Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wireless internet

somebitch

why does mine disconnect SOOO often? maybe i have something checked somewhere that makes it disconnect? i just got a wireless card for my laptop yesterday and i have a lot of problems already. there are like 4 wireless networks around & my own, but for some reason the little computers pop up in the taskbar telling me there is another connection available every few minutes & when this happens i get disconnected and have to reconnect. on my desktop with wireless, i never get disconnected!! wtf? :splat:

could be bunky router or card. also, if you have phones that are 2.4ghz and you are running a "B" network which also runs at 2.4ghz, it could fvck with your network...

bleh, just read the last part of your post...thats weird that your dektop is ok and the lappy is crapping out. does it only disconnect when it detects a new network?

could be bunky router or card. also, if you have phones that are 2.4ghz and you are running a "B" network which also runs at 2.4ghz, it could fvck with your network...

bleh, just read the last part of your post...thats weird that your dektop is ok and the lappy is crapping out. does it only disconnect when it detects a new network?

that is what it says in the taskbar. it says "new wireless network available" and it drops my current connection. Then i have top double click the little icon and press reconnect. :(

haha. this sucks more than wires.

that is odd :shaky:

like you said, there might be a setting that automatically disconnects you anytime a new network appears (although ive never seen this.) kinda hard to help without being at home :hey:

i would first try calling the pc card manufacturer's tech support # and let them know...they have helped more than i have expected (D-Link).

are u using service pack 2 for xp???

no i have sp1. i have the other one downloaded but i never saw the point of installing it. besides that it will stop telling me they are ready to install.

do think it would help if i install them?

some of the ohter networks disappeared from the available networks and i havent been disconnected in a while.

no... i have a little icon that says updates are ready to install but i never saw the point in installing them. do you think it might help?

i was experiencing the same prob with my 3com card...i was using service pack 1 with it and then i tried using the 3com software...both had me dropping service...since i installed service pack 2 and use that for my wireless conection (i uninstalled the 3com software), i have not dropped service yet...

i was experiencing the same prob with my 3com card...i was using service pack 1 with it and then i tried using the 3com software...both had me dropping service...since i installed service pack 2 and use that for my wireless conection (i uninstalled the 3com software), i have not dropped service yet...

yeah i had AT&T software installed before and it was horrible. this morning i woke up and my laptop had crashed really bad... so i uninstalled it and just use windows which works a lot better.

i think this might be fixed. i unclicked the button that says Use windows to automatically configure wireless connection and i set it up manually. i hope that other network doesnt come back though because i think it is messing things up too. :laugh: we will see...

yeah i had AT&T software installed before and it was horrible. this morning i woke up and my laptop had crashed really bad... so i uninstalled it and just use windows which works a lot better.

i think this might be fixed. i unclicked the button that says Use windows to automatically configure wireless connection and i set it up manually. i hope that other network doesnt come back though because i think it is messing things up too. :laugh: we will see...

yea...i find that windows works much better for wireless (which is odd), good luck but if it doesnt work try service pack 2 (i have been using it for a month or so and i love it...wireless setting, built in firewall and popup blocker built in, no need to turn on google toolbar)

sp2 is shitty. alot of apps will not run with sp2. i install sp2 and gave me nothing but problems.

what i would do is

make your own wireless connection the priimary and see what happens.

btw : people should really tun keys on their wireless connections. or have dhcp assign ips depending on their MAc address.... so much more secure....

I just installed sp2 and the wireless configuration is so much better.

i hope i dont have any of the problems youre talking about tony b/c i use this computer for graphics sometimes... so far it seems OK.

my wireless problems are fixed i think!!

oh and i have a key on my wireless router. there are a few people in this building without keys. i dont know how people can not have a key :laugh:

:hat:

i hope i dont have any of the problems youre talking about tony b/c i use this computer for graphics sometimes... so far it seems OK.

oh and i have a key on my wireless router. there are a few people in this building without keys. i dont know how people can not have a key :laugh:

you can also have the key to my apartment :drool:

u should have better luck with sp2...