Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Clubs, Beach residents at odds

sobeton

Posted on Sun, Apr. 25, 2004

NIGHTLIFE

Clubs, Beach residents at odds

South Beach's nightlife community says tough new rules and a push to cut off liquor sales at 2 a.m. could drive them out of business.

BY NICOLE WHITE

Miami Herald

For more than a decade, Miami Beach's nightlife industry, led by mega clubs such as Nikki Beach and Opium Garden, has created lavishly stylish environs, an exclusive velvet rope and opulent parties for the hippest of the hip -- all in an effort to make the city the place to be.

It worked. Nikki Beach and its beachside tepees have been cloned in St. Tropez and St. Bart's. It was inside Privé, Opium Garden's super VIP section, that J.Lo bumped into her ex-lover Sean ''P. Diddy'' Combs this year, setting the rumor mill abuzz.

But now, the people who run the club scene south of Fifth Street and in the Sunset Harbour area -- home to the popular Purdy Lounge -- feel threatened by a well-organized and influential group of residents intent on a quieter, tamer neighborhood.

''They want us gone,'' said Steve Polisar, an attorney who represents several nightclubs and also chairs the city's Nightlife Task Force. ``The clubs are victims of their own success.''

ORDINANCES PASSED

Since last year, the Miami Beach City Commission has passed a series of ordinances that club owners say will make it difficult to do business.

But most worrisome to the industry so far is the commission's suggestion that it will roll back the sale of alcohol in South Pointe and Sunset Harbour from 5 a.m to 2 a.m.

It follows a crackdown on underage drinking and noise violators, a ban on any new outdoor entertainment in South Pointe, and a recently approved ban on new clubs or restaurants with entertainment licenses in those areas.

The combination, but in particular the 2 a.m cut-off proposal, could prove fatal, said David Kelsey, president of the South Beach Hotel and Restaurant Association.

''It would be catastrophic, there is no other way to view it, '' Kelsey said. ``[Mayor David] Dermer has declared war on tourism.''

Dermer dismisses the nightlife industry's claims that the change in hours would prove apocalyptic.

''I don't think people come here to stay out at 5 a.m. People come here for a variety of reasons, for the beaches, the architecture and the number one reason is the weather,'' he said.

''They have an all-night district in Miami, where they can go and do whatever they need to do if they want to stay out all night,'' Dermer said.

``In the long run, this change would not be a loss, it would be a gain.''

Resident Judy Clayton says the city is finally taking ``a step in the right direction.''

''This is the first time in all our years of fighting that the city is taking a hard look at its residents,'' she said.

Clayton and others say the nightlife industry is responsible for the predicament it now faces because clubs repeatedly ignored residents' cries to turn down the loud music, control the traffic congestion, clean the litter and broken glass in front of their businesses, and control the rowdy behavior from drunken patrons.

Ocean Drive resident Clotilde Luce said the clubs have abused residents for too long and have given up any attempts of striking a fair balance.

`SADOMASOCHISTIC'

''Balance by this definition only fits the kind of balance found in a sadomasochistic couple,'' said Luce at a recent city commission meeting. ``One party is on the accepting end of distress and pain and the other party is doling out the distress and pain.''

Residents insist that the debate has been unfairly framed as a fight against the clubs when they say it's simply a matter of respecting one's neighbors.

''We are not arrogant condo owners. Nothing could be further from the truth,'' South Pointe resident Josh Fisher said at a recent commission meeting.

''It's pretty insulting to hear people say we're turning it into Aventura,'' Fisher said. ``A fine place but not what people here want.''

FORMER DECAY

Twenty years ago, the South Pointe neighborhood was in such decay that city officials used tax dollars to spur redevelopment.

While it was zoned residential, clubs like Nikki Beach and Amnesia (Opium's predecessor) were embraced. Although Amnesia had only applied to be a restaurant with a sprinkle of entertainment, it soon morphed into a nightclub.

Residents said the noise is particularly raucous because the club does not have a roof.

Before the multimillion dollar condominiums, the clubs helped rejuvenate the area and furthered the city's allure as an international hot spot, Polisar said.

''After Sept. 11, we had seminars [organized by Dermer] saying how we were all going to band together. How soon they forget,'' Polisar said. ``Now it's politically expedient to cater to the large condo people that have come in.''

Dermer, who has acknowledged from the dais that he makes decisions based mostly on crowd sentiment, is ''completely out of control,'' said Opium co-owner Roman Jones. ``He's jeopardizing millions of dollars invested down there.''

Jones says his club and others hand over hefty resort taxes to the city each month, money they say the city should use to help clean the streets and provide more policing for the area.

''Businesses and residents have the same concerns instead of dealing with those concerns they would rather shut us down,'' Jones said. ``I can't do more than what I already do.''

Dermer says he is unfazed by the nightclubs' position that the city is being too harsh especially because it is clubs such as Opium, which once had multiple noise violations, that have forced the city to take a tough stance.

''The nightlife industry will blame the city for the problem,'' said Dermer.

