Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Thursday night in Orlando....

philippio

Suffice it to say, it was one of my best nights out!!! First, we hit up Tabu because it was college night so it was $10 all you can drink. Music was awful but we were only there on a mission to drink as much as we could as fast as possible. I think Tabu may be Orlando's biggest club. Setup is similar to Crobar (except that the atrium ends about halfway and leads to stairs that connect first and second level. I think 8 Absolut + crans later, we proceeded to Sky 60. Anyone who thinks that Orlando's lounges can't match Miami's, needs to go there. It's on the rooftop of a 3 story building. One side is lined with cabanas and plush white sofas and then there's the bar across from those. The girl : guy ratio was good last night but what's gonna make me a dedicated patron was the music... Extremely reminiscent of Lust4House and Aquabooty, every thursday, the music is just pure soul!!! AMAZING!!! Bling, time for you to come up and visit. And the girls are so much friendlier than all the stuck-up girls that populate Miami's clubs. In the beginning not many people were dancing but a few of us went on to the dancefloor and then by 1am everyone was going off!!! I had a few more drinks (prices are a bit cheaper than in Miami) and it was a blast!!! Extremely friendly bar sevice, no Dixie cups, no cover and just badass house!!! I'm talking Marques Wyatt, Jay-J & Chris Lum's 'Stronger', I think I heard the Jimpster remix of Switch's 'Get Ya Dub On', loads of fresh sounds I hadn't heard before and the dj's were really laid - back and friendly (lots of people were there chatting with them). It was mostly tag-teaming but the music really flowed... I will keep an eye out for this place (Vaughan & Sheldon: could it be time to bring some of your talent up here too?). Currently it seems as though there are two main house promoting teams here... Kismet and Soul Patch (they bring talent such as ECB, DJ Heather, Hipp-E & Halo, Lisa Shaw, Marques Wyatt). These two guys last night were on their own though, alternating with a group of other dj's to ensure that we get our dose of quality house music EVERY damn thursday!!! The decor reminds me a bit of Privilege's patio. Orlando's house scene might still be small, but I can see that with dj's like Jason, Rick and the two guys last night, it definitely has the potential to blast off in the right direction (as far from the progressive bologna and big room tribal house bollocks as possible). After last night, I'm not so sure I regret leaving Miami... :D

wait a sec...you moved to Orlando?

that's where i'm from originally.

sorry to say, but Whorelando's time in the electronic scene was on the downhill by the late '98.... what you found is a good part of what is left. but too many alt-rock, coyote-ugly-style bars continue to dominate the orlando scene.

yes, you are correct in that Tabu plays some shitty music...but it's not orlando's largest club. Groove over at Citywalk is much larger (although, you'll find the music there is mostly crap as well).

ah well...at least the drinks are cheaper...and yeah, the girls are generally nicer... but i'll never live there again.

I miss HOME...

The great thing about our set back in Orlando, is that it kept house music more underground with extremely dedicated followers. This is an unparalleled vibe that cannot be found in any super club week after week, not to mention any given day of the week. Don't try to compare it to Miami, they are two entirely different cities with there own special personalities. I'm glad that you are enjoying it there Phil, make sure you get up with Jason, Rick and my home slice Ernie...they'll lead you to the spots:

Knock Knock

A.K.A. Lounge

SKY

Eli's Crib

Thee Grotto...Etc.

I'll be up there for Heather and ECB on the 10th.

Orlando will always be my home and I will definitely be back there after I make my millions in Miami :)

SS

P.S. You were probly litening to Ken Sherry and Lani Akea on percussion last night at SKY60