Clubplanet Nightlife Community

WHO ELSE AGREES THAT THE CURRENT CLUB SCENE IS THE SAME OR BETTER THAN IT EVER WAS???

I REALLY AM BEDAZZELED WHEN I SEE POSTS THAT SAY THAT THE club scene used to be good and now it's not. Or it used to be all underground and shit. Please. The CLUB scene has never been better and I'm speaking from experience I"ve been out since the early 90's. Tunnel, roxy and carbon used to be my spots. The clubs are SOOOO much better now. There is more diversity, more people and the music is better, I think a lot of you guys just try to be exclusive and get off on saying that you eexperienced something that other people haven't. The only diff I think is that the security now at clubs is tighter, the way it should be. !!!

to me it was better the in 80's to early 90's.since you were in the scene in the 90's its different for you and I guess our age difference as well.I love the current scene but with the security and the drugs it somewhat puts a dark cloud over the scene.

Shit, am I makinf sense?

------------------

Anthony

I think it depends on a lot of factors.....one obviously being how good the clubs really are but also your age, attitude, and music tastes.....people change, clubs change, music changes, that is all factored in.......I think the club scene right now is hot so that is all that counts to me....Peace.

Mikey

------------------

"Music is life, take a pill and go beyond that...."

Exit Fridays, The World Saturdays -- PM me or email darrelg at Hazepromotions@gateway.net

I think the scene was better 6-8 years ago and here is why:

The people who were in the scene a few years ago ALL loved it dearly. Now electronic is the IN thing. You have more drugs, more people who don't give a shit but only want to be seen. Now if you go into clubs it's just a night out for a good percentage of people out there.

I don't agree the music is better now, there is just more of it so there is more choice.

I think the DJ's ARE better.

I think the scene now is less original. And remember the people who kept it going through those years are due thanks. The scene was kept going for years by people who loved it, people who really felt passionately while all the music press were slagging them.

We used to call NME 'The Enemy' because they were constantly slagging house music. Now it makes untold amount of money they are happy to write about it.

'Back in the Dayz, the better dayz.'

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

The club scene sucks now although I still go. No one can compare the scene from late eighties to early nineties to now. Then rocked!! Now the music is soft, the crowd is beat, and the scene is simply dead! Then everyone was going nuts and under control about doing so. Disco 2000, Arena Palladium, USA, Original SF when it was Twilo, Tunnel then not now. The bottom line: Bring back the clubs of old.

Att: PETER GATIEN BRING BACK THE CLUBS OF OLD; ONLY YOU HAVE THE POWER TO DO SO!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by trancetrax:

Now the music is soft, the crowd is beat, and the scene is simply dead! Then everyone was going nuts and under control about doing so. !

Thats going a little too far, the scene isn't dead.. far from it... it's more alive now than ever... it's just different.

I think that the club scene has been going downhill for at least the past 4 years. I used to go to Limelight, Tunnel, Paladium, Save the Robots, etc and see tons of people really expressing themselves... so many fun, crazy, outrageous, and original outfits. Now if I see one more pair or tight black flare pants with chunky shoes and a halter top I'll gag. I used to also feel free, comfortable, able to really cut loose and have fun... now I see security throwing people out for "sitting wrong," cops in cop uniform checking ID on people who are already wearing ID bracelets (who already had to show ID to get the bracelet, AND at the door), I have to get handed a piece of paper with the club's anti-drug policy on it before I can go in, "one per stall" signs on the bathroom doors, and various other oppressive bullshit. I think the Limelight getting raided at the end of 1995 and then the Tunnel raids the next year marked the end of an era. I can still have fun but it's not the same.

------------------

-----

stEph

ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE!!!! Early 90's? Tunnel, Roxy, CARBON? WHAT????? Whatever..two words...

Limelight

Palladium

Enough said!

The club scene now..sucks compared to then.

There IS NO Comparison.

Originally posted by bastardino:

I REALLY AM BEDAZZELED WHEN I SEE POSTS THAT SAY THAT THE club scene used to be good and now it's not. Or it used to be all underground and shit. Please. The CLUB scene has never been better and I'm speaking from experience I"ve been out since the early 90's. Tunnel, roxy and carbon used to be my spots. The clubs are SOOOO much better now. There is more diversity, more people and the music is better, I think a lot of you guys just try to be exclusive and get off on saying that you eexperienced something that other people haven't. The only diff I think is that the security now at clubs is tighter, the way it should be. !!!

------------------

"Hold on Tight...Enjoy the Ride" -DT

People, that was your scene, and this is now our scene. I agree that security nowadays is a bit too tight but thats cuz you have so many more drugs and ODs now. However, to me, it doesn't matter how a person dresses or how "crazy" a person behaves...I don't measure a good time by that...for me its the music and the vibe it creates...a person could be naked or could be dressed in a suit - it does not matter. All that matters is how much fun you derive from that night...and right now, I have the greatest times at places like Twilo, Buzz in DC, etc. Like everything, the club scene has evolved.

------------------

Music saved my soul!

Thank GAWD for Twilo!

Originally posted by saynotodrama:

ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE!!!! Early 90's? Tunnel, Roxy, CARBON? WHAT????? Whatever..two words...

Limelight

Palladium

Enough said!

The club scene now..sucks compared to then.

There IS NO Comparison.

