Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Thoughts on This??

iamme

HIV diagnosis wrong after 8 years

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- A California man who once tested positive for the virus that causes AIDS has learned the diagnosis made eight years ago was mistaken and he was never infected.

Jim Malone spent years battling depression and losing weight, expecting to die at any time. He attended support group meetings and accepted free meals from an AIDS charity.

Malone's main physician, Dr. Richard Karp, acknowledged the error in an August 4 letter to the Department of Veterans Affairs clinic where Malone was treated. "As his primary care provider, I take full responsibility," the doctor wrote.

Malone, who is gay and has lost friends to AIDS, said he is relieved but angry at his doctor.

"He told me, 'We made a very big mistake. We did not do our job,"' he said. "I said, 'You mean to tell me that all you have to say is you are sorry? Sorry that I lived for all this time believing I was going to die?"'

The Oakland Department of Veterans Affairs is investigating.

The error may have occurred because Malone arrived at the clinic in 1996 with lab results from a testing firm showing he had HIV, said Karen Pridmore, spokeswoman for the VA's Northern California Health Care System.

The clinic performed its own HIV test on Malone to confirm the first set of results and it came back negative, but that information was never shared with the patient, Pridmore said.

The mistake was uncovered by the VA's computer system, which tracks HIV patients and conducts a periodic review of cases.

THOUGHTS???

wow thats fucked up...

I feel so bad for that guy.. I can only imagine the mental anguish he went through for eight years - only to find out now that he's healthy.

Did they have him on meds? If so, he could be in bad shape.. those meds are very powerful and they could have broken down his kidney/liver function.

thats pretty messed up...thinking each day when you go to bed thinking you may never wake up....for eight years.....definitely gonna cause a snap.

how can you test a patient and not share the results with him? especially if they contradict the first set of results? aren't they supposed to try a 2-out-of-3?

HIV diagnosis wrong after 8 years

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- A California man who once tested positive for the virus that causes AIDS has learned the diagnosis made eight years ago was mistaken and he was never infected.

Jim Malone spent years battling depression and losing weight, expecting to die at any time. He attended support group meetings and accepted free meals from an AIDS charity.

Malone's main physician, Dr. Richard Karp, acknowledged the error in an August 4 letter to the Department of Veterans Affairs clinic where Malone was treated. "As his primary care provider, I take full responsibility," the doctor wrote.

Malone, who is gay and has lost friends to AIDS, said he is relieved but angry at his doctor.

"He told me, 'We made a very big mistake. We did not do our job,"' he said. "I said, 'You mean to tell me that all you have to say is you are sorry? Sorry that I lived for all this time believing I was going to die?"'

The Oakland Department of Veterans Affairs is investigating.

The error may have occurred because Malone arrived at the clinic in 1996 with lab results from a testing firm showing he had HIV, said Karen Pridmore, spokeswoman for the VA's Northern California Health Care System.

The clinic performed its own HIV test on Malone to confirm the first set of results and it came back negative, but that information was never shared with the patient, Pridmore said.

The mistake was uncovered by the VA's computer system, which tracks HIV patients and conducts a periodic review of cases.

THOUGHTS???

my newspaper quote would be "big up to technology for being so advance in spotting and diagnosing me with a disease i didnt have but now contracted since i joined a club of ppl that have sex with each other because they cant have sex with anyone else because of aids... thank you dr.scholl, dr. louie rocko, dr. pepper, and dr.strangelove you pieces of dog shit..." and then youd see a myriad of photos of me on page 3,4,5 being arrested for kicking the shit out of my doctors and my lawyer for not suing this quack years ago...

isn't it usually customary for one to get a second test upon receiving word of a "positive" result?

Well not everyone does.. if you take a Western Blot, its 99.9% accurate... so a lot of times its rather meaningless to take a 2nd test.

The thing that sucks is he DID take the 2nd test and his quack doc failed to share the results..