Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Iraqi chemical weapons found by Polish troops

igloo

OPERATION: IRAQI FREEDOM

Iraqi chemical weapons

found by Polish troops

Sec. Rumsfeld informed at NATO summit

of recent discovery of undeclared WMD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: July 1, 2004

5:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Polish troops in Iraq recently have discovered "16 or 17" warheads containing sarin or mustard gas, according to Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

Donald Rumsfeld

"Now these are weapons that we always knew Saddam Hussein had that he had not declared, and they have tested them, and I have not seen them, and I have not tested them, but they believe that they are correct that these, in fact, were undeclared chemical weapons ... ," Rumsfeld told radio talk host Roger Hedgecock in an interview transcribed and posted on the Department of Defense website.

Rumsfeld said he was told of the discovery of the "quite lethal" chemical weapons by the Polish minister of defense at the NATO summit in Turkey last weekend.

SPONSORED LINKS

Financial News Online

CFO delivers news and alerts on tax, accounting, corporate finance, the SEC, and more. Read news stories online or subscribe to the magazine.

www.cfo.com

Subscribe to The New York Times

The New York Times offers you 50% off home delivery subscriptions. Begin by entering your zip code to see if The New York Times can deliver to your area.

homedelivery.nytimes.com

The troops had made the find "within the last period of days" before the summit, he said.

Arguing for the difficulty of finding WMD in a country the size of California, Rumsfeld pointed out the hole where ousted dictator Saddam Hussein was captured "was probably big enough to hold chemical and biological weapons sufficient to kill tens of thousands of people."

Rumsfeld also mentioned the U.S. had found jet aircraft Hussein's regime had buried in sand.

Hedgecock asked Rumsfeld to comment on published reports that Syria is hiding Iraq's WMD.

The defense secretary acknowledged "there have been a lot of intelligence speculation and rumors and chatter about the fact that Saddam Hussein may have placed some of his weapons of mass destruction in Syria prior to the start of the war."

But he said, "Until that can be validated and proved, you’ll find people in the administration not talking about it."

Chemical munitions found by Polish soldiers were being pursued by terrorists

MONIKA SCISLOWSKA, Associated Press Writer

Friday, July 2, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(07-02) 07:18 PDT WARSAW, Poland (AP) --

Terrorists may have been close to obtaining munitions containing the deadly nerve agent cyclosarin that Polish soldiers recovered last month in Iraq, the head of Poland's military intelligence said Friday.

Polish troops had been searching for munitions as part of their regular mission in south-central Iraq when they were told by an informant in May that terrorists had made a bid to buy the chemical weapons, which date back to Saddam Hussein's war with Iran in the 1980s, Gen. Marek Dukaczewski told reporters in Warsaw.

"We were mortified by the information that terrorists were looking for these warheads and offered $5,000 apiece," Dukaczewski said. "An attack with such weapons would be hard to imagine. All of our activity was accelerated at appropriating these warheads."

Dukaczewski refused to give any further details about the terrorists or the sellers of the munitions, saying only that his troops thwarted terrorists by purchasing the 17 rockets for a Soviet-era launcher and two mortar rounds containing the nerve agent for an undisclosed sum June 23.

In May, a booby-trapped artillery shell apparently filled with the sarin nerve agent exploded alongside a Baghdad road but caused no serious injuries to the U.S. forces who discovered it. At the time, officials stopped short of claiming the munition was definite evidence of a large weapons stockpile in prewar Iraq or evidence of recent production by Saddam's regime.

The warheads all contained cyclosarin, multinational force commander Polish Gen. Mieczyslaw Bieniek said.

"Laboratory tests showed the presence in them of cyclosarin, a very toxic gas, five times stronger than sarin and five times more durable," Bieniek told Poland's TVN24 at the force's Camp Babylon headquarters.

"If these warheads, which were still usable, were used on a military base like Camp Babylon, they would have caused unforeseeable damage."

The tests were done by U.S. experts, who were conducting more.

The munitions were found in a bunker in the Polish sector, but Polish officials refused to be more specific.

i have mentioned this before and about some weapon inspectors concern about the insurgents finding these weapons and using them...what i usually get is: "wow 16 war heads...hardly the stockpiles the US was saying before the war" Bla Bla Bla...

i have mentioned this before and about some weapon inspectors concern about the insurgents finding these weapons and using them...what i usually get is: "wow 16 war heads...hardly the stockpiles the US was saying before the war" Bla Bla Bla...

