Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Brazil to fingerprint US citizens

US travellers will face tough immigration checks in Brazil

A Brazilian judge has announced that US citizens will be fingerprinted and photographed on entering the country.

Judge Julier Sebastiao da Silva was reacting to US plans to do the same to Brazilians entering the United States.

He made the order after a Brazilian government office filed a complaint in a federal court over the new US immigration measures.

From 5 January, travellers from all countries which need a visa to enter the US will undergo the same checks.

"I consider the act absolutely brutal, threatening human rights, violating human dignity, xenophobic and worthy of the worst horrors committed by the Nazis," Federal Judge Julier Sebastiao da Silva said in the court order.

The new security measures will come into effect on 1 January unless Mr Da Silva's ruling is challenged by the justice system.

Anti-terrorism

Washington's new rules are part of increased anti-terrorism measures.

They aim to identify people who have violated immigration controls, have a criminal record or belong to groups that Washington has on its list of "terrorist" organisations.

An official from the US Department of Homeland Security said at least two of the 19 hijackers in the 11 September 2001 attacks could have been stopped if this security system had been in place.

It will not apply to citizens of 27 nations who do not require a visa to enter the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3358627.stm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

US travellers will face tough immigration checks in Brazil

A Brazilian judge has announced that US citizens will be fingerprinted and photographed on entering the country.

Judge Julier Sebastiao da Silva was reacting to US plans to do the same to Brazilians entering the United States.

He made the order after a Brazilian government office filed a complaint in a federal court over the new US immigration measures.

From 5 January, travellers from all countries which need a visa to enter the US will undergo the same checks.

"I consider the act absolutely brutal, threatening human rights, violating human dignity, xenophobic and worthy of the worst horrors committed by the Nazis," Federal Judge Julier Sebastiao da Silva said in the court order.

The new security measures will come into effect on 1 January unless Mr Da Silva's ruling is challenged by the justice system.

Anti-terrorism

Washington's new rules are part of increased anti-terrorism measures.

They aim to identify people who have violated immigration controls, have a criminal record or belong to groups that Washington has on its list of "terrorist" organisations.

An official from the US Department of Homeland Security said at least two of the 19 hijackers in the 11 September 2001 attacks could have been stopped if this security system had been in place.

It will not apply to citizens of 27 nations who do not require a visa to enter the US.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3358627.stm

I heard about this this morning. Brazil is flipping about the new steps were are taking to control our immigration promblem.. Someone should tell this tool about Sept 11th and the 3000 that were killed.

One last thing.. I don't care if Rio sinks to the bottom of the ocean floor... They will never get a chance to fingerprint me because you couldn't pay me to go there but I bet the tourism driven businesses in Rio are upset the american dollar will have to jump hurdles to reach their pockets....

Originally posted by mr mahs

I heard about this this morning. Brazil is flipping about the new steps were are taking to control our immigration promblem.. Someone should tell this tool about Sept 11th and the 3000 that were killed.

Is 9/11 your answer for everything?

the thing is, there are 27 countries not on the list, including most western european ones, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the terroists came through western europe on their way to america for 9/11... so if they manage to get a passport from one of these countries, which, for the UK at least isn't exactly impossible, then erm, surely that's a way around this new measure?

I have to say props to brazil, perhaps Americans getting a taste of their own medicine might think twice... or just get more pissy... who knows...

I chuckled when I heard this though...

- also in 1964 there was a military coup in brazil again orchistrated by the CIA resulting in a series of dictatorship things for, oh about 20 years iirc...

Originally posted by jamiroguy1

So the answer is yes, then? 9/11 is your excuse for everything. :rolleyes: Wake up, man.

Bro were you dropped on your head as a kid.. You talk about 911 like it was a bank robbery.. I have heard it all from you hippies now you're downplaying 911

Originally posted by marksimons

the thing is, there are 27 countries not on the list, including most western european ones, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the terroists came through western europe on their way to america for 9/11... so if they manage to get a passport from one of these countries, which, for the UK at least isn't exactly impossible, then erm, surely that's a way around this new measure?

exactly my 1st thoughts when i heard about the fingerprinting

Originally posted by breakbeatz2

oh, of course!

you're completely right. lets wait for them to blow a few thousand people up again, and THEN we can fingerprint them.

makes great sense

Why not fingerprint everyone then? Makes great sense to only fingerprint certain people? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by jamiroguy1

Why not fingerprint everyone then? Makes great sense to only fingerprint certain people? :rolleyes:

well its known that certain countries have much greater security capabilities than other countries

thats kinda why some countries require visas and some dont, and we have agreements and understandings with many countries which would prevent this sort of ifngerprinting

Originally posted by breakbeatz2

well its known that certain countries have much greater security capabilities than other countries

thats kinda why some countries require visas and some dont, and we have agreements and understandings with many countries which would prevent this sort of ifngerprinting

Sounds like common sense to me...

Originally posted by raver_mania

haha...good for Brazil. I for one hope a lot more countries start doing this!

Didn't Brazil or Argentina already default on their bonds? Like Breakbeatz said genius move....Who will have the last laugh when it's all done?? The only reason why this was done is to protect us ....

Originally posted by mr mahs

Didn't Brazil or Argentina already default on their bonds? Like Breakbeatz said genius move....Who will have the last laugh when it's all done?? The only reason why this was done is to protect us ....

Brazil's default was a few years ago. Argentina defaulted in 2003

regarding the US's plan....it is a good idea, but it doesnt go far enough. All visitors to this country should go through this procedure. No exceptions. Case closed.

I see no problems with the US fingerprinting foreign visitors especially with the climate of the world. Hey if other countries want to do it for securities reasons as well i see no problem with that either. U dont like it? Don't leave your country. It's a privilage to enter a foreign land not a right. Brazils idea of fingerprinting for spite is simply pathetic.