Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Paul Van Dyk's "Time Of Our Lives" on HBO

cotoncandydream

Yes already got 4 phone calls. Tonight began the new HBO / Cinemax commercials for the summer. And yes they have chosen PVD's "Time of Our Lives" as the background music. One of the music supervisors had heard the song on the Rock the Vote PSA that was sent around and licensed it for the promos. Now if MTV would like to get off their asses and play the video it would be nice :aright:

timeofourl.jpg

Yes already got 4 phone calls. Tonight began the new HBO / Cinemax commercials for the summer. And yes they have chosen PVD's "Time of Our Lives" as the background music. One of the music supervisors had heard the song on the Rock the Vote PSA that was sent around and licensed it for the promos. Now if MTV would like to get off their asses and play the video it would be nice :aright:

timeofourl.jpg

Paul Van Dyke on MTV??? :laugh:

Why not they've used his music and Felix Da Housecats in 3 episodes of CRIBS and like every other ET on MTV. Wish the bastards would just play the videos as well. :mad:

Lots of electronic music is used in editing, the beats are good for cuttin' and they make amazing music beds...fact is, kids don't care much for it, therefore the videos don't get played...it works just like a radio station, radio stations have formats, so does MTV.

Face it, if you want to watch a PVD video, the last station you'd tune-in is MTV. Now...Britney Spears, Madonna, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Blink 182, Pink, 50 Cent, Eminem, etc...get airplay on MTV because of the way they're marketed...it's almost cartoony, if you will...all these artists/bands are pre-conceived characters, thought-off marketin' products...wardrobe, choreography and the attitude are all directed to kids, a very high percent of MTV viewers are kids...gotta keep the kids happy because they happen to be the strongest / most responsive audience there is.

It's not MTV's decision to play or not play Paul Van Dyke...guess what? I'd love to watch a Velvet Underground or a Sex Pistols video on MTV, I just know it's not going to happen...maybe A3TV would be your cup' o tea.

A block of electronic music would definitively be nice, I'm witcha on that :)

I wasn't asking WHY NOT for an explanation. I was saying WHY NOT...Why shouldn't they play more electronic music. I somewhat blame the labels for not soliciting hard enough. That and the politics involved, like major labels manipulating with payola. Really does suck though because people like PVD and Crystal Method are outselling Kylie Minogue and they keep playing that SLOW video. Oh well.

I wasn't asking WHY NOT for an explanation. I was saying WHY NOT...Why shouldn't they play more electronic music. I somewhat blame the labels for not soliciting hard enough. That and the politics involved, like major labels manipulating with payola. Really does suck though because people like PVD and Crystal Method are outselling Kylie Minogue and they keep playing that SLOW video. Oh well.

I didn't mean to patronize you, I just volunteered the info because I happen to work at MTV ;) and that's how it works.

Sales do not necesarily represent Airplay or have a direct relation for that matter...PVD and Crystal Method might be outselling Kylie Minogue (something I honestly doubt) but Kilye in the end is going to get more airplay on more mediums...just because it's POP!

Electronic Music is a very topical kind of product to sell and market, either you love or you hate it...most of the times there's no lyrics involved and that's also a throwback when it comes to programming...no hook, no lyrics, no airplay...MTV is not meant to be an authority in eclectic or artistic integrity...it's merely an entertainment / music channel for the masses...personally I'd love to see PVD on MTV but that is TBD.

peace yo! :)

It's all good. But a song like Time Our Lives is actually a full vocal that was produced by PVD and the UK Band Vega 4. The video has been played on A3tv, No Cover, DMTV, and a few other shows. Not to mention that Crystal Method has been played on all of those shows plus FUSE. Who was their sponsor for their album tour. And yes not only are they outselling Kylie Minogue's Singles but her album as well.

It's just so strange to me how people like the VP of MTV News will come hang out at ULTRA Fest and put some of our music in newsreels but no videos in rotation. Cest la vie. Soundscans are below

