Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is the Bush Administration's plan for Iraq working?

Is the Bush Administration's plan for Iraq working?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Bush Administration's plan for Iraq working?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

In lieu of the week's past events between the closing of the a popular shi'ite newspaper, the bombing of mosques, capturing of close adviser of radical clerics, seizing of cities, etc...Do you feel the Bush Administration's plan for Iraq is working?:confused:

Originally posted by siceone

I say yes because governments like Iran and Syria that are helping the crazies are seeing that Iraq is so close to being a democracy in the region.

Even if thats true, then it only seems like they're winning right now, not the Bush administration's vision of Iraq.

Originally posted by jamiroguy1

In lieu of the week's past events between the closing of the a popular shi'ite newspaper, the bombing of mosques, capturing of close adviser of radical clerics, seizing of cities, etc...Do you feel the Bush Administration's plan for Iraq is working?:confused:

popular shi'ite newspaper?

It's one thing to have freedom of speech but it's another thing to yell fire in a movie theater.

Al sadr newspaper was blaming the U.S for the terrorist bombings that have been claimed by Zarqawi insurgents. It's a good thing the paper was shut down.

It's a battle of ideas as well and we cannot tolerate a radical cleric spreading lies and ignoring the positives.

Originally posted by mr mahs

popular shi'ite newspaper?

It's one thing to have freedom of speech but it's another thing to yell fire in a movie theater.

Al sadr newspaper was blaming the U.S for the terrorist bombings that have been claimed by Zarqawi insurgents. It's a good thing the paper was shut down.

It's a battle of ideas as well and we cannot tolerate a radical cleric spreading lies and ignoring the positives.

I'm not going to argue with you that they're weren't spreading lies in that newspaper but you combat lies by showing the iraqi people the truth, not taking away their voice. We totally played into Sadr hands by doing this and as you can see with the past weeks events this hasn't help quell the violence or do you see things changing for the better?

I'm not going to argue with you that they're weren't spreading lies in that newspaper but you combat lies by showing the iraqi people the truth, not taking away their voice. We totally played into Sadr hands by doing this and as you can see with the past weeks events this hasn't help quell the violence or do you see things changing for the better?

How do we show the people the truth when a respected cleric is spreading lies?

How do we show the people the truth when a respected cleric is spreading lies?

The same way the right wing press trumps a left wing lie or vice versa. You don't see the "liberal media" shutting down fox news because they don't like what they report. That's freedom of Speech and democracy, my friend.

The message that we've sent the Shi'ites is that 'we don't like what this cleric says so we are going to down shut this paper...What? Still pissed? Ok, no we want him arrested/caputred/dead." You see how these people are pissed? Doesn't seem like freedom to them. They've lived under Saddam long enough and deserve freedom.

First things first. We need de-escalate this violence. Again, attacking mosques isn't going to work.

The same way the right wing press trumps a left wing lie or vice versa. You don't see the "liberal media" shutting down fox news because they don't like what they report. That's freedom of Speech and democracy, my friend.

The message that we've sent the Shi'ites is that 'we don't like what this cleric says so we are going to down shut this paper...What? Still pissed? Ok, no we want him arrested/caputred/dead." You see how these people are pissed? Doesn't seem like freedom to them. They've lived under Saddam long enough and deserve freedom.

First things first. We need de-escalate this violence. Again, attacking mosques isn't going to work.

And Al sadr calling to arms his followers is going to cause a world of hurt for both sides.

Like I said.. Feedom of speech is one thing but telling b;lantant lies is another and can't be tolerated...

And Al sadr calling to arms his followers is going to cause a world of hurt for both sides.

Like I said.. Feedom of speech is one thing but telling b;lantant lies is another and can't be tolerated...

so you think we should shut down the national enquirer then?

Originally posted by bigpoppanils

or National Review? :hat:

btw: I think Bush's June 30th goal is highly unrealistic.

I don't. I think it needs to go as planned. First of all, it is more symbolic than having substance, but a necessary first step. We need to start putting an Iraqi face on the occupation.

Second of all, that date is exactly why you are seeing an increase in much of the violence. Moving the date gives a victory to those who oppose a new Iraq. Sadr and Fallujah lose in a democratic Iraq. We need to show resolve.

In addition, you are also seeing the unfortunate lessons and fallback from Spain in Iraq now with the kidnapping of individuals whose home countries have troops in iraq, with the threat they will be killed unless their countries withdraw.

Need to show toughness and resolve. The enemies are counting on the lack of will, resolve and toughness from the West, and for too long, we have given them that victory. They prey on that weakness, and use our own press to further that. It needs to end.

Originally posted by igloo

I don't. I think it needs to go as planned. First of all, it is more symbolic than having substance, but a necessary first step. We need to start putting an Iraqi face on the occupation.

Second of all, that date is exactly why you are seeing an increase in much of the violence. Moving the date gives a victory to those who oppose a new Iraq. Sadr and Fallujah lose in a democratic Iraq. We need to show resolve.

In addition, you are also seeing the unfortunate lessons and fallback from Spain in Iraq now with the kidnapping of individuals whose home countries have troops in iraq, with the threat they will be killed unless their countries withdraw.

Need to show toughness and resolve. The enemies are counting on the lack of will, resolve and toughness from the West, and for too long, we have given them that victory. They prey on that weakness, and use our own press to further that. It needs to end.

a post without an isnult?!

its an historic moment!!! :)

Originally posted by igloo

agreed- if past administrations had acted properly when other american have been murdered by terrorists- we might have possibly avoided the current situation. but it seems not enough americans had died- for us to get the message. it took apprx 3000 american lives for us to get the message. we should have been acting- even if one american gets murdered by a terrorist-we should have acted.