Clubplanet Nightlife Community

remember the tunnel

Originally posted by ianjohn

I wish I cen get a hold of a time machine and go to NYC 10 years ago.

Tunnel was the bast party I have ever been to. Limelight and Twilo were the shit too. Nothing comes close to it to this day.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MUSIC???

WHAT HAPPANED TO THE TALENT???

DOWN WITH CLEAR CHANNEL, THEY ARE DESTROYING EVERYTHING!!!

we are the people who where responsible and destroyed everything..

We had a Mini-Tunnel Reunion at Delft a couple weeks ago with Jimmy Sky and Bashar who played there together for 3 years; it was sooo fun, classics almost all night! I never went to Tunnel til much later but was into the same music the whole time, so I had a blast at the party anyway.

**It Began In Africa...** lol

We wanna do it again in a month or two, I hope we get to it :)

bsg

I blame the corporations especially Clear Channel for saturating this country with crappy music. They own 1,200 + radio stations in the US. Thats close to 70%. Kids nowadays (18 yr. olds) think that Justin Timberlake is house music. If you want to change this, make sure to go out and vote, and get the republicans out of office. Sorry, but Clear Channel, and George Bush go hand and hand.

that was the first nyc club i ever went to! i think i was still in h.s. i went with my friend who was pretty naive, some guy was walkin around yellin "X?" and she was like yelling back, i was like no honey he wants to give you drugs. good times.

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys....... it has been a very long time since I came to check out the message boards..... hope everyone is doing well!

Those videos of Tunnel, Limelight, USA etc.... are mine, taken over the years from when I had the residencies in those places. Those are short edits that I put together for ohm productions website. I have much more footage if any of you are really interested in it. I suppose if anyone is going to be in Manhattan I could dub it all onto VHS and you could start to copy it around for each other.

I don't get to check the board often so email me or IM me!

info@djcorbett.com

AIM: DjCorbett

Peace!

i had one of the best nights in a while. this past sat. me & ma wife went to black (jp & j. vic) were spinning. they really ripped it. It felt like the old times, people dancing to these hot A$$ house beATSS. And the main thing was that peps were battling in de circles. You know some were trying to show their skillz off in the circle and battling others. NO violence, No Hard feelings , JUST BREAKING, FOOTWORKING, HOUSE DANCING , & WHATEVER YOU GOT, BUT MAKE sure its TIGHT . BLACK on sat . deff. is a spot to STRAIGHT UP DANCING, and having Circles. KEEP DANCING PEEPS.

NO violence, No Hard feelings , JUST BREAKING, FOOTWORKING, HOUSE DANCING , & WHATEVER YOU GOT, BUT MAKE sure its TIGHT . BLACK on sat . deff. is a spot to STRAIGHT UP DANCING, and having Circles. KEEP DANCING PEEPS.

gr8 way to spam

:blown:

• 2 weeks later...
I would get there like at 1am go to the kurfew side and hang in the fuzzy room then i would make my way into the bathroom's up stairs, i have made so meny friends in that bathroom,,,then i would go into the room in back and listen to some hardcore...I came across so meny people in that place...black,white gay,straight,,clubkids,,we all partied together...:eek: 98 had to be one of the best years there...i would stay till about 9am walk out side into the morning sun... ps anyone there the night that kid died outside the club and no one could leave till they took everyones name down....RIP

Hey, I used to spin in the Kenny Scharf room (fuzzy pink room) in '98 with Jerome Farley on the main floor. Is that when you used to go? Maybe we've met. I had the party called Starburst...

Yes i was going around that time but late in 98...OCT 31 1998 wow what a night......6 years have gone bye so fast....we might have met but i can only remember faces not names to meny....But sat nights were like any other... :bowdown::bowdown:

Yes i was going around that time but late in 98...OCT 31 1998 wow what a night......6 years have gone bye so fast....we might have met but i can only remember faces not names to meny....But sat nights were like any other... :bowdown::bowdown:

I spun in there too, on fridays for a while, when Eddie B was on main floor, but we left within a couple of months because Peter Gatien was WAY TO SHADY with $$$... :argue2:

Better than pictures, here is some video from Tunnel :D Enjoy! http://www.ohmproductions.com/video/tunnel_384k.wmv

damnnn i neva went 2 tunnel b4...but it looks like every single kid was rolling HARD! girls with passifiers, looking excited like a lil boy at a glowstick and not cracked out to it, bottles of water everywhere...my prime was at exit listening 2 tony draper pots and pans :bounce::bounce: ...was it always like this? with EVERYONE rolling in the place when xtc was somewhat pure?

