Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Djais closed!!!????

taken from NJG??!!!!!

D'Jais closed; Owner takes offense

Bar closing causes protest in Belmar community

Fiday, April 29, 2004

BY Haywood Jablome

Star-Ledger Staff

Frank D'Allagio said he's always supported Belmar Mayor Haire Balls. A few months ago, he even put Balls re-election signs in the windows of his bar on in Belmar.

But after Balls staged a news conference outside the D'Jais Bar yesterday, the tavern owner said he won't be supporting the mayor anymore.

D'Allagio was outraged that Balls, who also is an assemblyman, chose to shut down D'Jais indefinitely. According to Balls the shut down would help residents who complain D'Jais had become neighborhood nuisance.

"This is about quality of life for our residents," Balls railed, contending he's a just fighting for the people of Belmar. "The days of young people vomiting on lawns, having intercourse in bushes and urinating on cars are over."

As a result of the shut down D'Jais will be closed for 90 days starting Friday until an appeals board can hear the case sometime in mid July. According to D'Allagio he stands to lose over one million dollars in revenue that would be generated during the lucrative summer rental season.

"To not be able to open until mid July is an outrage. People get shore houses down in Belmar just to come to my establishment on Friday and Saturday nights, now what?" a perplexed D'Allagio asked.

The mayor charges though that bars like D'Jais "are not working to improve the quality of life."

At least a dozen D'Jais supporters attended yesterday's news conference, carrying signs protesting the closing and asking Balls to drop his case before the state Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

The mayor said the bar and a handful of others in the city "don't believe the law applies to them."

Ben Dover, who lives down the street from D'Jais, said "every weekend I don't get any sleep" because of the loud music coming from the D'Jais, customers screaming and fighting and some even urinating on the lawns of neighbors.

"I'm not saying you can't make a living -- but control your customers," said Dover who has lived in Belmar for 38 years.

Another neighbor, Phat Ho, said he was encouraged by the legislation being sponsored by the mayor but believes D'Jais should have the right to an appeal sooner than mid July.

"While me no satisfied with the noise and problems caused by a D'Jais, me know if this a happened to my restaurant (Fu King Chinese Food located two blocks from Paul's Tavern) I be a mighty pissed off," Ho stated angrily.

Last summer the Belmar City Council, acting as the local ABC board, issued a 100-day suspension against D'Jais license after finding that the bar violated local noise ordinances but D'Allagio was able to have the suspension lifted with some crafty legal manuevers.

D'Allagio said that the shut down for 90 days, he would have to close the business entirely. The owner said he would consent to a 40-day suspension, but the offer was rejected by the city. As a last ditch effort the owner has appealed to the State Supreme Court in the hopes that the bar can open officially on Memorial Day. In any event, this weekends annual Opening Party has been cancelled.

"I run a clean business. I have security at the door," said D'Allagio, who added he lives in the apartment by the bar.

--------------------

• 1 year later...
taken from NJG??!!!!!

D'Jais closed; Owner takes offense

Bar closing causes protest in Belmar community

Fiday, April 29, 2004

BY Haywood Jablome

Star-Ledger Staff

Frank D'Allagio said he's always supported Belmar Mayor Haire Balls. A few months ago, he even put Balls re-election signs in the windows of his bar on in Belmar.

But after Balls staged a news conference outside the D'Jais Bar yesterday, the tavern owner said he won't be supporting the mayor anymore.

D'Allagio was outraged that Balls, who also is an assemblyman, chose to shut down D'Jais indefinitely. According to Balls the shut down would help residents who complain D'Jais had become neighborhood nuisance.

"This is about quality of life for our residents," Balls railed, contending he's a just fighting for the people of Belmar. "The days of young people vomiting on lawns, having intercourse in bushes and urinating on cars are over."

As a result of the shut down D'Jais will be closed for 90 days starting Friday until an appeals board can hear the case sometime in mid July. According to D'Allagio he stands to lose over one million dollars in revenue that would be generated during the lucrative summer rental season.

"To not be able to open until mid July is an outrage. People get shore houses down in Belmar just to come to my establishment on Friday and Saturday nights, now what?" a perplexed D'Allagio asked.

The mayor charges though that bars like D'Jais "are not working to improve the quality of life."

At least a dozen D'Jais supporters attended yesterday's news conference, carrying signs protesting the closing and asking Balls to drop his case before the state Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control.

The mayor said the bar and a handful of others in the city "don't believe the law applies to them."

Ben Dover, who lives down the street from D'Jais, said "every weekend I don't get any sleep" because of the loud music coming from the D'Jais, customers screaming and fighting and some even urinating on the lawns of neighbors.

"I'm not saying you can't make a living -- but control your customers," said Dover who has lived in Belmar for 38 years.

Another neighbor, Phat Ho, said he was encouraged by the legislation being sponsored by the mayor but believes D'Jais should have the right to an appeal sooner than mid July.

"While me no satisfied with the noise and problems caused by a D'Jais, me know if this a happened to my restaurant (Fu King Chinese Food located two blocks from Paul's Tavern) I be a mighty pissed off," Ho stated angrily.

Last summer the Belmar City Council, acting as the local ABC board, issued a 100-day suspension against D'Jais license after finding that the bar violated local noise ordinances but D'Allagio was able to have the suspension lifted with some crafty legal manuevers.

D'Allagio said that the shut down for 90 days, he would have to close the business entirely. The owner said he would consent to a 40-day suspension, but the offer was rejected by the city. As a last ditch effort the owner has appealed to the State Supreme Court in the hopes that the bar can open officially on Memorial Day. In any event, this weekends annual Opening Party has been cancelled.

"I run a clean business. I have security at the door," said D'Allagio, who added he lives in the apartment by the bar.

--------------------

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA SYYYYYYYYYYYYKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

no one else caught this???? :laugh: :laugh:

This one is fishy too...

As a result of the shut down D'Jais will be closed for 90 days starting Friday until an appeals board can hear the case sometime in mid July.

Thats definitely alot less then 90 days. :beer:

Good story, maybe somebody from belmar will see it and realize how ridiculous they are.