Clubplanet Nightlife Community

LeBron wins Rookie of the Year title

As taken from the Associated Press:

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James won the NBA Rookie of the Year award Tuesday, capping a remarkable season in which he revived the Cleveland Cavaliers.

James, the 19-year-old guard more than lived up to unprecedented hype, becoming the youngest player to receive the award.

James, last year's No. 1 overall draft pick, beat out Denver's Carmelo Anthony, his close friend. Anthony, also 19, played one season of college basketball, leading Syracuse to the NCAA championship.

James received 508 points, including 78 of a possible 118 first-place votes, to become the first Cleveland rookie honored.

Anthony finished with 430 points -- with the other 40 first-place votes -- in balloting by sports writers and broadcasters. Dwyane Wade of the Miami Heat was third with 117 points.

The players received 5 points for a first-place vote, 3 for second and 1 for third. Chicago's Kirk Hinrich, Toronto's Chris Bosh and Dallas' Marquis Daniels also got votes.

James was to receive his trophy Tuesday night at the NBA Store in New York.

James averaged 20.9 points, 5.5 rebounds and 5.9 assists, joining Oscar Robertson and Michael Jordan as the only NBA rookies to average at least 20-5-5.

After going 17-65 last season, the Cavaliers went 35-47 and finished ninth in the Eastern Conference, one spot out of the playoffs.

James not only turned the Cavaliers into a legitimate team while packing arenas around the league, he did it while his game was endlessly dissected and his face was everywhere.

"He put us on his back," forward Carlos Boozer said last week. "At the beginning, people were almost hoping he'd fail. He didn't. Not only that, he did everything with a smile."

i think carmelo anthony deserved it more. he had similar #'s, sure he's got a better overall team around him, but he plays in the west, and the west in general is way tougher than the east. plus the nuggets won way more games this year than last, the cavs had the same record.

Originally posted by vicman

i think carmelo anthony deserved it more. he had similar #'s, sure he's got a better overall team around him, but he plays in the west, and the west in general is way tougher than the east. plus the nuggets won way more games this year than last, the cavs had the same record.

true..........

yeah it was a tough call between Lebron and Carmelo. I guess Lebron got it since he managed to pull through all the hype and actually do better than was expected... and he's 18. Carmelo might have gotten it if he wasn't such a crybaby the last few weeks before the playoffs, I'm sure that hurt his votes.

Originally posted by vicman

agreed

its a shame mello keeps getting overshadowed by the biggest hype since sliced bread...aka Lebron James