Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bush Booed at Martin Luther King Gravesite

mr mahs

Originally posted by raver_mania

However, what percent of low income families are african american (or minority)?

I kinda agree with what you're saying. This way at least you won't be compensating minorities who're already well-off.

That's the point I'm trying to make, the majority of the beneficiaries would be african american anyway, but it's not singling out by race.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by g420

NAACP is a joke & Affirmative Action is not only a form of racism towards non-minorities, it is a form of racism towards minorities too it lowers people's self-esteem & motivations && has negatively impacted the "minority" community. Studies has shown that since AA has been removed from certain educational institutions, minority enrollment has in fact increased.

the NAACP is Not for uplifting Opressed black people I can tell you that right now they are only for gainng power for the so called "Talented tenth" belive me. Afirmative actions also helps white women 3 times more than black men and women so if you took affirmative action away it would hurt white people more. I wish people would actually look at the things that actually work instead of the things that makes themselves feel good

Honoring the Wisdom of the Opposition

By William Raspberry

Monday, January 19, 2004; Page A21

I28292-2004Jan18L

"Every man knows enough Bible to fit his own pistol," my late father used to say. Or, I might amend, enough King.

Dad's observation dates to the time when debaters would turn to the scriptures for support of their point of view -- whatever it happened to be -- on the issues of the day. My amendment acknowledges that I may be doing something similar when I use the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous "Declaration of Independence From the War in Vietnam" as a commentary on America's presence in Iraq.

King, remember, was known until that 1967 sermon at New York's Riverside Church primarily as a civil rights leader. His Nobel Peace Prize, awarded three years earlier, was largely in recognition of his nonviolent advocacy on behalf of black and poor Americans.

And he was roundly criticized by those -- black and white, conservative and liberal -- who thought he was overstepping his boundaries and jeopardizing the cause of civil rights.

King himself thought, as many of us do now, that it was the war that put the interests of the poor in jeopardy. Listen:

A few years ago there was a shining moment. . . . It seemed as if there was a real promise of hope for the poor -- both black and white -- through the Poverty Program. Then came the buildup in Vietnam, and I watched the program broken and eviscerated as if it were some idle political plaything of a society gone mad on war, and I knew that America would never invest the necessary funds or energies in rehabilitation of its poor so long as Vietnam continued to draw men and skills and money like some demonic, destructive suction tube.

Even the harshest critics of the war in Iraq acknowledge that Saddam Hussein was a tyrant and a brute. But they also believe that our government made military action against him seem unavoidable when it might have been avoided. King saw the same thing -- can it really be? -- 37 years ago when, as he put it, "America has spoken of peace and built up its forces . . . speaking of aggression as it drops thousands of bombs on a poor, weak nation more than 8,000 miles from its shores."

Full Editorial

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28302-2004Jan18.html