Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami Clubbing for Dummies (Volume I)

funketeer

Word! :idea:

It all began here, yeah...I know it's hard to believe but the venue that today holds Lost Weekend was probably one of the first clubs in Miami to showcase what was known back then as electronica or indutrial; the other only two being Club Mars in Kendall Drive and the Turnpike and The Kitchen Club at an abandoned hotel's lobby on 21st street and Collins Ave, Old South Beach (where the full-moon drumming celebrations are hold).

Lost Weekend was called "The Spot" back in 1992, George Acosta was the resident DJ and david Padilla would play a street down Washington at warsaw, the most mixed crowd Miami had ever experienced before...that was the place to listen to the most recent re-mixes and 12" records...Europe in South Beach, basicly.

lostweekend_148x148.jpg

The year was probably 1992, I was friends with and would split costs on records with George Acosta and we would share the crate...a full set at one club for $250 and an afterhours set for the other one with its respective $250...that's $500 produced by a single crate of vinyls in a single night...you do the math, whatever the results are, that's whast we were making when we were 22 years old...and it was never about the money, money was no roblem.

:cool:

True or false, you decide....;)

Originally posted by funketeer

I know, guess what happened to me while I was writing it...oh my God, I fucking died!

:D

Question Funk "Club Mars"? or did you mean Mars Bar?

Because Mars Bar back then played Retro and Industrial....

:rolleyes: Now go fix your story telling and write it again...

Edit Please :tongue::D

It was my first WMC, before it became the trendy thing for people to do. I remember all the great old clubs, Liquid, Shadow, Bash, you used to go after hours on the beach,and come out of the club at 8am and just hit the beach. Paradox, Cameo, Amnesia, Glam Slam(that might have came later like 1994). Those were the hey days of Miami Beach- And we can't forget to mention Liquid.

Originally posted by stogiey2k2

Question Funk "Club Mars"? or did you mean Mars Bar?

Because Mars Bar back then played Retro and Industrial....

:rolleyes: Now go fix your story telling and write it again...

Edit Please :tongue::D

That's right, I meant Mars Bar...:D

Some of the names have been changed to protect my credibility...:tongue:

Originally posted by funketeer

Word! :idea:

It all began here, yeah...I know it's hard to believe but the venue that today holds Lost Weekend was probably one of the first clubs in Miami to showcase what was known back then as electronica or indutrial; the other only two being Club Mars in Kendall Drive and the Turnpike and The Kitchen Club at an abandoned hotel's lobby on 21st street and Collins Ave, Old South Beach (where the full-moon drumming celebrations are hold).

Lost Weekend was called "The Spot" back in 1992, George Acosta was the resident DJ and david Padilla would play a street down Washington at warsaw, the most mixed crowd Miami had ever experienced before...that was the place to listen to the most recent re-mixes and 12" records...Europe in South Beach, basicly.

lostweekend_148x148.jpg

The year was probably 1992, I was friends with and would split costs on records with George Acosta and we would share the crate...a full set at one club for $250 and an afterhours set for the other one with its respective $250...that's $500 produced by a single crate of vinyls in a single night...you do the math, whatever the results are, that's whast we were making when we were 22 years old...and it was never about the money, money was no roblem.

:cool:

True or false, you decide....;)

another post by the hardworking funk! watch his post count soar!:eek:

I have soo many memories of Mars Bar. Back when I was about 18+ I probably had the best times there & the Edge as well. Every saturday night me & my 4 high school pals would pack into my buddy's Nissan & head over to the place. We'd also occasionally go on thursday nites when it was 21 for guys, but only when our buddy security guard worked the front door to hook us up.

There's a quick stop across from Town & Country Mall that we'd make a pit stop b4 hand & have the oldest one of us buy a few six packs of beer & a pack of cloves & or swisher sweets (We swore those things gave us a high & till this day they probably still do). The beer of choice for our crew then was Bud Ice. If we were runnin' low on $$ we'd pick up a 32 ounce of Miller High Life or St. Ides malted brew :laugh:.

Before we discovered Mars Bar, we remained loyal to the edge. Although none of us were from lauderdale, we made the trip up there every saturday & practiced the same routine at the local gas station/7eleven just b4 the railroad & Edge parking lot. Just the other week, when Oscar played @ Voodoo, I made a pit stop there b4 hand & it brought back memories of back in the day.

Since most of us weren't old enuff to drink yet, we'd buy beer @ the local gas station near a club & chug it down b4 making our way in. Throughout the nite we'd make our way back to the car for reserves of warm beer to keep us "buzzzin", the occasional piss in the bush & a possible "scam" in the car. God those were the days! :)

The music: Alternative, electronic, industrial & what some of us refer to as Retro now. Stuff like "Love & Rockets", "The Smiths", "The Cure", "Depheche mode", "New Order", "Duran Duran", & tons of other stuff like "Josh Wink", "Chemical Bros", NIN, Rage, Nirvana, etc. etc...

The Edge was gritty, big, but yet still coozy & full of people with two things in mind... Music & Fun! On a good nite, I'd loose myself in the pit-type dancefloor (kinda like the old space terrace dance floor, only a bit deeper) & forget about everyone else around me. It felt like I was in my own lil' world at times. The vibe was sick! :eek: Think of the old space times 5. Bruce wilcox & Stryke were 2 of the djs responsible for makin' magic in that place...

Mars Bar was similar but all different at the same time. More on the alternative, industrial tip & much much smaller though. It had that dark S&M feel & the chicks were outragous while at the same time funlovin', approachable & Wild, just the way I like them ;) . Mars Bar had these cages where chicks would climb into & go at it with each other. Most of the time it was the club dancers & other times it was clubbers. I remember the outter-space lookin' bugs that hung from the roof & the surf board you test your balance thing they had for sometime, but the thing broke & they eventually took it out. Damn thing only lasted for about 2 months. I remember that place like it was yesterday!

Good times... Thanks for givin' me a flashback Funk! :aright: