Clubplanet Nightlife Community

help-thinking of moving to south beach

SFsuperstar

Originally posted by pod

Best schools in the city? So by the standard yardstick of education, the kids are only somewhat retarded rather than absolutely stab-myself-with-a-fork-i-got-the-gold-star-donkey-kong fucking retarded? Present children excepted of course, board moms and dads take care of their chillins.

Shopping? Who gives a shit. I have every store in the world at my fingertips, and so do you.

I don't blame you for the kid issue though, I wouldn't raise a kid within Dade County at all. They could run into someone like me.

Yeah, Pod----considering what is offered here in Dade county as far as public education, kendall does have some of the best schools.

And not every kid comes out retarded as a result of Dade"s school system problems, a lot of that retardedness comes from slacking in parenting.

And u STILL havnt answered my question, Pod.....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by pod

If you're into driving and getting stuck in traffic, it's fantastic.

I work in SoBe and live relatively close to Sunset Place...it takes me 25 minutes to get here driving...probably less of what it takes you to get using public transportation from where you live. :idea:

Originally posted by mala

Another vote for Broward here. I'm actually moving from NYC to Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow. :) I'm really can't wait because it's 20 degrees here and I'm pasty white.

I spent a lot of time in SoBe, and it's nice, but I wouldn't want to live there. Too many tourists for me. The upside is that, unlike the rest of SoFla, you don't need a car. I guess it all depends on your lifestyle though. SoBe is great if you want to get a job as a cocktail waitress, go to after-hours every night, and stumble home. I've also spend time in Kendall because my ex lived there. Nice little community, but not the place for a young New Yorker. I'll let you know what I think of Ft. Lauderdale once I get settled.

you said it.

if you like the burbs then move to Weston, Plantation(west of University Dr.), Davie, Cooper City or the sawgrass area of Sun Rise.

Hollywood and down town Ft. Lauderdale have more action and are close to the beach.

by the way 75% of Browards new residents are from Dade.

:idea:

Originally posted by pod

If you're into driving and getting stuck in traffic, it's fantastic.

imagine all the interesting people you can meet!!! plus, you get to look at all those beutiful cars!!! listen to your favorite radio station!!! look at the girl on the car next to you and pretend she likes you just because she's reading your dirty door on wich someone wrote "wash me"

that kind of shit just makes life worth livin'

I drive only once a week :D

Originally posted by laliux

I work in SoBe and live relatively close to Sunset Place...it takes me 25 minutes to get here driving...probably less of what it takes you to get using public transportation from where you live. :idea:

Umm it took me 10 minutes on the L. :cool:

I'm a slave to convenience, so I moved accordingly...I wasn't going to live more than 10-15 minutes from my day job. It takes me about 25 minutes to get downtown, maybe a bit more.

To each his own, but I was bored out of my mind when I lived in the Kendall area. Now I live off of Collins, and there's no lack of entertainment close by.

And I can guarantee at some point in your commute, you do get stuck in traffic...I'm very impatient, to a fault, so traffic and I do not get along. Look up road rage in the dictionary, and you'll see my photo.

If your moving to SoBe to be a cocktail waitress living anywhere BUT sobe would be a complete waste of time.

there are plenty of south beach haters around, and most if not all don't live there. Just drive around south beach during the DAY and get a feel for it. It is very tranquil, green, full of unique buildings and people.

south beach is greenwich village, middle beach (north of 5000 block on collins) is upper east side, west ave is tribeca. Ft Lauderdale is Connecticut basically. There you have it.

Guest brwneydtrouble

Boy am I lucky i dont have to deal with any of this shit anymore......

I live on almost an acre and a half, have my 4 horses in my back yard, yet I am 10 miles away from the ocean via one main road. The Turnpike and I-95 are side by side up here (If you've gone to Disney, you knew that ;)) and its only 7 minutes away from my driveway. There are 7 major malls within a max 30 min drive, NOT including Worth Ave on Palm Beach. Saks, Bloomies, Nordstrom, Macys, Bergdorf, you name it. Palm Beach International is just 20 min away, and MUCH cheaper than MIA, another 20 min and you have Lauderdale Airport for even less.