`TOO MUCH DISORDER'

They will do ''everything they can in a discussion to avoid the true problem, which is too much disorder and people on the street during early morning hours,'' Dermer said.

``People are trying to sleep at 3, 4 or 5 a.m.''

Others on the commission concede that the city helped create the problems by turning a blind eye to the problem until it exploded.

''Realistically, it was the city's fault for allowing commercial enterprises [such as Nikki Beach and Opium] to go into these neighborhoods,'' said Commissioner Simon Cruz.

``This was our poor planning that created this mess, but just because it was a failure of poor planning doesn't mean you can't correct it.''

Herald staff writer Casey Woods contributed to this report

From what I've read this is only going to affect opium and nikki beach right now. Nikki won't be too affected since most people tend to go there earlier anyways on their biggest night and the place starts emptying out by 1-2. Pearl will get affected as well.

So the only real people getting affected hard by this is opium crew apparently. In due time though, if this passes I see condo owners keep on pushing on and on for more then just those clubs and going after the rest of clubs on the beach.

Downtown it is I guess, but downtown needs to start shaping up because as good as those clubs may be they still need more then just good clubs to replace the beach nightlife.

I had a conversation with Mayor Dermer yesterday regarding this article, specifically the comment that he admittedly makes his decisions based mostly on crowd sentiment. Having been to a number of meetings, I tend to agree with that assessment and told him that we voted for him to make the tough decisions for us. Not everyone in this town is retired and can sit around at city hall all day. Sometimes he's got to make decisions that will be unpopular with the 75 geriatrics who sit in the audience. Fact is, at those critical times, he has to be the voice for those of us who can't be there. He can't be afraid to get booed by the crowd. The best interests of the beach are at stake, and quite frankly, that's all that really matters.

We disagreed on his handling of this issue. But he said the commission tries to put the most explosive issues on the agenda as late in the day as possible so many more people have the opportunity to show up and be heard.

Anyway, second reading of this proposed ordinance is on May 5. Show up if any of you really care (though I never see any of the MB CPers there).

well the tide is turning!!!!!!!!!!! but what do u expect when those people pay out of there ass to live down there.....but it is a sad thing, that the very thing that got people down to that area....is the very thing they want to get rid of.....jst use them while there convinient to use!!!!!!!How sad!!!!!!!!!!

...they should just move ALL the clubs in the Beach and relocate them to Downtown ...make a huge entertainment district .

and i agree with flip.....the beach figures that now they perfer the High priced condo $$$ , rather than the tourist/clubber $$$ .

Forget moving them downtown, have you ever tried parking down there? They should just relocate them (nikki and opium) to another part of the beach where there is less condos. To put a 2 am ordiance would defgive the club industry down here a big kick in the balls. When i go to SoBe I usually don;t leave until 1- 1:30. ....This is miami, if these geezers want silence go to West Palm.

I wrote my letter to the editor.

To sum it up "If you can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen!"

You want peace and quiet, go to Kendall.

I'd love to get a sound truck, park it in front of the Portofino, and show them what real noise is about.

it's my understanding , that this will only apply to a certain part of the beach. although I can see it spreading to other areas if passed. having said that. the city is clueless and does nothing, but spin their wheels. there are several ordinances which have been passed. for instance the sound and loitering ordinances, which are rarely if ever enforced. add to that MB inability to control parking. rather then build more municipal lots, the city would rather license out the few lots available. traffic congestion is ramped on the weekends. MBPD is simply lazy, rather then have more effective foot patrols on the weekends. they would rather sit on their arses, and drive around. part of controlling crowds, preventing crime, etc is to have a strong and visible presence. finally the clubs themselves need to get a clue... there is absolutely no reason why; if I walk by a club, I have go into the street to pass by. simply because the sidewalk is a mess with club patrons. while folks are quick to point the finger at hip hop clubs. the problem extends itself to several non hip hop clubs including crobar, mansion, etc. the city needs to start laying the smack down, on clubs who cannot seem to understand the concept of crowd control in front their establishments.

finally if I live in an area of the beach which is zoned for residential use..then it should remain the same. Clubs don't belong in residential areas. move them to a more appropriate area of the beach.

the city and the nightclub establishments need to wake up. or sit back and watch Downtown Miami suck the life right out of SOBE.

Last time I checked Mansion is a hip-hop club hehe.

Nonetheless, the cops do have to be a little proactive once in awhile...or the clubs themselves.

Space does it. Kirk, Smiley, or Marcus are out in the street with a megaphone telling the cabs, pedestrians, and assorted malcontents to get a move on, and to stop blocking traffic.

Originally posted by macboy

Then I expect to see you at the meeting, Tony.

:D

probably not ,it's pointless unless you can get the Mayor's ear. I have been to several meetings before.

side note: myself and some of my neighbors complained to the city, about the noise and lack of sanitation at the restaurant next door. the city never responded to written or verbal complaints. until my neighbor who is an assistant to Alex Pinellas got Dade County officials involved.

Originally posted by pod

Last time I checked Mansion is a hip-hop club hehe.

