Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Speaking Spanish...

no i think it's fine to speak your language.. but you're in fuckin america... they don't cater to any other large minority populations.. i mean what the hell, when i go to miami, everyone just automatically starts speaking spanish to me, then look at me weird when i don't understand..

i have nooooo problems with speaking another language... but when you're in this country, you need to learn english...

although i do hate when you can tell ppl speak english fine, and then just start speaking another language to talk shit about someone...

i also agree w/ funksoul.....if you're in america u need to learn english, i also hate when people start talking another language in front of me...........it seems like they're talkin about me, which they probably are anyways! :gang:

i also agree w/ funksoul.....if you're in america u need to learn english, i also hate when people start talking another language in front of me...........it seems like they're talkin about me, which they probably are anyways! :gang:

this happened to me b4 in Paris

Most french people are ok. It's the Parisians that are completely snobby

so one time i could tell they were talking about me, and i responded in french to them, and their look was priceless :laugh:

This reminds me of the seinfeld episode where Elaine gets George's father to translate what those laundry women were saying, and then he meets his long lost love :laugh:

it also has to do alot with being proud of where your from......this whole country was built on freedom of speach and being a meltingpot for all the worlds cultures. this is why the country is so great! :)

i can understand that, but in the same vein it also seems inapprorpiate

I don't know if you saw the home run derby last night, but it was pretty weird.

It was down to Tejada and Berkman, and it seemed as if all the spanish guys on the American league were backing Tejada, while Berkman was just sitting there with his wife :laugh:

Now, i can understand bonding with guys who speak your language or come from where u come from. But then, after he won, he took the Dominican flag and wrapped it around him and kept it with him.

Should he wrap the American flag around him? This issue gets very hairy :confused:

:laugh2:cafe con leche

I like calling us "coffee staind' people.
it also has to do alot with being proud of where your from......this whole country was built on freedom of speach and being a meltingpot for all the worlds cultures. this is why the country is so great! :)

:clap2:

...i've said this before and i'll say it again...i think it's ok here and there to throw a few words around but to maintain a lengthy conversation in public - whether in text or in spoken word - should be considered rude...my dad forced us to learn greek but then only allowed us to speak it at home...it's just a matter of consideration and etiquette (sp)...and trust me, many young people can not speak proper english because they use spanglish on a daily basis and can get away with it...that may seem ok in the real world, but in a work environment it can be a disability...imo

...i've said this before and i'll say it again...i think it's ok here and there to throw a few words around but to maintain a lengthy conversation in public - whether in text or in spoken word - should be considered rude...my dad forced us to learn greek but then only allowed us to speak it at home...it's just a matter of consideration and etiquette (sp)...and trust me, many young people can not speak proper english because they use spanglish on a daily basis and can get away with it...that may seem ok in the real world, but in a work environment it can be a disability...imo

agreed 100%... my mom speaks to me in spanish at home. When my friends are around or we're out in public my mom speaks in english. Same with my family. However, I always speak back to my mom in English. When I'm in Puerto Rico I have to speak in Spanish or they wont talk to me. I hate it cause I dont have an accent and I think I sound like an idiot. I also get lost for words here and there cause I dont use them everyday here.

When I'm in Puerto Rico I have to speak in Spanish or they wont talk to me. I hate it cause I dont have an accent and I think I sound like an idiot. I also get lost for words here and there cause I dont use them everyday here.

see, this is what bothers me. in our country, and in our culture, were expected to be very tolerable of other cultures and respect how they live, but if an american went to another country and expected the same respect, were like self centered ass holes who think america is the best and only country.

America IS the only and bestest country!

Lol

....that's not necessarily true...many foreigners appreciate americans that try to speak their language, learn their culture, etc....but the general problem that youre talking about correlates to years and years of poor US foreign policy...but let's not start that convo right now...