Clubplanet Nightlife Community

FCC reviewing 'Desperate Housewives' Football Promo

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/17/business/17-WIRE-FCC.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Federal Communications Commission Wednesday reviewed complaints about ABC's steamy "Desperate Housewives" promotion before "Monday Night Football" and while the agency's chairman expressed disappointment, it was not clear whether government would tackle the network.

Advertisement

Although the FCC plans to fine 20 CBS affiliates for its live telecast of the Super Bowl halftime show this year in which Janet Jackson bared her breast, agency chief Michael Powell was measured in his comments about the seductive prime-time "Desperate Housewives" promo.

"First of all, as a legal matter, whether it's a problem is yet to be determined. We only respond to complaints and evaluate them fairly and make a decision," Powell said in an interview with CNBC.

"But I think it's very disappointing. I wonder if Walt Disney would be proud," Powell added.

ABC, a unit of Walt Disney Co., apologized Tuesday for running the spot for its red hot drama about hanky panky in suburbia as an introduction to its premier football game watched weekly by millions.

The FCC has been cracking down on broadcast radio and television stations for explicit sexual discussions and other incidents that are aired when children are likely to be watching or listening.

The network acknowledged receiving numerous viewer complaints for the segment that featured "Housewives" star Nicolette Sheridan making a very forward pass at Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens in a locker room.

In a parody of her show, Sheridan appears wrapped in a towel and beckons the player to skip his game for her. Although no nudity is shown, it is implied when Sheridan drops the towel to the floor and jumps into Owens's arms.

ABC said placement of the promo was inappropriate and the NFL also criticized the piece as unsuitable for its audience. REUTERS

it's not about sex, it's was about race. black man having a white woman. all the bible belt is going up in arms about it.

:laugh: thats what i thought at first, its def. the religious nuts overreacting.

but seriously tho, this is much ado about nothing, there's worse shit on the daytime soaps that kids watch all the time. i thought that shit was hysterical. I never watched the 'desperate houswives', now i will make a point to watch or TiVo it.

and some one tell TOny Dungy to STFU the promo wasnt racist in the light that it shows the black athlete as a sexual predator

you are right on one account, the people involved in the production of that skit didnt think it was a racial issue.... but you missed the point, its the perception of the masses, especially the 'red states' or 'bible belt' as vicman calls 'em... thats the difference. And thinking that race isnt an issue in america on some levels is tantamount to gross indifference to our present world. Shying away from talking about it wont help the situation. That said, america has come a long way from the early 20th century..its much better, but we got ways to go.The response to Dungys' perception has raised a furor...that in itself says something... Baby steps... it will get better. Shit like this is nothing but a reality check or the state of the situation.

I still think that skit was just funny as hell, the fact that it came to this is a slap in the face.

"Cant we all just get along? "

you are right on one account, the people involved in the production of that skit didnt think it was a racial issue.... but you missed the point, its the perception of the masses, especially the 'red states' or 'bible belt' as vicman calls 'em... thats the difference. And thinking that race isnt an issue in america on some levels is tantamount to gross indifference to our present world. Shying away from talking about it wont help the situation. That said, america has come a long way from the early 20th century..its much better, but we got ways to go.The response to Dungys' perception has raised a furor...that in itself says something... Baby steps... it will get better. Shit like this is nothing but a reality check or the state of the situation.

I still think that skit was just funny as hell, the fact that it came to this is a slap in the face.

"Cant we all just get along? "

this what i have been kinda alluding to in the politics board, most of us that post on CP and other club/music messageboard probably live in major metropolitan areas which are liberal. to say or to even allude that we know what the average guy in places like kansas or boise, idaho is thinking about these issues is just plain ludicrus.

i'm in mississippi this week for work, and its a whole different world out here. a lot of places are 20 years behind when it comes to talking about sex & race, its down right scary.

call the indianapolis colts and talk to dungy if it so bothers you so much. i really doubt he logs on to clubplanet.

ok shecky it doesnt bother me that much , all i am saying he should stfu because it isnt how he made it out to be

there are 3 types of people that seem to be offended for no reason here

1) those who feel offended by the "sexual " nature of something shown in prime time when kids are watchin

2) the outright racist KKK types whop cant stomach the thought of a black guy with a whiote woman

3) the DUngy approach where he thinks the promo portrays the black athlete as a sexual preadator

all 3 pure garbage

max how am i missing the boat? i am fully aware thats what the masses are thinkning

thats why i guess it was necessary to break it down further above

than just to give my opinion to dungy response in my first post