A Russian General was just quoted in the press expressing his concern that Al Qaeda is going to get their hands on Iraqi WMD.........on Iraqi WMD.. For that to happen, wouldn't that mean there was WMD?..

I thought only Bush "lied" about Iraq having WMD.....you mean the Russians thought so too?

Last week, US Central Command confirmed they found about a dozen more chemical wepaons shells that were......media did not think it was a big deal

Media and antiwar people forget too that it was incumbent on Iraq to report on all WMD......including shells that now seem to be found in greater frequency in small stockpiles...interesting that they "lost track" of these WMD....I wonder if the Iraqi's "lost track" of the MiGS that they buried in the desert too...

Just a thought....If Iraq did have WMD they were hiding, do you think they would have collected all the stockpiles and put them is a gift-wrapped Presidential Palace waiting for the U.S. military and the press?

I wonder if the neighborhood drug dealer would keep his stash in his apartment if he had a full year advance notice that the police were coming.....

I know, I know....Bush lied (and only Bush, not Saddam Hussein, or the UN and other foreign intelligence services who thought Iraq had WMD)......just Bush alone "lied"

I know, I know...there were no WMD....the known stockpiles that were confirmed to be in existence in 1998 after the inspectors were kicked out were simply "destroyed" by Saddam and his band of merry men because they suddenly became good people, and we need to simply throw out their history and legacy...

I know, I know...We shouldn't be concerned that there is no proof that these weapons were destroyed, even though Iraqi record keeping is legendary..

Nothing but Bush lies

A Russian General was just quoted in the press expressing his concern that Al Qaeda is going to get their hands on Iraqi WMD.........on Iraqi WMD.. For that to happen, wouldn't that mean there was WMD?..

I thought only Bush "lied" about Iraq having WMD.....you mean the Russians thought so too?

Last week, US Central Command confirmed they found about a dozen more chemical wepaons shells that were......media did not think it was a big deal

Media and antiwar people forget too that it was incumbent on Iraq to report on all WMD......including shells that now seem to be found in greater frequency in small stockpiles...interesting that they "lost track" of these WMD....I wonder if the Iraqi's "lost track" of the MiGS that they buried in the desert too...

Just a thought....If Iraq did have WMD they were hiding, do you think they would have collected all the stockpiles and put them is a gift-wrapped Presidential Palace waiting for the U.S. military and the press?

I wonder if the neighborhood drug dealer would keep his stash in his apartment if he had a full year advance notice that the police were coming.....

I know, I know....Bush lied (and only Bush, not Saddam Hussein, or the UN and other foreign intelligence services who thought Iraq had WMD)......just Bush alone "lied"

I know, I know...there were no WMD....the known stockpiles that were confirmed to be in existence in 1998 after the inspectors were kicked out were simply "destroyed" by Saddam and his band of merry men because they suddenly became good people, and we need to simply throw out their history and legacy...

I know, I know...We shouldn't be concerned that there is no proof that these weapons were destroyed, even though Iraqi record keeping is legendary..

Nothing but Bush lies

pretty much my response to those people too...oh well...it boils down to ur either for or against it...nothing can sway either side...

apparently not...

Blair: WMD may never be found

Tuesday, July 6, 2004 Posted: 7:55 PM EDT (2355 GMT)

(CNN) -- British Prime Minister Tony Blair has said that weapons of mass destruction may never be found in Iraq, but he insisted former leader Saddam Hussein had posed a threat to "the wider world."

"We know that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, and we know that we haven't found them," Blair told a committee of British lawmakers Tuesday.

"I have to accept we have not found them, that we may not find them.

"But what I wouldn't accept is that [saddam] was not a threat and a threat in WMD terms."

Blair and President Bush used Iraq's alleged weapons program as a main reason for invading the country.

So far the Iraq Survey Group, which is in charge of the hunt for illicit weapons, has yet to turn up any stockpiles.

The British leader said evidence uncovered by the group showed that Saddam had the "strategic capability" and intent to use such weapons.

"Whether they were hidden or removed or destroyed even, the plain fact is that he was in breach of United Nations resolutions," Blair said.

Before the war, Blair stated that Iraq was a "serious and current" threat and that it had continued to produce chemical and biological weapons.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/07/06/blair.wmd/index.html