Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Career Choice

playa123

Well here i am. a high school senior who was recently told psychologists dont make particularly good money, so i guess tats outta the question for me now. What i wanted to know is what are you guys doin with your lives? Whos the corporate exec or whatever n how did you get there?

The reason i asked in this forum is i figured the guys bumpin coke were prolly the richer ones then the ones promotin a club event for some food money.. thanks for the advice :D

Go for what you like...

I was also told that Landscaping isnt a good business meanwhile my father makes over 300k a year from it. Its basically how far your willing to go sometimes.

Im going for engineering now. Its rough, takes a while to get good money, but in the long run its what I like.

Im 22 and just getting outta school. Enjoy your life but def. concentrate yourself. I wish I woulda listenend to my parents when I was 18. I would be outta school at a job making $24/hr with full benefits...actually prob more than that now.

Tek

Originally posted by playa123

The reason i asked in this forum is i figured the guys bumpin coke were prolly the richer ones then the ones promotin a club event for some food money.. thanks for the advice :D

fuck .. never really thought about it that way. Too funy.

and I don't do coke, but am somewhat successfull, so Ill give you my 2 cents.

Get at least a minor in business, then get your major in whatever you like. Why?? because if you are able to start a company, you can make a good living in almost any field.

Also working for someone else, sucks, no matter how much you make. (but the more you make, the less it sucks)

and last, take the jobs that pay the best! Why? because they also tend to be the companies that take the best care of their employees. Im sure there are exceptions, but its a good rule. Besides, you work for money, if you get enough of it, you can have a hell of a lot of fun when your not working.

btw, I enjoy my job more than most people I know, but if they stopped paying me, I wouldnt keep doing it.

Originally posted by podes881

im a strategy consultant.....

its about who u know, how well u do in college, what college u go to......

but in the end, $$$$$$$$$$$ and lines of coke

lol... good advice for that first position out of college, but that is just due to the present economy. Hopefully things will be different when you graduate.

BTW the college you went to on matters for your first job, after that, no one gives a shit.

fuck, Ive never even been asked for my diploma!

I disagree with the fact that money = success. I work for the United Nations High Comissioner with a NGO, travel the world, and help refugees every single day. While I could be down on wall street making twice what i make, I feel 100 times better and happier going into work everyday.

The nonprofit world is tough, but you get so much satisfaction from your job. I have been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, and I have seen kids faces that we have helped, blah, blah, blah.

The MAIN point is that if psych makes you happy, do it.

People who stress about their bank accounts die young, just be happy with what you do. Money is just a distraction in life.

i agree with 411.

don't chase the $$$ first.

do something you are passionate about - that passion will lead to success and $$$.

i say this b/c i did everything in the name of $$$ - my college choice, my major choice, my career choice.

and i'm a miserable f!ck.

i studied math, i was an investment banker for a lil bit. i was making quite a bit of $$, also b/c i never had time to spend it. now i stepped down from that, i'm in investment management, but i regret not following my dreams... and chasing $$ instead.

Originally posted by playa123

Well here i am. a high school senior who was recently told psychologists dont make particularly good money, so i guess tats outta the question for me now. What i wanted to know is what are you guys doin with your lives? Whos the corporate exec or whatever n how did you get there?

my drug habit landed me in this crappy job of mailroom and clerk bullshit...i am working my way through school now and doing some website work now so maybe something in my life will change soon...

i would def agree with go with something that you like to do. do not go into something fo r the money cuase u'll be misreable. and it's ok to go through careers and jobs cuas thatshow u figure out what u like. and also try to be a responsible, reliable person no matter waht. taht is very important i think.

Originally posted by fouroneone

I disagree with the fact that money = success. I work for the United Nations High Comissioner with a NGO, travel the world, and help refugees every single day. While I could be down on wall street making twice what i make, I feel 100 times better and happier going into work everyday.

The nonprofit world is tough, but you get so much satisfaction from your job. I have been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, and I have seen kids faces that we have helped, blah, blah, blah.

what are you doing in the SA/HR board...? I thought only unhappy drug users visit this board....

j/k ;)

Originally posted by fouroneone

I have been to Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, and I have seen kids faces that we have helped, blah, blah, blah.

thats too cool.

ive been all those places too but I had to teach all the kids how to kill each other.

im sure it wasnt as rewarding

but certainly if you can get satisfatcion out of your job and still not have to stress about the bills you are blessed.