Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A few Post-911 War questions ...

marcodavalos

1) Do we know the diffference between a guerilla and a terrorist?

2) What is more fanatic and deep inside their own roots ... fanatism for political/ideological thought or religious thought?

3) Does military force defeat terrorists?

4) Are there more anti-US terrorists now than before 3/20/03? ... Can we say we are safer?

5) Does the Dept. of Homeland Security and the Patriot Act make us safer? ... had we had this in place prior to 911, could the damage been minimized?

6) Why does Al-Qaeda/Bin Laden hate the US?

7) Does the French experience of the 1960's and Algerian terrorism teach us something?

8) Does the Israeli-Palestinian conflict teach us anything we can use in our own anti-terrorism war?

9) Does the Camerouge and Cambodia teach us something?

10) Did the Shining Path experience and Peru teach us something?

11) Does ETA and Spain teach us something?

12) Does the IRA and the Republic of Ireland teach us something?

13) Do you defeat terrorism with an army or with intelliegence and local support?

14) In the best case scenario ... when will we win the war on terrorism?

All those questions are a reality for any serious talk on the war on terror. We learn from experience ... and avoid the mistakes by looking into the past.

We exercise policy based on those ... in order to first of all stop the proliferation of the enemy (who has no face) ... and then continue with the reduction of the enemy ... thru convertion as most valuable element, and extermination as second in importance element.

Never feed the alienation of the enemy.

Your thoughts.

All good points Marco... and definitely not rhetorical questions, although the US government may often treat them as such. Greece also has had their fair share of terror with 17 November which was just recently been dismantled. 17 November was a very nationalistic organization who was responsible for the killing of the CIA station chief back in the 70's I believe but more recently the British military attache to the British Embassy in Athens. 17 November almost exclusively targeted political figures. But now, with the Summer Olympics fast approaching, many people are questioning the security measures that will be taken in one of the poorest EU countries. We shall see what happens...

Yeah, I have heard and read the same nonsense. It amuses me a great deal and helps me differentiate between the educated and uneducated.

Our government also has a secret alliance with advanced aliens but can not be reveled for religious matters.

DORK!!!!

Originally posted by obby

Yeah, I have heard and read the same nonsense. It amuses me a great deal and helps me differentiate between the educated and uneducated.

Our government also has a secret alliance with advanced aliens but can not be reveled for religious matters.

DORK!!!!

(in ghost sound)

wwooooOOOoooooWWWWOOOooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

im an alien ghost being hidden by the u.s. govt!!!!!!!!!!!!

so if this summer surprise does happen....what will be ur excuse then obby??????

if it doesnt then all we know is that there never really was any wmd over there!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the u.s. i dumb to think they r gonna stop terrorism......its been going on since people have had differences of opinion!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by marcodavalos

2) What is more fanatic and deep inside their own roots ... fanatism for political/ideological thought or religious thought?

4) Are there more anti-US terrorists now than before 3/20/03? ... Can we say we are safer?

5) Does the Dept. of Homeland Security and the Patriot Act make us safer? ... had we had this in place prior to 911, could the damage been minimized?

7) Does the French experience of the 1960's and Algerian terrorism teach us something?

8) Does the Israeli-Palestinian conflict teach us anything we can use in our own anti-terrorism war?

13) Do you defeat terrorism with an army or with intelliegence and local support?

All those questions are a reality for any serious talk on the war on terror. We learn from experience ... and avoid the mistakes by looking into the past.

We exercise policy based on those ... in order to first of all stop the proliferation of the enemy (who has no face) ... and then continue with the reduction of the enemy ... thru convertion as most valuable element, and extermination as second in importance element.

Never feed the alienation of the enemy.

Your thoughts.

we have learned nothing, continue to immerse and find comfort in our arrogance... so it goes. ;)

Originally posted by voluptuary

"Camerouge" is spelled Khmer Rouge.

Another question:

What does your flubbing of the name Khmer Rouge teach us about your opinions about matters of foreign policy?

Both spellings are correct Volup ... try a search in google. Khmer Rouge and Sendero Luminoso where the two bloodiest terrorist groups known before Al-Qaeda.

And to answer your question ... I feel absolutely objective when it comes to the subject ... did extensive research on it for my Poli Sci thesis ... honour student ( same as in my Economics major).

Don't discredit ... think about those questions because those are the questions everyone should think of once Irak is done.

Originally posted by obby

DORK!!!!

Just remember this: Anything is possible!!! It can go either way...

I would not be surprised if we do get that "summer surprise" that many have been speculating. It's just a matter of time from now on....

There is a big difference in guerilla and a terrorist.!

A whole different mind set and goal.

I did a report in 1996 about guerilla and a terrorist for a school project. It was for a mental psychology class; objective of the report to make or break a link between guerilla and a terrorist and the mental state of mind of each group.

we will never be able to subdue the arab nation, no matter what we're told...nevah! sooner or later, when our government comes to its senses, our boys and girl will be brought back home...until then...more casualties, more dreams and lives wasted in vain.

