Clubplanet Nightlife Community

So NYC is into progressive house/house...

That is all fine and dendy. But how come we always get the same people? And I am recognizing the skillz of Eric Morillo, Roger Sanchez, Danny Howells, DT, and all others. They are cream of the crop of house/progressive sounds. But BUT there are TONS of other famous and really good djs that either never been to NYC or been here so long ago that no1 remembers. For example

Humate-one of the most mysterious djs from Superstition label in Germany. Amazing tracks were put out by him consistently throughout the years and played by the likes of Oakie to Diggers. Trememendous live sets with build ups that send crowds HIGH. NEVER BEEN TO USA

Taucher-a one man show. If you ever see him spin live he is doing everything behind the decks: from spinning to acrobatics. Unreal live sets, track selections, build-ups. Been here only ONCE in Webster Hall. I mean I am sure Talla would now allow him to mix 3!!!! out of 17 Techno Clubs.

Union Jack-whoever heard his tracks would sure remember them. But did anyone ever hear a live set by him? Probably only few. Yet he was proclaimed as one of the best artists on Platipus record.

Oliver Lieb (L.S.G.)-I dont think he needs introduction. Some of you might say that he is more techno, but beleive me he has plenty of things to say about progressive and even trance. And he was here in...SOUND FACTORY.

So these are just a few to name. What you think?

:shades2

I agree with you 100% but alot of the people you mention people arent familiar with.

Humate, i must say is F*CKING GREAT! I also agree on Oliver Lieb. Eventhough hes tends to spin diff, for the most part people here would like him.

Theres so much talent right here in NY (whether you like it or not) that isnt recognized either.

Some of these DJ's from other countries wont come here. They dont like it here. Can you blame them. It seems like in NY, if you dont like a DJ, they are horrible, meanwhile its just not your style.

Just look at the feuds on this stupid little messageboard over DJ's like JP, DT, Morillo, Boris, Tsettos, Baez. Its seems like out of these Dj's, if someone likes one, they hate the others.

Now you tell me...would YOU want to DJ here? lol

Yes in a hard beat!!! This is such a virgin territory. A true DJ can tear a place apart if he will not care about opinions. I've seen it happening. Sister Bliss came here once I beleive in Twilo and delivered a tribal set that I am sure would put the scare in a jungle. I mean the place was mental for all of her 5 hour set. And just because people are not familiar with them does not mean that djs are not good or they shouldnt come. Remember all these people started somewhere and noone knew them at one point either. So for them it wouldnt be the start from nothing. And Dj will come here. If you ask him he will. Dont go for djs that became rock stars, go for the talent and you will see. Jules was in NYC long before 1st time he did a Gatecrasher party in Limelight. You know what he said? Noone ever approached me to spin anywhere in NYC. I was coming here for years to shop for records!!!! IMAGINE THAT!! You will never know unless you try. And if you noticed I went out of MY way to name djs in the category where NYC stands in terms of music-progressive house/house.

Originally posted by Teknojunkee

I agree with you 100% but alot of the people you mention people arent familiar with.

Humate, i must say is F*CKING GREAT! I also agree on Oliver Lieb. Eventhough hes tends to spin diff, for the most part people here would like him.

Theres so much talent right here in NY (whether you like it or not) that isnt recognized either.

Some of these DJ's from other countries wont come here. They dont like it here. Can you blame them. It seems like in NY, if you dont like a DJ, they are horrible, meanwhile its just not your style.

Just look at the feuds on this stupid little messageboard over DJ's like JP, DT, Morillo, Boris, Tsettos, Baez. Its seems like out of these Dj's, if someone likes one, they hate the others.

Now you tell me...would YOU want to DJ here? lol

Oliver Lieb was in SF one Thursday in 2000 or one of those years. I have a flyer to prove it. Not to mention that I actually SAW him there. You can argue? Go right ahead. But bring some other djs into play except those I named in the opening post.

Originally posted by sleepiswaste

i can argue against every dj you mentioned....but i wont...you like what you like.

lieb never played nyc....even though he was booked a few times.

Originally posted by tranceou

Oliver Lieb was in SF one Thursday in 2000 or one of those years. I have a flyer to prove it. Not to mention that I actually SAW him there. You can argue? Go right ahead. But bring some other djs into play except those I named in the opening post.

he was supposed to play SF, Centro-FLy, and twilo...

he never showed for any of these gigs.

ask around....

Originally posted by sleepiswaste

he was supposed to play SF, Centro-FLy, and twilo...

he never showed for any of these gigs.

ask around....

I remember he didnt show up in Twilo and CF and Boston. But unless I was looking at his twin brother he was in SF on Thursday (I even remember the day of the week)

I don't recall him being at SF but he definitely bagged on several other dates.

And there are other house / prog / trance dj's (other than PVD, S&D, etc.) that have come through here / play here semi regularly (like a couple times a year).

Maas

Cattaneo

Holden (is coming to town in March i think)

Glaude

Farina

Scot Bond

etc. etc.

