Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Sports cars question

Ok, for everyone who has/had sports cars.. What do you do in the winter to make it less dangerous to drive? The first thing ppl told me when I bought my car was "be careful in the winter". I already got into a few scary situations when it was raining so I know how bad it's gonna be in the winter. Even if it's a little slippery, when I press the gas pedal a bit too hard, tires start to spin and the back starts to spin. The car is very light and the engine is very powerful.. Ppl told me to put a 500lbs bag of cement or sand in the trunk to prevent fishtailing. It seems like a good idea but I wanna know what else ppl do to avoid dangerous situations.. Thanks smile.gif

Originally posted by mysteriousss:

Ok, for everyone who has/had sports cars.. What do you do in the winter to make it less dangerous to drive? The first thing ppl told me when I bought my car was "be careful in the winter". I already got into a few scary situations when it was raining so I know how bad it's gonna be in the winter. Even if it's a little slippery, when I press the gas pedal a bit too hard, tires start to spin and the back starts to spin. The car is very light and the engine is very powerful.. Ppl told me to put a 500lbs bag of cement or sand in the trunk to prevent fishtailing. It seems like a good idea but I wanna know what else ppl do to avoid dangerous situations.. Thanks smile.gif

What kind of whip do you drive?

------------------

Neo: You ever have that feeling where you're not sure if you're awake or still dreaming?

Choi: All the time. It's called mescaline, it's the only way to fly.

x4xshot.gif

-Ricfutures

What are Blizzaks?

Blizzaks are probably the world's best snow tires on the market. Had a race-modified 'stang convertible I used to run all winter on Blizzaks without ever having a problem. Just take 'em off when it starts to warm up, as they are a soft tire and will wear quickly when the weather doesn't warrant them.

------------------

New and improved --- Coming to you now from NYC!

[This message has been edited by ichi_gami (edited 11-10-2000).]

In some senses...you are in a good spot.

Rear wheel drive is much better in rain and snow then front wheel drive, despite popular opinion and that dumb DMV book. When you lose control and start sliding ith a RWD car, you know where your car is going, and can counteract the movements with the steering wheel since thpose wheels arent teh drive wheels also. Braking is also more efficient because in a front wheel drive car, Brakes have more priority over steering, especially the ABS system, which will engage in snow and rain, making it harder to steer.

Another thing, Im assuming you have a manual with this car?? Stick it in 2nd to start with in really bad snow.

Get some 16" Rims with snow tires mounted on them..chains are illegal in the tri-state area, aside from upstate NY.

For the weight, look at some websites about the mustang GT, find out the weight distribution, I can do it for you if you send me a msg, then do the math to find out how much you have to put in the trunk to make the distributuion 50/50...hope this helped you out...

VJ

------------------

THE BEAT IS IN MY HEAD

AIM:Turbo SC300

Originally posted by ichi_gami:

Blizzaks are probably the world's best snow tires on the market. Had a race-modified 'stang convertible I used to run all winter on Blizzaks without ever having a problem. Just take 'em off when it starts to warm up, as they are a soft tire and will wear quickly when the weather doesn't warrant them.

Really That'd be awesome. Where do I get them? Thanks smile.gif

vj thanx for the info.. Interesting because everyone says that RWD is bad. And no, I don't have manual smile.gif I'm a girl so I'm allowed to have auto LOL.. All my guy friends bust on me about it all the time smile.gif What about those blizzaks that someone suggested above? It sounds like something I could use but what do you know about them? Thanks a lot. I really appreciate all the help guys..

Zoya.

Depends on what conditions you are in...for extreme ones wrap chain link (or equivalent) around rear tires...otherwise most people I know put their sports cars away for winter anyway...don't wanna fuck up exterior & chassis (salt, ice, etc)...

------------------

What da.....

Whip? LOL.. Never heard that term. I assume that you're asking what kind of car I drive smile.gif Stang GT.. the worst in the winter..

Yeah rear wheel drives are tough in the winter. If it's a stick then ease up off the clutch during take off. And in turns, don't gun it or you might fish tail of spin out. The tires on that car are fine so I wouldn't invest in anything. I mean if it's bad out, are you really going to go anywhere unless it's an emergency? Just take it easy on bad days.

------------------

Neo: You ever have that feeling where you're not sure if you're awake or still dreaming?

Choi: All the time. It's called mescaline, it's the only way to fly.

x4xshot.gif

-Ricfutures

it's a typical problem with a real wheel drive car, that's also light in the ass-end. get yourself a set of studded snow tires, and put SOME weight in the back, 500 lbs is far too much. somewhere around 200 should be sufficient.

stephen

------------------

Be YourMom...

Unfortunately, Stang+Snow=Suicide. The best thing you can do is get a cheap winter car. Otherwise, you do have a few alternative options for increasing your chances of survival:

1)Get winter tires that are narrower

2)Put weight in the trunk (ultimately bad for your suspension)

3)Get chains for really bad storms

4) Spend about 1k on a traction control system (i.e. http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.htm)

------------------

translucent_binary.gif

Thanks guys.. I heard studded snow tires are illegal.. Or am I thinking of something else? LOL.. Old lady in the trunk hahahahahaha!

petp - i'm not stupid.. i still wanna live a little.. you don't have to go 90 or even 60 or even 40 to get into trouble. mine goes nuts on me when i start moving from standing still if it's too wet or slippery. I think I'll just walk in the winter LOL.. I'll invest in fur coats, gloves and hats now smile.gif

Originally posted by translucent:

Unfortunately, Stang+Snow=Suicide. The best thing you can do is get a cheap winter car. Otherwise, you do have a few alternative options for increasing your chances of survival:

1)Get winter tires that are narrower

2)Put weight in the trunk (ultimately bad for your suspension)

3)Get chains for really bad storms

4) Spend about 1k on a traction control system (i.e. <A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.htm)" TARGET=_blank&gt;http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.htm)</A>

Yeah I know.. My ex had a crazy pumped up stang and he got really fucked in an accident in upstate.. after that he got a 2nd car for the winter. My car already has traction control. I can feel it kicking in when it starts to slide but I doubt it will be enough.. Oh boy..

Originally posted by Unbound:

try this..i know it the most difficult thing to do when you have a Mustang but

Drive slower

Tishe iEDESH DAL'SHE BUDESH ....lol... cwm12.gif

Haha!! Ya i tak edy normalno. I really don't speed in the city. Only outside on highways and stuff where it's safe. I ain't crazy to be driving around Bklyn at 100mph. One of my guy friends always busts on me about it too. He's like.. You know in your car's manual it says that you're only allowed to drive in the left lane.. LOL smile.gif

Originally posted by Unbound:

try this..i know it the most difficult thing to do when you have a Mustang but

Drive slower

Tishe iEDESH DAL'SHE BUDESH ....lol... cwm12.gif

Better yet...turn engine off...open car door...use foot to power car....guaranteed no accident there...ON TOP OF THAT...saves on gas $$$...HOWEVER...your left thigh will become bigger than your right thigh...

------------------

What da.....