Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sander K @ Crobar reviews....:

sander was OK at crobar but actually he only played about 3 major major tracks.

otherwise he did a lot of percussive style beats, im accustomed to more melody from him...the hard beats he cooked up reminded me of digweed's set up records but Sander didnt kill with climaxes the way Diggers, and sander at times, can.

the best tunes were some vocal-housey tracks and a trance number of sorts, the crowd was really pumping the whole way from 1;30-6 but while sander's set was beat-heavy, i didnt feel the transcendant heavenly music he sometimes brought at arc.

lawler's set at crobar was 1000% better and hernan cattaneo at centrofly and burridge last time at arc played in a similar style to sander but they brought the melody, basslines & bombs. I didnt think it was sander's best night, altho the club was hopping and the 4/4 was very danceable. m just acccustomed to more melody & lift from sanders best sets.

curious what others thought: there were a few arc-o-lytes in the house for sure....

sander KILLED it! was there from 3:30 until closing. a very progressive set, i too miss his vinyl days but he did a good job at crobar. i loved it when he dropped depeche mode around 5ish. was expecting some more 80's type of vocal towards the end, but being that it was crobar his set differed than the last 2 times i saw him at vinyl. :eek: :eek: :eek:

true - a very diff set from his usual...

a lot of sick break style beats - but i thot overally the set was okay...def used to listening to more melody/lift/vocals from him...ive heard sander play some really amazing sets and this def wasnt one of them...

however i did have a blast from 5am till close when there was more space to dance and when he dropped tracks like depeche mode's its no good...

also i fucking loved john creamer - when he was spinning from

12-1am it was absolute bliss!:cool:

Originally posted by hapakia

sander KILLED it! was there from 3:30 until closing. a very progressive set, i too miss his vinyl days but he did a good job at crobar. i loved it when he dropped depeche mode around 5ish. was expecting some more 80's type of vocal towards the end, but being that it was crobar his set differed than the last 2 times i saw him at vinyl. :eek: :eek: :eek:

what party were u at...i thought there was about 20 minutes of good tunes...i personally think someone at crobar told sander to no play too "underground" cause of the crowd that goes to crobar...the crowd seemed to be standing still and his track selection just was lacking something...overall a disappointing set

on the positive side, an underperforming night from sander is still better than 90%+ of the Djs alive....his approach at crobar was more on the breaks/beats/rhytmic textures side...he keeps that beat going so strong that you dont even notice how technically skilled he is at banging one record into the next- its subtle.

on the down side, that was NOT the sander that won our hearts many a time at vinyl/arc. this was a physical sander set, not the uplifting, inspiring, transcendant progressive/house/trance style that made sander one of the most respected DJs alive.

there was seriously ONE vocal house track that radiated the melody and energy that his sets used to have for several hours. and ONE trance-y track that sounded so sweet after several hours of the bang bang. his set was like one long set up rhythmic pattern that left one waiting for the climactic bomb tracks that were supposed to be coming. digweed does that, howells & burridge will whip out dirty-bass killers....sander didnt pull out those crescendo records friday.

some of the rhythm pattern were interesting, banging 2 percussive tracks against each other...other times sander's cool interplay of 2 songs at once was undermined by fuzzy sound.

lawler had crisper sound at crobar. sander had the volume, but his combinations of 2 tracks sounded buzzy & distorted at times.

better than 90% of the DJs on earth? YES.

Did sander show what he's capable of?? NO.

i posted earlier that sander KILLED it last night, which is what i still think, but i also posted that it was not his usual vinyl set. i went there expecting something different, and i enjoyed it. the crobar crowd is a commercial crowd, so if lets say howells spins there you can expect some guido house from him and not his usual set also(which is what howells dropped in the gay pride party at vinyl he did with dt). but all in all sander rocked, i was there from like 3:30 to closing, i was dancing and having a good time. but if you are going to crobar and if you are expecting to hear a set like those from vinyl in the past, well :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, I gotta say he disappointed me last night. I guess I was expecting WMC sander, and got mainstream...

The first two hours were awful, it could've been joe anybody spinning... He got better around 3 ish... stayed until 5ish by then I knew he wasn't going to turn it up a notch...

But I liked the crowd... a ton of ladies, and a bunch of gay guys (not a problem, that just means more girls for me!)...

Oh well... This just raises the question for future sets at crobar... if named DJ's go there, will they tone it down?

Definitely agree with some of you that Sander didn't play like his usual self. A little soft for my taste. He basically didn't take to the next level. I'm more use to his hard, bangin' progressive beats. There was that one serious track that I believe clinton mentioned that was nasty. For some reason, I think it was his new remix of Janet Jackson, but I could be wrong. Overall, his set was alright, but I still had a good time as always. Sander K is still one of the best dj's. :D

Can anyone ID the track he dropped around 515-530am...extremely proggy..female vocal..and I believe Sasha and Digweed played this song as well at Crobar..something along the lines of "I know we can..." forgive me I was mangled so my memory isnt the greatest w/ the lyrics...it wasnt too long after the Depeche Mode track.

Originally posted by joecrack13

what party were u at...i thought there was about 20 minutes of good tunes...i personally think someone at crobar told sander to no play too "underground" cause of the crowd that goes to crobar...the crowd seemed to be standing still and his track selection just was lacking something...overall a disappointing set

Do you really think the clubs tell the DJs what to play?

sander wasn't into it and that brings me down.....but I still tried to have a good time.....and eventually I did between 2-5am.....then I had to leave....work waiting in the morning.....

still enjoyed it.....

and I agree....this wasn't the sander I know

but Djs got their days as well..........can't be great all the time... otherwise we would not appreciate the great paries....

bla bla :)