.

As much as people in Miami were'nt that impressed with Gabriel & Dresden's set the first time around you might see a big change in the next year. And also be on the lookout for James Holden's name to get bigger.

Hernan won't be able to pack one of the big rooms in Miami until he releases tracks people will be talking about. His sets are good, but he's yet to attract a large enough following in most of the US. As much as I like his sets most people in Miami will not flock to see him without a headliner like Oakie showing up as well.

Zabiela, Satoshi, and Morillo on the other hand are all excellent choices. They know how to bang it out for a big room, or how to play smaller rooms as well.

I loved your idea of having live P.A.s, and you named great acts there. Classic nights on occassion would also be interesting.

Great suggeestions :cool:

Holden's name is already huge. For his production his dj'ing is quickly catching up as well. His Balance 005 CD is one of the finest of the year. He plays an exciting mixture of house/techno/trooper music that you are not likely to hear anywhere else :)

I'm hoping to see some different dj's in this place. I don't care if its house techno or even drum n bass. Give people out there a reason to come out to your venue. Give them choice. :)

I'm expecting alot so I'm hoping those expectations will be met or even surpased.

Best of luck to the nocturnal team.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Originally posted by junkiexl

I'm really looking forward to the live acts, something like underworld in a smaller venue like that would be :aright:, the sushi bar, re-entry, and especially the diversity of music throughout the three rooms.

One thing I'd really like to see is the return of the chillout room, a concept long lost in Miami. Ambient, downtempo, and I'll even go as far as deep house, an oasis of relaxation from the main room(s).

Regardless, I have a feeling that what's in store will be just the change of pace everyone is looking for.

This would be AWESOME whever the sushi bar is located.....that was you can relax to some great music, order a bottle of wine, and have some sashimi, handrolls, or whatever!

Originally posted by ogmiami

Rumor Control: I haven't spoken to anyone at Glow in 4 years.

My apologies Dade. I just figured with your history with Shadow, and the fact that both GA and Edgar are regulars at Glow that your club would be the most natural choice.

Did'nt mean to start any falsified rumors :)

Originally posted by shroomy

but I will echo the desire to have a place to sit ocasionally. A european style semi-chill out area would be wonderful, but Im sure all those decisions have been made already.

but my real question is what type of clientel are you aiming for?? are you planning a door policy or just the space cattle lines? Is the place going to be mostly music oriented or environment/total experience oriented (like Crobar NYC) ?

and of course, best of luck!! (and hurry up :) )

Shroom -

You're right. The decisions have been made for a very long time. The good news is that there are several seating areas on the first and third floors that you can use without buying a bottle. Also, there will be a "chill" vibe on the patio in the early part of the night.

The answer to your second questions could get long-winded but here goes...

The club will be "total experience" oriented, as you say. There will be a dress code and we will stick to it. That's not to say that we won't have serious music policies or direction...WE WILL. It's just that I am sick of the attitude that "real music" is only played in underground shitholes. I hate to hear people excuse a shitty venue by saying that it's "all about the music". The truth is that the concepts of amazing music and a beautiful venue are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to dress like a slob to dance and have fun. The best parties are a where mix of people (straight, gay, rich, poor, black, white, hispanic, dancers, loungers) come together and all feel comfortable. For this place to succeed, we have to appeal to a broader audience than just the hardcore music heads. I'm sure that there will be those who won't like it but that's the way it goes.

Guest brwneydtrouble

Shroom -

You're right. The decisions have been made for a very long time. The good news is that there are several seating areas on the first and third floors that you can use without buying a bottle. Also, there will be a "chill" vibe on the patio in the early part of the night.

The answer to your second questions could get long-winded but here goes...

The club will be "total experience" oriented, as you say. There will be a dress code and we will stick to it. That's not to say that we won't have serious music policies or direction...WE WILL. It's just that I am sick of the attitude that "real music" is only played in underground shitholes. I hate to hear people excuse a shitty venue by saying that it's "all about the music". The truth is that the concepts of amazing music and a beautiful venue are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to dress like a slob to dance and have fun. The best parties are a where mix of people (straight, gay, rich, poor, black, white, hispanic, dancers, loungers) come together and all feel comfortable. For this place to succeed, we have to appeal to a broader audience than just the hardcore music heads. I'm sure that there will be those who won't like it but that's the way it goes.

Sounds like a recipe for success to me!

It's just that I am sick of the attitude that "real music" is only played in underground shitholes. I hate to hear people excuse a shitty venue by saying that it's "all about the music". The truth is that the concepts of amazing music and a beautiful venue are not mutually exclusive.

That is the best thing to be said around here in ages. It's not stated, but a lot of the time I get that feeling from some promoters, DJs, and so forth..

Originally posted by sobeton

Dade!

presumably since there will be a dress code. then it will be clearly stated what is allowed, or will this be left up to some employee at the front door ?? just curious.

;)

Tony - we had a dress code at Shadow and it was never a problem as you know. We're not going to ask people to wear suits but we will ask them to look nice. And yes, we will clearly state the policy so you won't be at the mercy of the people at the door.

It's just that I am sick of the attitude that "real music" is only played in underground shitholes.

