Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Iraqi govt. papers: Saddam bribed Chirac

igloo

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Jan. 28 (UPI) -- Documents from Saddam Hussein's oil ministry reveal he used oil to bribe top French officials into opposing the imminent U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The oil ministry papers, described by the independent Baghdad newspaper al-Mada, are apparently authentic and will become the basis of an official investigation by the new Iraqi Governing Council, the Independent reported Wednesday.

"I think the list is true," Naseer Chaderji, a governing council member, said. "I will demand an investigation. These people must be prosecuted."

Such evidence would undermine the French position before the war when President Jacques Chirac sought to couch his opposition to the invasion on a moral high ground.

A senior Bush administration official said Washington was aware of the reports but refused further comment.

French diplomats have dismissed any suggestion their foreign policy was influenced by payments from Saddam, but some European diplomats have long suspected France's steadfast opposition to the war was less moral than monetary.

"Oil runs thicker than blood," is how one former ambassador put his suspicions about the French motives for opposing action against Saddam.

Al-Mada's list cites a total of 46 individuals, companies and organizations inside and outside Iraq as receiving Saddam's oil bribes, including officials in Egypt, Jordan, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, Turkey, Sudan, China, Austria and France, as well as the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian Communist Party, India's Congress Party and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

Originally posted by igloo

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Jan. 28 (UPI) -- Documents from Saddam Hussein's oil ministry reveal he used oil to bribe top French officials into opposing the imminent U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The oil ministry papers, described by the independent Baghdad newspaper al-Mada, are apparently authentic and will become the basis of an official investigation by the new Iraqi Governing Council, the Independent reported Wednesday.

"I think the list is true," Naseer Chaderji, a governing council member, said. "I will demand an investigation. These people must be prosecuted."

Such evidence would undermine the French position before the war when President Jacques Chirac sought to couch his opposition to the invasion on a moral high ground.

A senior Bush administration official said Washington was aware of the reports but refused further comment.

French diplomats have dismissed any suggestion their foreign policy was influenced by payments from Saddam, but some European diplomats have long suspected France's steadfast opposition to the war was less moral than monetary.

"Oil runs thicker than blood," is how one former ambassador put his suspicions about the French motives for opposing action against Saddam.

Al-Mada's list cites a total of 46 individuals, companies and organizations inside and outside Iraq as receiving Saddam's oil bribes, including officials in Egypt, Jordan, Syria, the United Arab Emirates, Turkey, Sudan, China, Austria and France, as well as the Russian Orthodox Church, the Russian Communist Party, India's Congress Party and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

Wher did you get this bro?

Originally posted by igloo

Not surprising. If this is true, I think it's dagger to those who say this war was 'illegal'. The US would never have been able to get Security Council approval if Iraq bribed France into opposing the war, and France in turn persuaded other Security Council members to side with it. The process was fixed from the outset.

Originally posted by mr mahs

Wher did you get this bro?

Washington Times.....

I wonder what the antiwar schmucks think about this......

Especially when they accuse Bush of being "unilateral" , when it really came down to France and Germany...

I wonder too if they realize it is an insult to the troops from Poland, Australia, Britain, Italy, Japan, etc.....when they say the U.S. went at it alone....

Originally posted by dkny8

Not surprising. If this is true, I think it's dagger to those who say this war was 'illegal'. The US would never have been able to get Security Council approval if Iraq bribed France into opposing the war, and France in turn persuaded other Security Council members to side with it. The process was fixed from the outset.

It disgusts me when people say the war was "illegal" and the Bush Administration went at it alone....

First off, the U.S. and 1991 coalition was still in a state of war with Iraq since Iraq never adhered to the orginal ceasfire agreement and subsequent resolutions...

Not to mention Iraqi firing on U.S. warplanes in the no-fly zone for a decade and the attempted assassination of President Bush...

The anti-war jerkoffs like to forget about these little facts..

And the hypocritical anti-Bush jerkoffs sure didn't mind when Clinton went around the U.N. in the Balkans because he knew he could not get a security council resolution....

ANd as i mentioned above, it is an insult to the troops supplied by multiple nations to say the U.S. went at it alone....

The U.N. is an antiquated body of paralysis that was rendered useless by their hypocrisy and inaction......