As far as nightlife, there is just as much to do here if not more, except maybe something of the same caliber of the big clubs on the beach and downtown. But I have a feeling that will change soon.... As far as other past times, there are more than in miami - although they attract BIG bucks, polo and other equestrian sports, golf, boating, diving, fishing, hunting, surfing, the list goes on and on. Restaurants here are some of the best I have ever been to. WAY too many to mention. Think Morton's, Houstons, PF Chang, Emerils, whatever you want.....times 10. Fine dining is commonplace up here.

Not to mention the school system puts miami to shame, private schools are incredible, housing is not as expensive, and the job market is out of this world. Traffic up here is a joke. It means you are forced to drive the speed limit. For a whole 20 min, then rush hour is over.

Now you see why I live up here??:D

Originally posted by brwneydtrouble

Boy am I lucky i dont have to deal with any of this shit anymore......

I live on almost an acre and a half, have my 4 horses in my back yard, yet I am 10 miles away from the ocean via one main road. The Turnpike and I-95 are side by side up here (If you've gone to Disney, you knew that ;)) and its only 7 minutes away from my driveway. There are 7 major malls within a max 30 min drive, NOT including Worth Ave on Palm Beach. Saks, Bloomies, Nordstrom, Macys, Bergdorf, you name it. Palm Beach International is just 20 min away, and MUCH cheaper than MIA, another 20 min and you have Lauderdale Airport for even less.

As far as nightlife, there is just as much to do here if not more, except maybe something of the same caliber of the big clubs on the beach and downtown. But I have a feeling that will change soon.... As far as other past times, there are more than in miami - although they attract BIG bucks, polo and other equestrian sports, golf, boating, diving, fishing, hunting, surfing, the list goes on and on. Restaurants here are some of the best I have ever been to. WAY too many to mention. Think Morton's, Houstons, PF Chang, Emerils, whatever you want.....times 10. Fine dining is commonplace up here.

Not to mention the school system puts miami to shame, private schools are incredible, housing is not as expensive, and the job market is out of this world. Traffic up here is a joke. It means you are forced to drive the speed limit. For a whole 20 min, then rush hour is over.

Now you see why I live up here??:D

sounds nice, maybe i should have moved there!

Originally posted by southof5th

If your moving to SoBe to be a cocktail waitress living anywhere BUT sobe would be a complete waste of time.

there are plenty of south beach haters around, and most if not all don't live there. Just drive around south beach during the DAY and get a feel for it. It is very tranquil, green, full of unique buildings and people.

south beach is greenwich village, middle beach (north of 5000 block on collins) is upper east side, west ave is tribeca. Ft Lauderdale is Connecticut basically. There you have it.

z043.gifwerd!

South of Fifth is right. The Beach during the day is exactly as he described it.

Again, shopping doesn't interest me, as long as the basics are near, I'm happy. I could care less about Saks, Bloomingdales, and so forth. I'm sure saks.com and bloomingdales.com will suffice.

Middle Beach is definitely great for living though. You get to tell people you live on the beach, without the higher cost of South Beach...plus it's always quiet, day or night, and you're not stuck in suburban hell.

Plus, does your neighborhood have the Katana? :cool:

Originally posted by lilliz77

thats where I live and POD is right, its like suburbia hell. But I am enjoying it while I can. I remember applying for Emeril's on Miami Beach and getting the job, but regrettably declined. See if they are still hiring.

where in Kendall? u prob. live near me:idea:

Originally posted by lolahotass

:laugh: :laugh:

Hey I'm heading to downtown Boston next week.. I'm going out on Wed/Thurs/Sunday nights.... any good lounges/irish pubs you suggest for me? thanks (didn't mean to thread jack either!)

well i work at a very nice lounge called whiskey park. there is another nice one called saint. hmm irish pubs i dont really do those but i know what they are. there is the harp, mccarthys, coogans. actually if you just go to "fanuiel hall" area you'll find many of them.