Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Techno Is Taking Over Nyc??

Well judging by the crowd in Limelight on Saturday on Christian Smith and Picotto's night, as well as Liebing's nights in Arc now I feel obligated to ask that question

IS TECHNO TAKING OVER NYC?

Yes we had Tronic Treatment since the days of Twilo, and original Sound Factory. But it seems that this style now thanks to these people is taking the town by storm. AND LET IT. GOD there is sooo much house in NYC you can build another city. This is the energy, pure uncontrollable, blinding, and just all-encompassing ENERGY. It is right in your face, grabs you by your crutch and has its way with you and people love every single second of it!! I dont think I've seen that many people actually dancing in a club in a LONG time as I did this Saturday. So do we need more techno? And specifically THAT kind of techno (which can be summarized into German-style techno). When are we be able to see names such as Tom Wax, Tomcraft, Thomas Schumacher, Sven Vath, Adam Beyer and Chris Liebing and countless countless stars of this genre? Or how about new rising stars such as Valentino Kanzyani, Oliver Ho, Billy Nasty and all others? Techno needs to establish itself on the main stage in NYC. This will trully be an extacy in the making.

Thoughts comments names?

Originally posted by Ronin

I want to see a Liebing/Varela tag team set. Just like the one from 11-30-03.

Yeah. About two weeks back Liebing was dooking it out with Beyer in Germany in a 4 hour battle. You see thats what I call party. Also forgot to mention in the other post another prominent DJ (and a very attractive at that)

Marusha!!

I t will be about time. For along time Techno has been out of the clubs. The rave parties in the mid 90's were all Techno a second room would be house. Now at parties (raves) today, we are lucky if we hear any Techno. Back in the mid 90's Adam Beyer, Cari Lekebusch, The Liberators, Jeff Mills, Dave the Drummer, Electric Indigo, Dave Clarke, Monika Kruse, DJ Rush, Oliver Ho, Bill Nasty, Mistress Barabra, Claude Young, Prototype 909 they all were here, and many more. They all played at raves. Look back at the early Park Rave parties and Uptown Underground. They had mainly techno,

I hope it comes back, takes over the clubs and parties again. The promoters have to take a chance, Techno will bring a crowd.

Originally posted by tranceou

IS TECHNO TAKING OVER NYC?

Yes we had Tronic Treatment since the days of Twilo, and original Sound Factory. But it seems that this style now thanks to these people is taking the town by storm. AND LET IT. GOD there is sooo much house in NYC you can build another city. This is the energy, pure uncontrollable, blinding, and just all-encompassing ENERGY. It is right in your face, grabs you by your crutch and has its way with you and people love every single second of it!! I dont think I've seen that many people actually dancing in a club in a LONG time as I did this Saturday. So do we need more techno? And specifically THAT kind of techno (which can be summarized into German-style techno). When are we be able to see names such as Tom Wax, Tomcraft, Thomas Schumacher, Sven Vath, Adam Beyer and Chris Liebing and countless countless stars of this genre? Or how about new rising stars such as Valentino Kanzyani, Oliver Ho, Billy Nasty and all others? Techno needs to establish itself on the main stage in NYC. This will trully be an extacy in the making.

Thoughts comments names?

I don't think it being crowded for MP is a big signal that techno is back. He's only just a techno dj - as lasix said the other day he spins like a trance dj interms of how he uses the decks, and he's spins some vocal spots and stuff that appeal to trance / tech trance folks.

i remember seeing hawtin before packed houses at places like limelight and stuff too, and the Sven / Hawtin nights at Arc. But i'm not sure how packed those would be these days if they happened every month (which would be GREAT). Not holding my breath on it....

Ok. I love pvd, ferry, tiesto, S&D, armin, they are mostly trance and hard house, so ive been told over the years. Ok, labels, can someone explain to me the difference between, trance, techno, house, im a little confused. Maybe one song as an example of each and what makes each different. Thanks:)

Picotto was amazing on saturday! Goin to see Barbara on the 14th. Nothing can rival the energy that is produced through nights like this. I love it. First i might have to hit up some Bad Boy Bill this friday for some good ol hard house.