Man --

Ive read every post in this thread and watched the Limelight video. The limelight video brought happy tears to my eyes in a second. I'm not sure, but based upon the previous posts, my patronage of Limelight appears to be even a decade earlier.... starting in 1988.

Let me tell you, in 1988, you dressed up in the thick of winter with your adult-looking jacket to make yourself looking older for the doorperson. You walk up with two hotel girls from your college and put the girls in front of you for the doorperson. And with a wink, smile, and hug, bam, you were in. Forget carding, we were in, time and time again.

The upstairs railing watching the clubgoers downstairs, the hitting on foreign tourists in the club, the pipe organs. At that time, Madonna's Like a Prayer (never my favorite song) was a hit, and they lit up the organ pipes on CUE with the song, and each pipe flashed in sequence with the lead in to the song. That stuff just blew the socks off your feet as a 6' tall kid looking at ernormous organ pipes on a wall being light sequence with a song.

It's amazing. Before I watched the video, I couldnt in my mind remember what the outside of the Limelight looked like, and then, in a heartbeat, you showed it in the video, and you brought tears to my eyes.

In 1988 to 2000, Limelight, Tunnel, and Mars was the bomb, each with their own reputation of crowd and experiences you would encounter, and man, were those reputations.

The video while later still brilliantly captures the look, attire, senseability of people at that time.

I never did Tunnel, although wanted to. In fact, a couple of years ago, someone told me an episode of Sex and the City talk about the Tunnel decades earlier than the show and how Carry had gotten pregnant at the Tunnel back then, to which Samatha said "oh, remember what use to go down at the Tunnel?"

Mars, however, I did patronize and boy was Mars unique. Does anyone have pics or vids of Mars? What made Mars great was its ability to shock you with bizarre acts in each room in a clubgoing setting in the middle of a rundown area (if I remember correctly). The vibe -- you could cut it with a KNIFE at Mars. Un-be-lievable vibe.

By around 2000 Club USA was just about opening (if my memory is correct) and since I was leaving NYC at that time, never got to attend but the opening reviews then were unbelievable.

The person who posted those videos, thank you so much, that was wonderful. A part of my memory had been lost and you've brought that back some heart-moving memories of one's clubgoing-coming-of-age period (for choice of a better word), many memories, more of which I would love to volunteer if anyone wants to hear them. :cry:

If anyone else went to Mars or Limelight in the 1980s to early 90s, post your comments. Would luv to hear them :)

Yes i was going around that time but late in 98...OCT 31 1998 wow what a night......6 years have gone bye so fast....

Oooooof! Halloween Night '98 @ Tunnel....I was there! The only track I remember was "Sunglasses at Night". When that was dropped, the fuckin' place ERUPTED! Everyone just jumped in the air and went MAD.

Lord, I can still remember the sun when we left that morning. A bright burst of orange and gold in the sky to the left when you exited the stairs. That night was pure insanity....unfortunately for me, it was even the WORST night in Tunnel that I ever had. But even though it was that bad, it was just THAT good.

What flash backs I have thinking of that night...I can still remember half the people I met, the girl with the white paints and feather boa dancing on the main dance floor the last 3 hours of the night....what memories.

Guest gabo
Oooooof! Halloween Night '98 @ Tunnel....I was there! The only track I remember was "Sunglasses at Night". When that was dropped, the fuckin' place ERUPTED! Everyone just jumped in the air and went MAD.

Lord, I can still remember the sun when we left that morning. A bright burst of orange and gold in the sky to the left when you exited the stairs. That night was pure insanity....unfortunately for me, it was even the WORST night in Tunnel that I ever had. But even though it was that bad, it was just THAT good.

What flash backs I have thinking of that night...I can still remember half the people I met, the girl with the white paints and feather boa dancing on the main dance floor the last 3 hours of the night....what memories.

wasnt that the night we had sex in the bathroom? :makeout: