Clubplanet Nightlife Community

pomodoro...

dgmodel

1 large onion (White onion is better)

3 cloves garlic

1 carrot

1 stalk celery

2 cans peeled San Marzano tomato (Check the can alot of brands are imported from italy but not from san marzano) or about 2 dozen fresh ripe good quality plum tomato (NJ harvest is right now)

1 cup white wine

about 10 large fresh basil leaves

1 tablespoon salt

dash of red pepper flakes (Very Little)

dash of black pepper

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Very simply... give everything a rough chop... except the tomotoes (Just cut the stems). Saute the veggies in the oil untill the onion sweats (Becomes clear) add tomatoes and let them saute... When the temperature comes back up add the wine (If You use fresh tomato double the amount of wine) add salt and pepper cover the pot and let it simmer untill everything is "mushy" (About and hour and a half) ..... you may have to add water as it simmers so it doesnt burn or stick....Once it's cooked here's they key ... let everything cool to room temperature. Once it's cool pass everything through a sieve (absolutely essential to make real italian sauce). Reduce the sauce on a low flame uncovered if needed. Taste it and adjust salt/pepper if necessary. Add chopped basil right before serving... This is the traditional way of making pomodoro sauce. The sieve is important because it strain all the seeds from the sauce ... The Tomatoes are most important... dont ever use crushed, puree or peeled tomotoes packed in puree... look from imported San Marzano Tomatoes packed in natural juices... (Hard to find in alot of supermarkets)

You can use this sauce as a base for a ton of stuff too.....

Marinara Sauce

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large yellow onion diced

2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar (the thick kind)

3 large cans of san marzano tomatoes (i like them too!)

1 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes

10 roasted garlic gloves

1 can tomato paste

3 tablespoons fresh italian parsley chopped

3 tablespoons fresh basil chopped

salt and pepper to taste

in a large sauce pan, add olive oil. when it's hot add onion and cook until soft. add balsamic vinegar and roasted garlic cloves. stir for about 2 minutes.

add tomatoes and paste, stir at med. heat until it bubbles for a few minutes. watch out for the splashing. reduce the heat and let it simmer until it is thick in consistency (30-45 min.), at this point add salt and pepper to taste.

before serving add the herbs and stir.

if you like you can also add a cup of romano cheese to the sauce.

add a tablespoon of honey if its bitter or sour, but this shouldn't be necessary because san marzano tomatoes are sweet.

:)

thanks, that recipe sounds awesome~! im going to try it out this weekend...

let me ask you, if and when you make meatballs do you do them 100% all beef, or do you add veal or pork or etc~!? i always made them with just all meat, but now im experimenting a lil trying new things... looking for suggestions, i heard some good ideas from ppl on here in the paste, just wanted to see what your thoughts were on it...

Meatballs

1/2 cup olive oil

1 yellow onion minced

3 cloves of minced garlic

1/4 pound each of ground pork, veal, & beef (not too lean)

1 egg white & 2 yolks

1/4 cup each of parmesan & romano cheese

1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs

1 teaspoon fresh oregano, thyme, and rosemary finely chopped (no stems)

2 tablespoons fresh italian parsley finely chopped

salt and pepper to taste

heat a few teaspoons of the olive oil in a frying pan. add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft.

add all of the meat to a large bowl. along w/ the cooked onions and garlic, beaten egg white & yolks, cheese, and bread crumbs. then mix it a little with your hands to combine. add salt and pepper and herbs mix lightly again with your hands.

let the mix sit for a few minutes. then with your hands roll the meat into balls. let them sit again for a few minutes.

add about half your oil to a large frying pan and set the temperature for medium. when the pan is hot, add the meatballs to the pan and brown all over. add more oil as needed. once the meatballs are brown put them in a pot of already cooking marinara sauce and let simmer. they will take about 10-20 minutes to cook through in the sauce.

if the mixture is too dry, you can always add a little milk. if it's too wet add more bread crumbs. :)

Meatballs

1/2 cup olive oil

1 yellow onion minced

3 cloves of minced garlic

1/4 pound each of ground pork, veal, & beef (not too lean)

1 egg white & 2 yolks

1/4 cup each of parmesan & romano cheese

1/3 cup fresh bread crumbs

1 teaspoon fresh oregano, thyme, and rosemary finely chopped (no stems)

2 tablespoons fresh italian parsley finely chopped

salt and pepper to taste

heat a few teaspoons of the olive oil in a frying pan. add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft.

add all of the meat to a large bowl. along w/ the cooked onions and garlic, beaten egg white & yolks, cheese, and bread crumbs. then mix it a little with your hands to combine. add salt and pepper and herbs mix lightly again with your hands.

