Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dave Wannstedt to stay another year as Fins head coach

digital7

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it makes you fair weather fans feel any better . . .

From ESPN.com

Monday, December 29, 2003

ESPN.com news services

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt was given a two-year contract extension Monday, but will lose control over player personnel decisions.

ESPN.com senior writer Len Pasquarelli first reported Sunday that Wannstedt would be retained by the Dolphins and receive an extension. Wannstedt's contract now runs through the 2006 season.

After missing the playoffs for the second straight year despite a 10-6 record, Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga decided to keep Wannstedt and hire a general manager to handle roster decisions.

"This reorganization will allow the new general manager to devote all of his attention to improving the talent on our roster," Huizenga said in a statement, "and at the same time it will give coach Wannstedt and his staff the ability to focus even more on preparing the team to play every week."

Wannstedt is fine with the change that allows him to focus on just coaching.

"I've never been concerned about titles," he said. "I'm the head football coach. I want to coach football."

Team president Eddie Jones said the team's current senior vice president of football operations, Rick Spielman, was a candidate for the GM's job, but declined to name others on that list.

"We have a list and I'm sure it will grow," Jones said. "We have not talked to anyone except Rick."

According to Pasquarelli, possible candidates for the GM job include current Buffalo Bills assistant general manager Tom Modrak, former New Orleans Saints general manager Randy Mueller and Tim Ruskell, who is currently the personnel director with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Wannstedt said he and Huizenga met early Monday to discuss the franchise's plan for 2004 and beyond. Huizenga was not at a news conference to announce Wannstedt's extension -- his helicopter was seen leaving the Dolphins' practice facility twice in the morning, the final time about 25 minutes before the extension was announced.

For weeks, Wannstedt, whose 10-year record as an NFL coach is 81-79, has heard questions and speculation about his future with the Dolphins, something he acknowledged wore on him. Now, at least for a short term, his footing with the franchise is solid.

"It hasn't been easy," Wannstedt said. "But it's part of the job. That's how I look at it."

The Dolphins are 41-23 in Wannstedt's four seasons, with just one playoff victory.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

where's steve mariucci now? hmm...i think i remember him having a successul season, and career in san fran.

point is, if it's the same shit over and over again and there's no progress, it's time to go in another direction.

we're spoiled with success here. get used to it. if u don't like it, hit i-95 and get the f out.

Originally posted by phrankadelic

where's steve mariucci now? hmm...i think i remember him having a successul season, and career in san fran.

point is, if it's the same shit over and over again and there's no progress, it's time to go in another direction.

we're spoiled with success here. get used to it. if u don't like it, hit i-95 and get the f out.

DAMN...frank is really into this topic...:eek:

sobe ur gonna argue urself right out of the clubplanet graces....stop arguing about it....no1 cares what u think....not that its not a valid point...but ur arguing for no reason...yeah u may be right about some fans around here...but sme of us for one dont really care who the coach is or whatever...we just want to see a quality team..which we have had here year in, and year out!!!!!!!!!!!

there is nothing to do or go to in ohio therefore people relish there sports even more!!!!!!!!!!!!

miami has such see-saw fans bcuz....remember this............ most people who live here are not from here......if it takes to long for any of that to sink in..then u dont deserve to be a sports fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alot of people from other countries could care less about football...and alot of transplant around here..just go for there home team.....which is understandable....the point im trying to get to is get over it!!!!!!!!!! the fins will have a good season like they usually do...hopefully the off season moves will get them over the hump they have been stuck at...and u know what if the finz win a super bowl in the next 2 years...u will hear how all these miami fans will say D.W is a prophet sent from football heaven...and how everything he does turns to gold!!!!!!!!!!!

until then just sit back and enjoy the boards as i do...i dont hate....i appreciate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and leave u.m. out of this...its not our failt ohio state cheats and shit!!!!!!!!!!!!11;) :tongue::D

Originally posted by sobe2003

and you fair weathered huracoon fan can kiss my 2003 NCAA THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY NATIONAL CHAMPION ASS.

Have fun playing FSU again . . . real exciting . . .

yeah and how many of those national titles have you won in the past 25 years?

You're lucky we're not playing you guys this year in the bowl game.

Average attendance for Ohio State football - 106,000

Average attendance for Tennessee football - 110,000

Average attendance for Michigan football - 112,000

Miami has the WORST fans ever - just listen to WQAM. They bitch and moan about every team.

Look at the Marlins - during the season they averages 13,000. Now every julio in Little Havana has a Marlins World Series T-shirt.

MIAMI FANS SUCK PERIOD . . . .

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You must be a loayal WQAM listener......I hear that quote all the time....."little julios" :tongue:

Average attendance for Ohio State football - 106,000

Average attendance for Tennessee football - 110,000

Thats cause theres nothing else to do there besides watching NASCAR........ :rolleyes:

I will admitt Miami fans are bitter,its the truth and theres no way around it. I remember when Miami would play on Monday night and the game wouldnt be televised cause it wasnt a sellout.Weather its football or basketball to basketball,if the team aint doing well theres a noshow.I can carless, besides being a BEAR fan I support all Miami teams either good or bad.

You compare the Universities of Ohio State and Tennessee with Miamis', what, are you crazy? Miami has to be one of the smallest schools out there. At this point its useless to continue this arguement. PEACE have a nice day..

UM kicks ass and it will be fun playing FSU even if its for the shyt bowl...

Dolphins swept the jets

The Marlins beat the "YANKEES"

Originally posted by happyface

Thats cause theres nothing else to do there besides watching NASCAR........ :rolleyes:

UM kicks ass and it will be fun playing FSU even if its for the shyt bowl...

Dolphins swept the jets

The Marlins beat the "YANKEES"

:werd:

Hey Happyface, you Chicago Bears fans want Dave Wannstedt back? He's a great coach according to Sobe2003. He can make a change over there for you guys :idea:

:rolleyes::laugh:

Originally posted by xxgrooveericxx

:werd:

Hey Happyface, you Chicago Bears fans want Dave Wannstedt back? He's a great coach according to Sobe2003. He can make a change over there for you guys :idea:

:rolleyes::laugh:

Shyt noooooooooooooo:mad: We need a new coach also:idea: even though we won 3 more games then last year:( :mad:

Dave Wannsteadt blows.. and so do you sobe2003 :)

with that said, big Dave is just not getting the job done. neither is the coaching staff. the Fins are a bunch of undiciplined, underachiving group of players. that is a direct result of the coaching staff no matter how you look at it.