Originally posted by marcodavalos

guerilla's typically still try to reach military objectives, and don't just attack noncombatant's/civilians for the sake of causing "terror"

for them, there is no difference.

Only in the short term.

(which doesnt mean that it is our fault, or that we shouldn't try to keep people from being killed)

I think we are safer domestically simply because the focus is in Iraq where we are better prepared to deal with it. As for the numbers, imposible to say, but lets not be delusional. Al Quada, for example wants nothing less than the destruction of all infidels, including even the majority other muslims that they dissagree with. They are not going to stop, no matter what, we do.

perhaps it does, but before 9/11 no one would have put up with it. It was too costly and inconvienent.

he hates everyone, we are just the biggest target. Obviously the biggest reason is the support if issreal, but our products and media are a close second. If he destroyed us, he would still have a long list of people that he has vowed to destroy. The saudi government is next for him.

not really... :)

like the french algerian, it is a different dynamic when one country has taken over the country and occupied it for years and years. but of course there are lessons learned. The problem is figuring out which ones are appropriate.

Yeah!!!! don't cut and run when you are done.

I don't konw enough on these 3 to really discuss them, but there have been wars since man picked up a stick to use as a club, and we have'nt learned.

bottom line is that when you have 99 people who are peacefull and one person that wants a fight, you have a fight. Same with war. So at least be prepared.

I don't think it will ever be defeated, like war, poverty, predjudice, etc.... the best we can do is dimish it.

when it just takes one Tim McVeigh to blow up a federal building, we don't have a chance of ever eradicating it.

Worth noting....

As Marco pointed out.

Terrorisim isn't a new problem.

The US isn't the first victim.

Look at the history of these sort of conflicts.

We didn't blame the victims then, and we shouldn't be blaming the victims now. (that means don't blame the USA)

Terrorists at the base level want power and are willing to do anything to get it, no matter how horrific.

It is a historical fact. There will always be a certain section of the population that will do anything, or say anything, to obtain power, no matter what the country. That is true in this country and every other. And it is plain wrong/evil, and needs to be opposed.

we are a target for terrorism at an increased level for a reason. perhaps when we are willing to understand how we got to this level. then and only then will we be able to combat terrorism effectively. also note I did not say win the war on terrorism, as I believe that will never happen. at best we may be able to prevent terrorism through awareness, and better security measures; that don’t supercede our freedoms as a democratic society. if you don't learn from history, you are doomed to failure..

Originally posted by shroomy

Worth noting....

As Marco pointed out.

Little do they know they awoke a sleeping giant.

Worth noting....

As Marco pointed out.

We didn't blame the victims then, and we shouldn't be blaming the victims now. (that means don't blame the USA)

Terrorists at the base level want power and are willing to do anything to get it, no matter how horrific.

It is a historical fact. There will always be a certain section of the population that will do anything, or say anything, to obtain power, no matter what the country. That is true in this country and every other. And it is plain wrong/evil, and needs to be opposed.

I believe every single person opposses Al-Qaeda ... or at least should.

An issue like this should be non-partisan. Objections should be fundamented with solutions .. not just opposing for the sake of oppossing, which indeed is inmature, and "political" (no pun intended).

Originally posted by sobeton

we are a target for terrorism at an increased level for a reason. perhaps when we are willing to understand how we got to this level. then and only then will we be able to combat terrorism effectively. also note I did not say win the war on terrorism, as I believe that will never happen. at best we may be able to prevent terrorism through awareness, and better security measures; that don’t supercede our freedoms as a democratic society. if you don't learn from history, you are doomed to failure..

I agree, but I have heard so many people talk about our problem with muslim fundamentalist the same way I hear some people talk about a rape victim.

well she shouldn't have been wearing that...

well she shouldn't have been in that area...

well she shouldn't have been out at that hour....

well she should have screamed louder ....

bullshit... he shouldn't have raped her and he should be shot.

same with us.... sure we should or shouldnt have done various things, but tough shit, I wasn't responsible for them, and I have no moral ambiguity about where the blame lies.

BTW ... Marco, of course I wasn't writing about you earlier, I was talking about the public in general.

I agree, but I have heard so many people talk about our problem with muslim fundamentalist the same way I hear some people talk about a rape victim.

well she shouldn't have been wearing that...

well she shouldn't have been in that area...

well she shouldn't have been out at that hour....

well she should have screamed louder ....

bullshit... he shouldn't have raped her and he should be shot.

same with us.... sure we should or shouldnt have done various things, but tough shit, I wasn't responsible for them, and I have no moral ambiguity about where the blame lies.

BTW ... Marco, of course I wasn't writing about you earlier, I was talking about the public in general.

our terrorism problem goes well beyond Muslim fundamentalist... we are not getting any wiser as country, and IMO this is at the core of our problems..