let the mix sit for a few minutes. then with your hands roll the meat into balls. let them sit again for a few minutes.

add about half your oil to a large frying pan and set the temperature for medium. when the pan is hot, add the meatballs to the pan and brown all over. add more oil as needed. once the meatballs are brown put them in a pot of already cooking marinara sauce and let simmer. they will take about 10-20 minutes to cook through in the sauce.

if the mixture is too dry, you can always add a little milk. if it's too wet add more bread crumbs. :)

thats similar to how i make them currently just minus veal and only 25% pork 75% ground beef... ive heard of some real deal italian mofos making it with actual italian bread that has been soaked in milk rather than breadcrumbs, and buffalla motzeralla cubed and inserted into the meatball... wild shit i tell yah...

i am weird....

seriously though, i travel quite a bit and it's easier to just have a vague location versus leaving it blank. the jewel box really is my favorite cluster of stars though and i can't wait to be in the southern hemisphere to actually see them. :)

yeah from what i hear thats one of the must sees in life, along with aurora borealis...

thats similar to how i make them currently just minus veal and only 25% pork 75% ground beef... ive heard of some real deal italian mofos making it with actual italian bread that has been soaked in milk rather than breadcrumbs, and buffalla motzeralla cubed and inserted into the meatball... wild shit i tell yah....

the lady i got the recipe from actually adds red wine, lamb shanks, and a sausage called soprasetta (sp?) to her marinara sauce. it makes the meatballs and sauce taste unbelievably good.

i hope you like the sauce and meatballs, please post if everything turned out okay.

I've seen some good recipes posted here but they're not the "traditional" recipes.... Marinara sauce is traditionally nothing more than garlic sauteed in olive oil with peeled plum tomotoes crushed by hand a shot of salt and pepper finished with basil and or oregano.. cooked no longer than 15 minutes.

a good tip for meatballs.... dont use breadcrumbs.... makes them to hard...

use day old semolina bread cubed and soaked in milk and run the mixture through a potato ricer.. The rest of the recipe is just about exactly how i make em.... except i broil the meatballs instead of frying them (Not as messy doesnt add oil to the sauce). Also a reason why italians make two kind of sauce, pomodoro sauce is intended to be served with meats... wheres marinara (roughly translated is fisherman's sauce) is intended to be served with seafood. Alot of what we eat here is really Italian-American food. The best way to explain it is you'd never get chicken parm, veal parm, or any kind of parm in italy.... You'd never see baked clams because the type of clams that you get there are timy (vuongole)... theres a whole list ... vodka sauce.. baked ziti... stuffed shells... Even pizza is very different... untill a few years back you couldnt find an "American Style" pizza in italy....Much of what is sold as italian food is really american food.... Were alot like the chinese... try getting an egg roll in china.... I can talk for days about food.....

I've seen some good recipes posted here but they're not the "traditional" recipes.... Marinara sauce is traditionally nothing more than garlic sauteed in olive oil with peeled plum tomotoes crushed by hand a shot of salt and pepper finished with basil and or oregano.. cooked no longer than 15 minutes.

thats what i did last night, just with vine tomatos... since saturday ive been eating pounds and buckets of sauce...

a good tip for meatballs.... dont use breadcrumbs.... makes them to hard...

use day old semolina bread cubed and soaked in milk and run the mixture through a potato ricer.. The rest of the recipe is just about exactly how i make em.... except i broil the meatballs instead of frying them (Not as messy doesnt add oil to the sauce). Also a reason why italians make two kind of sauce, pomodoro sauce is intended to be served with meats... wheres marinara (roughly translated is fisherman's sauce) is intended to be served with seafood. Alot of what we eat here is really Italian-American food. The best way to explain it is you'd never get chicken parm, veal parm, or any kind of parm in italy.... You'd never see baked clams because the type of clams that you get there are timy (vuongole)... theres a whole list ... vodka sauce.. baked ziti... stuffed shells... Even pizza is very different... untill a few years back you couldnt find an "American Style" pizza in italy....Much of what is sold as italian food is really american food.... Were alot like the chinese... try getting an egg roll in china.... I can talk for days about food.....

youre absolutely right... its all americanized horseshit... but fuck it when in rome do like the romans and when in america...

• 1 month later...

i dont know if any of you guys tried this but i put some sugar in my sauce that i made yesterday, and today it tastes awesome... and shredded fresh buffalla motzarella and mixed it into the sauce schweet~! try it out next time see if you like it...

i dont know if any of you guys tried this but i put some sugar in my sauce that i made yesterday, and today it tastes awesome... and shredded fresh buffalla motzarella and mixed it into the sauce schweet~! try it out next time see if you like it...