Slak lounge could be called an underground shithole, but sometimes these are the only places where up and coming dj's who are trying to do something different get a chance to do their thing, the thing is that if the place is nice, it costs money to make it that way, and they need to play it safe in order to make that money back, and rarely take chances on new sounds.... hopefully Nocturnal will be the exception? maybe giving chances to underground sounds to fill the opening slots, or early on the patio, or something, and anyway while I'm at I'll ask you again, where can I send a demo?! ;)

Originally posted by eKiTeL

Slak lounge could be called an underground shithole, but sometimes these are the only places where up and coming dj's who are trying to do something different get a chance to do their thing, the thing is that if the place is nice, it costs money to make it that way, and they need to play it safe in order to make that money back, and rarely take chances on new sounds.... hopefully Nocturnal will be the exception? maybe giving chances to underground sounds to fill the opening slots, or early on the patio, or something, and anyway while I'm at I'll ask you again, where can I send a demo?! ;)

Erick - Nobody loves an underground shithole more than I do. What I was saying is that there are those out there who assume that if the venue is beautiful the music must suck. I would rather hear a dj I love in a better venue if possible. Doing the lesser known DJ/producers is not as much of a risk as people think since they are willing to play for a lot less. If you know me at all, you know I'm not afraid to push the envelope and try new things.

You can drop your demo off at our office whenever you want and I'll show you the whole project. my e-mail - dade@nocturnalmiami.com

It's just that I am sick of the attitude that "real music" is only played in underground shitholes.

I don't consider Jazid a shit hole .. and we do play "real music". Hell I think that upstairs is one of the best venues on the beach. The sound fills the room nicely and you can still talk to the person next to you. Our dj's are pushing the limits and playin music that may otherwise unheard here.

I think the whole stigma with underground shitholes is they have the ability to take chances b/c they don't have as much to lose. Although I would love to see someone do even a small room dedicated to wierd fucked up music let it be downtempo/ambient/drum n bass/techno/minimal techno/whatever the choice may be. Give the dj/promoters support and you'll see what happens.

Erick - Nobody loves an underground shithole more than I do. What I was saying is that there are those out there who assume that if the venue is beautiful the music must suck. I would rather hear a dj I love in a better venue if possible. Doing the lesser known DJ/producers is not as much of a risk as people think since they are willing to play for a lot less. If you know me at all, you know I'm not afraid to push the envelope and try new things.

cool! :D

Tony - we had a dress code at Shadow and it was never a problem as you know. We're not going to ask people to wear suits but we will ask them to look nice. And yes, we will clearly state the policy so you won't be at the mercy of the people at the door.

fashion sense has changed quite a bit from the days of SL. ;) I'm happy to hear you will have a policy in place. :)

I agree with you 100%. At the same time, a good nite out with good music at a less fancy place (like Eric's example) aren't mutually exclusive either.

I will state the following in a clear and unbiassed way, as I always tend to do ...

What Nocturnal is planning on doing, based on the facts written here, hasn't been done at Shadow, Space or Opium. Perhaps the only one doing it was Crobar back in their first 18 months of operation.

I welcome this new project. And think it has great possibilities of attracting the masses without the need to give away the house with it, like it was at Maze.

It won't be 1-2-3 ... done. We all know that.

Good luck Dade. :cool:

Originally posted by rcrespo

I don't consider Jazid a shit hole .. and we do play "real music". Hell I think that upstairs is one of the best venues on the beach. The sound fills the room nicely and you can still talk to the person next to you. Our dj's are pushing the limits and playin music that may otherwise unheard here.

I think the whole stigma with underground shitholes is they have the ability to take chances b/c they don't have as much to lose. Although I would love to see someone do even a small room dedicated to wierd fucked up music let it be downtempo/ambient/drum n bass/techno/minimal techno/whatever the choice may be. Give the dj/promoters support and you'll see what happens.

Ramon - I don't think that Jazid is a shithole at all. As a matter of fact, I have done small conference pre-parties there for the last couple of years and think it's a great space for a cool party. I think what you're doing there is wonderful and much needed in the scene.

Ramon - I don't think that Jazid is a shithole at all. As a matter of fact, I have done small conference pre-parties there for the last couple of years and think it's a great space for a cool party. I think what you're doing there is wonderful and much needed in the scene.

Thanks.

I just think "real music" is played everywhere from people's bedrooms and houses to teh finest venues in the world. :)

I hope we can add another fine venue to the 'real music' category in the new year.

Note to all CP folks, don't ever miss Dade's prepartys!!! The typical attendance reads about like the ultra flyer. If you want your chance to chat with your favorite DJ over a beer, this is it.

and everyone, he isnt saying that underground places cant have great events, he is saying that nice places can. And I totally agree with the previous post. Given great music in a shitty environment or great music in a beautifull one, Ill take the beautiful one.

Originally posted by shroomy

Note to all CP folks, don't ever miss Dade's prepartys!!! The typical attendance reads about like the ultra flyer. If you want your chance to chat with your favorite DJ over a beer, this is it.

and everyone, he isnt saying that underground places cant have great events, he is saying that nice places can. And I totally agree with the previous post. Given great music in a shitty environment or great music in a beautifull one, Ill take the beautiful one.

Thanks for translating, Shroom. That's exactly what I was trying to get across.

Guest brwneydtrouble

Thanks for translating, Shroom. That's exactly what I was trying to get across.

It had to be translated into Tard for everyone to understand.