Clubplanet Nightlife Community

U2 Vertigo (first listen)

funketeer

I disagree. Those strong guitar riffs are signature The Edge. I love the distorted sound of the song - very raw, rough. Its going to make a great live song. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the album! :bounce:

You've said it...the riffs are there...but The Edge can play a million of those...now...the song Vertigo is no "One"..."New Year's Day"..."Until The End of the World"....

Hum...I like the sound...the song? It's kinda shapeless...really... :)

I am a tooootal U2 Fan, and the first time I heard this I was just ...eh....about it...looooved the guitar riffs, but the rest I was just....eh

Now I've listened to it about 5 times...and I must say...I like it! It's stuck in my head.

I can't wait for the album to come out.....we all know what that means....ANOTHER TOUR!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!! :bounce::rock::clap:

wow...talk about having your expectations lowered. :yuck:

I had the honor to attend a first-listen party for "All That You Can Leave Behind" back in 2002 (before it hit the stores) and I was hit by every chord, every lyric and every lick and solo... although Vertigo has not hit me that way... I'm waiting for the album like a kid waits for chocolate cake... listening to the album as a whole will probably result on me liking Vertigo... for now, the song and I are only flirting... it hasn't registered yet... click-click-click-sheekee-sheeka-- sheekee-sheeka... (that's all I remember from it)

U2 Rocks!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Ok, ok, ok...shiftty mofo that I am...went back and listened to it a day later... forget everything I said before, I now like it... as a single it rocks...still no "Sunday Bloody Sunday" but a good joint nevertheless... sounds a bit like STP (the drive)

Yo... check out the lyrics (I dug'em out for you)

"Vertigo"

Unos, dos, tres, quatorze

Turn it up loud, captain

Lights go down

It's dark, the jungle is

Your head can't rule your heart

A feeling so much stronger

Than a thought

Your eyes are wide

And though your soul

It can't be bought

Your mind can wander

Hello, hello

Hola

I'm at a place called Vertigo

Dond' esta

It's everything I wish I didn't know

Except you give me something I can feel

Feel

The night is full of holes

These bullets rip the sky

Of ink with gold

They twinkle

As the boys play rock and roll

They know that they can't dance

At least they know

I can't stand the beats

I'm asking for the check

Girl with crimson nails

Has Jesus 'round her neck

Swinging to the music

Swinging to the music

Hello, hello

Hola

I'm at a place called Vertigo

Dond' esta

It's everything I wish I didn't know

But you give me something I can feel

Feel

Shot dead

Shots fall

Show me, yeah

All of this, all of this can be yours

Just give me what I want

And no one gets hurt

Hello, hello

Hola

We’re at a place called Vertigo

Dond' esta

Lights go down and all I know

Is that you give me something

I can feel your love teaching me how

Your love is teaching me how

How to kneel

Kneel

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

‘We’ve Waited 25 Years To Make This Record’

‘It’s Such a Personal Record, It May Just Be Our Best,’ claims Bono in the new edition of Q Magazine.

In a lengthy interview covering ten pages of the November edition of the UK music glossy, the band muse on each track of the forthcoming release of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

Adam, for example, points out that the first single Vertigo offers some intriguing musical references to the earliest U2.

‘The bass and drums have a little bit of Echo & The Bunnymen in there – a nice wink to where we came from.’

Edge has no doubts that the album has some showstopping tracks.

‘This is going to be a great live record,’ he says, before confirming that lemons have no planned role in future U2 shows. ‘If memory serves, the lemon is a pretty lousy form of transport. It was for sale on eBay for a while but I don’t think there were any takers.’

As for the drama earlier in the summer when a CD of much of the new recording went missing during a photo-shoot, the singer appears to have little sympathy for the guitarist.

‘I was so happy it was him. It’s the sort of thing I would do. Everything turned a little Pink Panther down here for a while. There were gendarmes falling out of the sky...’

And inevitably with a U2 album, there were creative tensions – and creative resolutions! Larry explains that these days there is a fairly simple mechanism to resolve any artistic conflict.

‘There were some heated debates as usual.’ he recalls. ‘But the party line is, If you don’t have a better idea, shut the f*** up. It usually does the trick.’

The November edition of Q Magazine is in the shops now. More here.