SEE YOU ARE TOTALY RIGHT PEOPLE WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT THE LIMELIGHT AND PALLADIUM

WERE LIKE THE VIBE THE FEELING EVERYTHING WAS DIFFERENT

------------------

TEDDY WHAT? TEDDY WHO?

tEdDyRuXpIn!!!!

Originally posted by unit_e:

I used to go to Limelight, Tunnel, Paladium, Save the Robots, etc and see tons of people really expressing themselves... so many fun, crazy, outrageous, and original outfits. Now if I see one more pair or tight black flare pants with chunky shoes and a halter top I'll gag.

LOL! So true! I feel your pain!!!!

-iliana

cwm7.gif

GUY, ARE YOU ACTUALLY FOR REAL???

You must’ve never had the opportunity to party back in the day to make a bogus-ass statement like that…

Lemme school you: the scene in the mid-late 90’s was for a crowd that “knew what was up”, and a beautiful crowd to say the least – you had to be special to get through the ropes of the major clubs like Tunnel, USA, Arena, etc. Not to mention people who knew how to do their thing in moderation – unlike these crackheads out today…

Now, the clubs are all about money, letting everybody and their mother through the doors… House Music and these big clubs like Sound Factory and Exit are so freakin homogenized and commercialized, its DISGUSTING…

Just my $.25…

I dont know what clubs you go to now but no way do they compare. ClubUSA, Palladium/Arena, Limelight's disco 2000, futureshock, the building, Save the Robots, tunnel with Junior.

I have been in the scene a long time my friend and know it pretty well now and knew it pretty well back then. Talk to any DJ, promoter and clubgoer that was clubbing for the past 10 years and they will say its not even close. Tell me 3 hottest parties now, Exit Sat, Factory Sat, Twilo Fri and Sat, thats about it and they are not even all that. Just my 2 cents.

Dmitry

[This message has been edited by Dmitry (edited 10-28-2000).]

Bastardino I have on word for you paaaalease. One thing is that Big roxy was not old school and the second thing is if you would have ever gone to disco 2000 at the old limelight I know that you would never make such a dumb remark. Clubs now are alright but definetly not even close to late 80s early 90. whatever

THANK YOUUUUUUUUU PEOPLE ------- esp executress, yes yes yesss finally someone calling it like it is smile.gif)

And omg ABSOLUTELY about the one person in a stall rule REMEMBER AT TUNNEL 94-97 where you would see like FIVE sets of feet under the doors and hear the slight murmur of everyone doing their stuff, drugs were all overrrr the place but NEVER did you see passed out people od'ing or ridiculous crackheads, not that drug use was always "perfect" and yes, its always a risk, but people just did them better and were SMARTER, more mature about it and definitely more educated. If you were sick or looked "wrong" STRANGERS Would come help you, everyoneeee was friendly, chill, laid back, no stupid fights and retarted corupt security.And I could go on and on, but point made!

And to the guy who says it doesnt matter what someone wears, a crazy outfit or a suit - WHAT????? You want to be around a bunch of guys in suits? Then go to stuffy lounges. The scene we're talking about doesn't apply to those guys, now what people THINK is this hard club scene is dominated by cheesey carbon copy girls, yes guys in suits, dorky button downs and followers. THATS NOT DIVERSITY thats wrong people trying to follow whats "in". If you're going to go out at night in a suit you ARE NOT PART OF THIS SCENE simple as that -- same way I wouldn't walk into Cipriani or the 4 Seasons in a vinyl catsuit. How can you compare the scene now now (letting everyoneeeeeee in, 16yr olds, and songs like zombie nation) to the scene THEN(and i mean most places pre 1997ish) it has NOTHING to do with "us getting older" In fact many people from then dont even go OUT now its such a gross scene. If the scene got better I would be HAPPY ! If i was 16 now and never went out before, sure I would think its amazing now bc I wouldnt know any better, but I wouldnt dare say everyone else just "got old so thats why they think its bad now" Just because people now hadn't EXPERIENCED it before doesnt mean that people who have just "Changed and got older" that is INSANE. Its the times, technology, media etc....Ok I cant go through this again but just wanted to say thank you for your responses that were right on target!!!!! 99 percent of what I read here is ridiculous (so sad from what this board used to be in 1996, dmitry when we used to write long ass posts about tunnel and arena back and forth!)

smile.gif~~~~~~ see ya all at twilo !

MD

------------------

..."We come to love not by finding a perfect person...but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"...

MissDiva19@aol.com

I just can't stand the fact that we used to dance our hearts out. The people on the floor were feeding off each other and laghing out loud. Maybe because I was more into the rave scene but- It just seems now more people are all too worried about their image to really bust out dancing. And if you start to really move people just stand around and gauk at you and ... the only thing i can say is...SHUT UP AND DANCE!!!

one thing that i see now is that no one is smiling. everyone is out to have "fun", but no one is smiling. guys got their chests puffed outlooking like they want to start a fight. it looks as if they should breathe once in a while i think. also both guys and girls i see this supremist(sp?) attitude like"look at me" where i club. one more thing if u bump into someone, i'm talking about a pretty good knock not just a brush up, have the courtesy to turn back and say excuse me or i'm sorry. so many times i get knocked, if i turn around to see, they're looking at me as if i hit them. please just have some courtesy.

p.l.u.r.

------------------

ala