dgmodel

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by xlr8ted

No idea.. i'm from boston.

Renni, i'm a busy man after work, i'll have time this weekend to fill your box... :tongue:

no prob but if there isnt anything in my box im going to come to boston kick your ass:mad:

:heart:

Originally posted by captainpec

x was right for the current day use of the salute... guess you want to origin...

The origin of the salute was to show that you were unarmed - using your right hand (aka gun hand) to salute, showing that it was empty. Finger tips should be to the temple area...

The salute has its origin in another time, when kings ruled, knights wore armor, and courtly manners flourished. It was the Age of Chivalry. The etiquette of the day dictated that, should two friendly knights meet, each would raise the visor of his helmet, show his face, and pay proper respect to the other. Since both knights were completely clad in steel, they could recognize each other as friend or foe by the distinctive emblems and devices on their armor - another custom that still lives. Etiquette also decreed that the knights salute with their right hands. The right hand was the sword hand; raising it was a sign of trust. Even after modern firearms had made steel armor a thing of the past, the knightly gesture of raising the right hand continued to be recognized as the proper greeting between soldiers.

http://www.oregonarmyguard.com/salute.htm

Originally posted by Reeni

Originally posted by dgmodel

well I like that so .....im not posting a question:tongue:

:laugh:

Originally posted by captainpec

Close enough - no weapons! :tongue:

Anyone care to answer the reason behind the "person ordering the bottle of wine"... why does the waitor allow them to take a quick swig first?

im going to take a wild guess, either to taste it or going back to the days of beefeaters testing it for poison??? just a wild guess...

Originally posted by dgmodel

im going to take a wild guess, either to taste it or going back to the days of beefeaters testing it for poison??? just a wild guess...

We've got a winner...

Originally (way back in the days), if you invited someone for dinner, you tasted the wine first as proof that the wine was not laced with poison... more specifically cyonide (don't know how to spell that one :( )

Medieval times that is...