Nonetheless, the cops do have to be a little proactive once in awhile...or the clubs themselves.

Space does it. Kirk, Smiley, or Marcus are out in the street with a megaphone telling the cabs, pedestrians, and assorted malcontents to get a move on, and to stop blocking traffic.

they play hip hop and house at Mansion :tongue: Marcus and crew do a sick job @ Space.. the Space front door runs like a well oiled machine..

Originally posted by pod

I wrote my letter to the editor.

To sum it up "If you can't stand the heat, get the hell out of the kitchen!"

You want peace and quiet, go to Kendall.

I'd love to get a sound truck, park it in front of the Portofino, and show them what real noise is about.

peace and quiet in kendalll:eek: obviously u dont live in kendall lol

damn traffic #$%#$%#%$

You get used to the din of traffic after awhile. Try living under the approach to Newark Airport.

The condo owners and residents can "bite my shiny metal ass". Seriously, who are these Johnny-come lately WASP pricks? They think they can throw cash around and ruin a perfectly good beach? .Money is nice, but not if you're gonna be a total jerk with it.

Again, I'd love to park a truck, a 40Kw generator, a few Crest amps, some Dynacords, and Oscar on the decks, in front of the Portofino, and crank that shit all night. They want noise? I'll show 'em. Either that or I'll just resort to getting drunk, pissing in their pools, graffiting their windows with 'Helter Skelter', and otherwise making a lot of noise.

Like I've been saying "Get the hell off my beach!"

Seriously, go back to where you came from if you don't like the noise.

Originally posted by pod

You get used to the din of traffic after awhile. Try living under the approach to Newark Airport.

The condo owners and residents can "bite my shiny metal ass". Seriously, who are these Johnny-come lately WASP pricks? They think they can throw cash around and ruin a perfectly good beach? .Money is nice, but not if you're gonna be a total jerk with it.

Again, I'd love to park a truck, a 40Kw generator, a few Crest amps, some Dynacords, and Oscar on the decks, in front of the Portofino, and crank that shit all night. They want noise? I'll show 'em. Either that or I'll just resort to getting drunk, pissing in their pools, graffiting their windows with 'Helter Skelter', and otherwise making a lot of noise.

Like I've been saying "Get the hell off my beach!"

Seriously, go back to where you came from if you don't like the noise.

Come on...it's 'OUR BEACH' :D

No really, it's shitty for everyone whether you live in the Continuum or in an old-school two story apartment building.

I used to live in the corner of 1st and Collins...and it was absolute hell Friday to Sunday...

People screaming at 5am, people parking their cars outside my apartment at 5am with their stereo FULL BLAST, my windows were rattling.

I DO think the approach is too radical...2am cutoff is the pits for any scene...

Have people in the clubs but get tough on loiterers....Orlando does a great job of that although the O-town police are a bit overbearing

Orlando also has a 2am closing time.... It all seems to me that they brought the tourists to Sobe to pump up the rents.... as they say money does talk.. and I cant blame them for catering to the wealthy people while kicking out the obnoxious (and broke) co-eds.

I agree that they should enforce what goes on on the streets. But inside the clubs? Who cares? The opium building was an open-air venue for ages, and they're just complaining now? It all started when the Portofino went up. The little buildings weren't affected since the building is "walled" up to two stories or so. But the sound projects upwards, so the bourgeios morons in the big buildings are bothered. Didn't the planners take that into account? Guess not. Their mistake, they should live with it....the residents mistake for moving there, as well. They full well know there's clubs around and it gets noisy.

So "get off our beach!", you WASP bastards. Go back to New England and freeze your asses off.

VOTE MAY THE 5TH FOR OR AGAINST IT, THIS IS OUR TOWN AND OUR RIGHTS. IS LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE AND WE CAN TALK ABOUT IT UNTIL WE TURN PURPLE BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS SUPPORT WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN AND IT WILL ALWAYS STAY AROUND, THIS IS A DEMOCRACY AND YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE ON MAY 5TH BY VOTING. OTHERWISE STOP TALKING ABOUT WHAT COULD SHOULD OR WOULD HAVE BEEN, IT'S FUNNY HOW MOST PEPS ON CP LIKE TO TALK ABOUT EVERYTHING BUT HARDLY ACT.

SUPPORT WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

A CLUB, A PERSON OR IN THIS CASE THE FUTURE OF OUR NEIGHBORHOOD.

PEACE

Originally posted by sobeton

side note: myself and some of my neighbors complained to the city, about the noise and lack of sanitation at the restaurant next door. the city never responded to written or verbal complaints. until my neighbor who is an assistant to Alex Pinellas got Dade County officials involved.

SOOOOOOOOOOO u are one of these people who complain and dont want noise at the beach ? hmmm i see .. ladies and gentlemen ... SOBETON is one of these fuckers :mad: :mad:

:laugh: :laugh: :D :D

but seriously tony ... only way to get rid of the noise is to get rid of the nightlife there .. and isnt that what u are bitching about ? "NOT" getting rid of the nightlife ? :confused: