Clubplanet Nightlife Community

anyone else hit the ritual expo @ roseland?

I went yesterday and have to say I was disappointed. it was promoted as offerring the underground culture and really was nothing more than a flea market....all commerce, no culture. and the fashions weren't anything I hadn't already seen at Canal Jeans (literally, there were 2 things there I almost bought at CJ earlier). the fashion shows themselves were laughable, which was at least entertaining. I was hoping for some really creative, energetic, from the streets stuff. there were 2 guys painting, but nothing done to make them more visable and intriguing. generally, my friends and I felt that it could've been so much more but the managers let if fall flat. the space was set up badly, there was no vibe to keep your interest between dj sets, nothing to facilitate participation.

the only thing that saved it was the djs. kid kuala & p-love were un-f*ing-believable. i've never ever seen anything like that. kuala played the turntables like an instrument, literally. he did this crazy thing where he recreated a horn solo using only the turntable & scratching. you had to see it to believe it. we were all screaming.

but sadly, the lull between sets killed the buzz and there wasn't much to make you want to hang around. I also felt bad for the djs, some of whom had come from overseas, because they were spinning to such a minimal crowd.

just seemed like some out of touch middle aged man went decided to try to ride the wave and make some money off of an urban culture he couldn't comprehend.

on the upside, my bf and I took 30 glowsticks between us from the AT&T booth to make up for the $12 admission fee.

FG

------------------

nuturing the embers

Archived