NY is a hard place to have a residency I think (at least it has been for the last couple years). Maybe this will change now that there are 4 or 5 clubs with serious systems and the size to make it worth while for some of these folks with residencies elsewhere to swing through....

Yes all of the ones you mentioned BEEN here before. Which means we saw them on more than one occasion. I am talking about peeps that been here ONCE and usually in a not so appealing place. Or peeps that never been here.

Originally posted by barvybe

I don't recall him being at SF but he definitely bagged on several other dates.

And there are other house / prog / trance dj's (other than PVD, S&D, etc.) that have come through here / play here semi regularly (like a couple times a year).

Maas

Cattaneo

Holden (is coming to town in March i think)

Glaude

Farina

Scot Bond

etc. etc.

NY is a hard place to have a residency I think (at least it has been for the last couple years). Maybe this will change now that there are 4 or 5 clubs with serious systems and the size to make it worth while for some of these folks with residencies elsewhere to swing through....

well of course there are tons of those!!!

you have to look to smaller venues to find them and venues will only book people who they think will bring in a crowd / people only come to spin at places that make them a good offer or they really just happen to be here for something.

i think most of the dj's you're referring to have good, regular, steady work elsewhere and would only come here if it was worth their while - as in they felt they could build a following her, someone made them a nice offer, or there's a promotion group here that's ready to get behind them...

...that's true everywhere though. :)

there's a promotion group here that's ready to get behind them...

I think this is true. And I think Avalon has that. I mean they are bringing Lisa Lashes!!! And beleive me she has a really nice thing going in UK right about now. And you will be surprised what people might want to come to NYC. I already mentioned about Judge Jules. "...If you ask him he will. Dont go for djs that became rock stars, go for the talent and you will see. Jules was in NYC long before 1st time he did a Gatecrasher party in Limelight. You know what he said? Noone ever approached me to spin anywhere in NYC. I was coming here for years to shop for records!!!! IMAGINE THAT!!" People like Yves De Ruyter, PUSH, Talla, Taucher, Scott Project all would gladly come here. And they are not as expensive as you think you are. Promotion is the key.

I think this is true. And I think Avalon has that. I mean they are bringing Lisa Lashes!!! And beleive me she has a really nice thing going in UK right about now. And you will be surprised what people might want to come to NYC. I already mentioned about Judge Jules. "...If you ask him he will. Dont go for djs that became rock stars, go for the talent and you will see. Jules was in NYC long before 1st time he did a Gatecrasher party in Limelight. You know what he said? Noone ever approached me to spin anywhere in NYC. I was coming here for years to shop for records!!!! IMAGINE THAT!!" People like Yves De Ruyter, PUSH, Talla, Taucher, Scott Project all would gladly come here. And they are not as expensive as you think you are. Promotion is the key.

judge jules and lisa lashes are tools of merchandising......

no talent involved.

Originally posted by vlock942

Oliver Lieb was just in the US, but I think out on the west coast...Union Jack doesn't exist anymore, they split up a while ago

Well we live on East Coast which means he has to come down here no? And about Union Jack ok they split up, I am sure they are doing solo carreers.

He played both SF and Limelight after tunnel closed.

Comes as a surprise to me. I've been to Limelight religiously since Tunnel closed and NEVER saw him in that stretch. And as far as SF concerned definately a news to me. The only person I remember from there in the passed few years are Van Dyk and Fergie. THATS it. I checked the message boards/flyers and did not find any indicators he was here.

Originally posted by jaysea

i think alot of people are scared to play here, lol

ny is a big fucken town to do bad in,

a bad set in ny, could HAUNT u, the rest of your life, ask any dj's NY is a hard place to play in,

I admitt it is a challenge. But what a challenge. Go back to your country and say "Yeah I ROCKED that night"!!!

Comes as a surprise to me. I've been to Limelight religiously since Tunnel closed and NEVER saw him in that stretch. And as far as SF concerned definately a news to me. The only person I remember from there in the passed few years are Van Dyk and Fergie. THATS it. I checked the message boards/flyers and did not find any indicators he was here.

wow, are you kidding me? Scott Project was on point at the Limelight during the Gatecrasher party. wow, what a memorable party. glad to say that was one of the last parties i attended there.

edit: come to think of it, all the gatecrasher parties at the Limelight (after the tunnel closed) was dope. are you sure you know what you're talking about? :confused:

Originally posted by kitty19

wow, are you kidding me? Scott Project was on point at the Limelight during the Gatecrasher party. wow, what a memorable party. glad to say that was one of the last parties i attended there.

Uhm you sure you are not mistaking him with Scott Bond? I was at all Crasher parties in Limelight and HONEST TO GOD cant remember Project being there.

Uhm you sure you are not mistaking him with Scott Bond? I was at all Crasher parties in Limelight and HONEST TO GOD cant remember Project being there.

I was right. Crasher's American tour was just their ressies. Project never held residency in Crasher.