Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What Do You Think?

sotuchick

Hello Everybody:

I am taking a music class at school and I have this :lame: professor who keeps on saying that Electronic Music music is not "music".

According to her she says that this is music solely created by computer and she does not consider it an artistic creation of the mind.

Any of you guys agree or disagree with her?

PEACE,

me...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

She might be right about Trance. Trance sucks.

But - if she is talking about electronic music in general - I think she is just fucking with you guys and does not actually believe that. Shit - back in time when two people banged sticks together it was considered music. Computers are just the newest instruments. I think she is looking for you to explain the feeling and talent that is behind making electronic music. Would she consider NIN music?

oh no, remember when I said to wear a hard hat, I would go put it on now!

but I have to disagree. I mean danm, I've never heard a trance song with a piano in it, or violin......get my point. Even if you did make it on the computer, it's still a creation of the mind. :confused:

I was joking when I said " I never heard a trance song with a piano or violin'

music is a creation of the mind, no matter what you use to make it!

i totally disagree...thats just like saying songs made by synths isnt music...u still need to have a concept of music...the bars, counts, etc...u have to have in mind a build up, break down, etc...a tempo...u get my drift...does computers make it easier? hell yes...but u still have the vision and then apply it to what u want it to sound like...i think she is just a bitter artist that never made it anywhere...

I totally disagree with her.

It definately is music. It takes a lot of thinking and artistic talent to put together tracks as well as mixes. She just happens to be extremely closed minded. My mother and father love the music I play for them. They do like a lot of the house music I play for them as well as some of the progressive stuff as well. I even caught my mother one time dancing to it in my living room. That was truly awesome.

Originally posted by mrmiami

I've never heard a trance song with a piano in it, or violin......

Sorry to disagree with you but I remember hearing quite a few remix songs from PVD with piano melodies as breakdowns - specifically Quattara's "Come with Me".

NO, i'm not a trance head....ooops I mean crackhead :laugh: I just appreciate good music.

As far as your teacher...she may have her point (in her head, those voices just wont stop!) but she should be more open minded about the methods to create music.

:getdown: :getdown: :getdown:

I think your teacher is ignorant...

saying its not music is like saying art created on a computer is not art, who is she to judge..

1. Does she consider the synths and drum machines used to create dance music since the 70's not instruments?

2. Whats the difference if the 808 kick drum noise came from a box or a computer=same sound manipulated by the "artist" to create. Computers emulate the sound, its up the artist to make it sound good.

Teachers are supposed to open minds and expand your thinking...she is way too narrowminded

Originally posted by digitalphoenix

Sorry to disagree with you but I remember hearing quite a few remix songs from PVD with piano melodies as breakdowns - specifically Quattara's "Come with Me".

NO, i'm not a trance head....ooops I mean crackhead :laugh: I just appreciate good music.

As far as your teacher...she may have her point (in her head, those voices just wont stop!) but she should be more open minded about the methods to create music.

:getdown: :getdown: :getdown:

hello, people. I was being sarcastic:tongue:

Originally posted by guyman1966

She might be right about Trance. Trance sucks.

But - if she is talking about electronic music in general -

Yes, she was talking about ELECTRONIC Music in general (that's why I changed my original message) it was my bad to refer to nly TRANCE. I liked your point...;)

oh no, remember when I said to wear a hard hat, I would go put it on now!

I've never heard a trance song with a piano in it, or violin......get my point.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you...

I've heard trance songs with different instrumets of classical music as part of its composition. I respect your point; but I recommend you to listen to a track that is actually posted on Obby's website called "Against The Grain - Futher

This track has a lot of guitar in it check it out,

I'll find one with piano for you...

MUA>>>>>

http://www.soturecords.com/Against_The_Grain.mp3

Originally posted by sotuchick

Yes, she was talking about ELECTRONIC Music in general (that's why I changed my original message) it was my bad to refer to nly TRANCE. I liked your point...;)

I had a few professors that loved to mess with us. I really think she is just trying to get you guys to think deeper about your music. She might be the Saleen of the academic world. Challenge her and build your case. Make it logical and bring examples. You'll get an "A" when you convince her.

The main stream has poorly received innovation throughout musical history when it was first introduced. Read some main stream (of their day) critical reviews of Beethoven or The Beatles. Electronic music is still relatively new (compare it to a Violin or a Piano).

I mean danm, I've never heard a trance song with a piano in it, or violin......get my point. Even if you did make it on the computer, it's still a creation of the mind. :confused:

Your lost then.

Even if it was created with a real piano. That itself is still considered a creation of the mind.

Just because the tools to create the sounds are more advanced does not mean that it is not a creating of the mind.

Give me a little time and I will post a song that both samples pianos and violins.

A perfect axample that I wish i had in mp3 format to share with you is:

Union Jack - Two Full Moons and A Trout

Argue that!!!!!

Originally posted by obby

Your lost then.

Even if it was created with a real piano. That itself is still considered a creation of the mind.

Just because the tools to create the sounds are more advanced does not mean that it is not a creating of the mind.

Give me a little time and I will post a song that both samples pianos and violins.

it was a fucking joke