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

hawtin/vath nights @ vinyl were the best..the last one i went to ..vath blewwwwww away hawtin..and was dancing around the club with a toilet bowl cover around his neck by the end of the night...

yeah that was a PHENOMENAL night :D

As for definitions..well...people argue a lot about them. Here's one set: http://www.eurodancehits.com/dict.html#THS

for me a typical techno set (not tech-trance) is harder, doesn't have the "uplifting" quality of trance, is very energetic, is more "relentless" (whatever that means), and the DJ's tend to work alot quicker - that is playing shorter tracks (or just pieces of them) and typically less vocals as well. Also, IMO folks like Hawtin, Mills, etc. are more experimental in that they'll mix on the fly two / three tracks back and forth while never playing all of anyone of them. Last time Mills was here he must have switched records at nearly once a minute or two rate...

but i'm a novice too so others will have other opinions.

Originally posted by bugler73

Ok. I love pvd, ferry, tiesto, S&D, armin, they are mostly trance and hard house, so ive been told over the years. Ok, labels, can someone explain to me the difference between, trance, techno, house, im a little confused. Maybe one song as an example of each and what makes each different. Thanks:)

http://www.ishkur.com/features/music/index.htm

he explains it all here ;)

Thanks to all responding. I thought that Ronin was the only one. I have to disagree thouhg just because it was MP it was packed. Hawtin night with Josh Wink was packed as well. Is he spinning using decks as a trance dj? Thas not my call. I didnt see it or hear it. I am not that professional of a dj. All I know the set was good. And although I would prefer a night of Schranz well we would have to settle for that for now. NYC always has been dominated by house. Techno was and still is underground. I wasnt here for the rave scene rise. I caught the end of it but still manage to catch something beautiful. But I really enjoy techno in a club. There is something about it. You know Ibiza's Cocoon parties are already legendary and let me tell you something, it is something out of a freaky yet beautiful atmosphere. WE NEED MORE ENERGY. And I am sorry but I do not think house will cut it. The new generation is harder and faster.

As for "girly techno" Hmm I do not beleive that 30K+ germans would be getting their freak on to girly techno. Because techno interpreted by Marusha...Well if you get a chance to listen to her sets/albums I highly recommend it. She is sooo twisted its beoynd me.

Originally posted by tranceou

Thanks to all responding. I thought that Ronin was the only one. I have to disagree thouhg just because it was MP it was packed. Hawtin night with Josh Wink was packed as well. Is he spinning using decks as a trance dj? Thas not my call. I didnt see it or hear it. I am not that professional of a dj. All I know the set was good. And although I would prefer a night of Schranz well we would have to settle for that for now. NYC always has been dominated by house. Techno was and still is underground. I wasnt here for the rave scene rise. I caught the end of it but still manage to catch something beautiful. But I really enjoy techno in a club. There is something about it. You know Ibiza's Cocoon parties are already legendary and let me tell you something, it is something out of a freaky yet beautiful atmosphere. WE NEED MORE ENERGY. And I am sorry but I do not think house will cut it. The new generation is harder and faster.

As for "girly techno" Hmm I do not beleive that 30K+ germans would be getting their freak on to girly techno. Because techno interpreted by Marusha...Well if you get a chance to listen to her sets/albums I highly recommend it. She is sooo twisted its beoynd me.

my girlie techno comment was not directed at the dj...barbera can play as hard as anyone. Marusha...well....she plays girlie ravey techno. :) .

Techno and Acid house is what made NYC what it was in the second generation of clubbing...which is what most of us rememeber. the early house scene (i consider the first generation) is what made NYC legendary.

Unfortunately we don't have either any more. There's a fine line between intelligent electronic music and mindless drug music. The fact that there is no ego that can define or accept this task creates a huge divide in answering "what is techno".

Bottom line...listen to what you like and enjoy it.

-z

hey tranceou,

you seem like a person that can help me! i am from the hard trance and hardcore birthcity hamburg. i am working for six month in manhattan and need somebody who is giving me the best party tips in nyc. please let me know where the hardest hard trance, gabba or acid parties are. i really appreciate it. i cant live without having my parties !!!!!!:cool:

Originally posted by alex290178

hey tranceou,

you seem like a person that can help me! i am from the hard trance and hardcore birthcity hamburg. i am working for six month in manhattan and need somebody who is giving me the best party tips in nyc. please let me know where the hardest hard trance, gabba or acid parties are. i really appreciate it. i cant live without having my parties !!!!!!:cool:

you will find the best NYC events on www.raveclick.com

:D :D :D