ELECTRONIC & DANCE ALBUM SALES

1 LATINO*VIC & WA|VOL. 5-ULTRA D 6884 10315

2 VA-FIRED UP!|FIRED UP! 5601 6290

3 POSTAL SERVICE|GIVE UP 5174 5144

4 A.B. QUINTANILL|VOL. 2-LOS REM 2962 2960

5 ZERO 7|WHEN IT FALLS 2761 3063

6 AIR|TALKIE WALKIE 2425 2788

7 PINK PANTHER'S |PINK PANTHER'S 2067 2216

8 CRYSTAL METHOD|LEGION OF BOOM 2020 2630

9 JUMP5|MIX IT UP 1834 1814

10 QUEER EYE FOR T|SOUNDTRACK 1803 1834

ELECTRONIC & DANCE SINGLES SALES

1 ANASTACIA|LEFT OUTSIDE ALONE 835 961

2 LOCKE*KIMBERLEY|8TH WORLD WOND 802 1031

3 MADONNA|LOVE PROFUSION 617 762

4 * TIESTO|LOVE COMES AGAIN 525 12

5 SPEARS*BRITNEY|ME AGAINST THE 499 475

6 POSTAL SERVICE|DISTRICT SLEEPS 279 261

7 KRAFTWERK|AERODYNAMIK 270 321

8 VAN DYK*PAUL|CRUSH 267 331

9 ROLLING STONES|SYMPATHY FOR TH 237 235

10 INGRID|YOU PROMISED ME 198 238

It's all good. But a song like Time Our Lives is actually a full vocal that was produced by PVD and the UK Band Vega 4. The video has been played on A3tv, No Cover, DMTV, and a few other shows. Not to mention that Crystal Method has been played on all of those shows plus FUSE. Who was their sponsor for their album tour. And yes not only are they outselling Kylie Minogue's Singles but her album as well.

It's just so strange to me how people like the VP of MTV News will come hang out at ULTRA Fest and put some of our music in newsreels but no videos in rotation. Cest la vie. Soundscans are below

ELECTRONIC & DANCE ALBUM SALES

1 LATINO*VIC & WA|VOL. 5-ULTRA D 6884 10315

2 VA-FIRED UP!|FIRED UP! 5601 6290

3 POSTAL SERVICE|GIVE UP 5174 5144

4 A.B. QUINTANILL|VOL. 2-LOS REM 2962 2960

5 ZERO 7|WHEN IT FALLS 2761 3063

6 AIR|TALKIE WALKIE 2425 2788

7 PINK PANTHER'S |PINK PANTHER'S 2067 2216

8 CRYSTAL METHOD|LEGION OF BOOM 2020 2630

9 JUMP5|MIX IT UP 1834 1814

10 QUEER EYE FOR T|SOUNDTRACK 1803 1834

ELECTRONIC & DANCE SINGLES SALES

1 ANASTACIA|LEFT OUTSIDE ALONE 835 961

2 LOCKE*KIMBERLEY|8TH WORLD WOND 802 1031

3 MADONNA|LOVE PROFUSION 617 762

4 * TIESTO|LOVE COMES AGAIN 525 12

5 SPEARS*BRITNEY|ME AGAINST THE 499 475

6 POSTAL SERVICE|DISTRICT SLEEPS 279 261

7 KRAFTWERK|AERODYNAMIK 270 321

8 VAN DYK*PAUL|CRUSH 267 331

9 ROLLING STONES|SYMPATHY FOR TH 237 235

10 INGRID|YOU PROMISED ME 198 238

Interesting! Again sales do not always go hand in hand with airplay...sometimes we have to manipulate product that's not necessarily our first choice when it comes to personal taste, that's what differenciates passion from objectivity...we as music lover are passionate and want to see our favourite artists and the music we loved hit it big and gain the acceptance of the masses, unfortunately kids are not the most educated listeners and they're being constantly fed with disposable art / music ad culture...but it's what sells now...who knows? Tendencies come and go, maybe a day not far from now we'll see electronic music hit the the top of the lists of radio station and tv channels all over the world, that is not today's case...Fatboy Slim is someone who knows how to target for MTV, Chemical Brothers also makes it on MTV...for some reason, I think PVD is kind of far fetched...I'm definitively going tgo check this out...it may be on rotation on 120 minutes or something and we are here debating about it.

Thanks for the info Cottoncandy, very interesting!

I've seen that in general. You'll see these high-powered radio and TV execs at dance music events, having a good time, talking business with the DJs and producers, and the most it gets is the track being used as "incidental" music.

Well, with the definition and methods of media distribution obviously changing, I really don't cry that PvD and other producers are not getting TV and radio exposure. In my mind they should be concentrating on their web presence/online music distribution methods anyways, and let the dinosaurs at Paramount and Sony go extinct in a proverbial tar pit of Jessica Simpson CDs, Chicken of the Sea tuna cans, and reruns of the Simple Life.

You'd be amazed at the kind of music that's played out loud at the offices of MTV...trust me, it's not Britney's Toxic. Executives do not regulate what gets played, programmers do...and they do it strictly in response to demand, this demand is surveyed thoroughly by many means, including rating systems similar to those used by any TV station...using those tools programmers ask themselves the following unavoidable question : what keeps the viewer tuned-in for the longest time? Cool...that's what they want, that's what we'll play.

i first really got into all this music when i saw darudes sandstorm video on muchmusic and ive been hooked ever since. the problem with kids today and with most of my friends who are in their late teen early 20s is they just wont give this kind of music a chance. all my friends that have love it, but some are just so stubborn and believe this kind of music all sounds the same and is only for people on drugs. i tell them in time everyone will be listening to it