Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DT vs lawler at roxy- my night-

DT & LAWLER REVIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lawler is incredible. he hit sm records like at 2 : and 3: am that were intense. progg house with giant basslines. his drums buildup at about 3:45 was major. I loved him at crobar in march but the peaks of this roxy set were poss even better.

i liked everything he played, literally from first discs i heard at 11 until DT came by at 4:30. incl remixes of 'last night dj saved life' and a techy remix of trisco's muzak that was a bomb. he also played a remix of 'reap' [lil mo yin yang] that was so intense he & DT brought it back when they were trading off.

DT is playing awfully techno these days. i mean he's always had that segment in his arsenal but why is he going so hard so much? truthfully when they went head to head lawler had the dirty bombs. DT whipped out 'be yrself ' theme but he seemed to be doing a lot of percussive/filtered segues that lawler actually took to a better place.

the crowd- this was a better crowd than DT/howells. it did get too insanely sardine crowded by 5:

i did smell the cologne!! near the sky box/steps area. yeah there were alot of guidos/SF looking guys. but i thought over all it was an UP crowd. i had a blast. i met a lot of new friends and we were all enjoying the holiday celebration.

you know DT is our fave DJ and prob the best in usa if not the world but truth to tell lawler did better last night.

still I'll be hitting up DT Spirit, IMO when DT plays all night incl warming up for himself THAT is the DT that is the best. he really feels the flow of the night and DT's gradual build/intensity is 1 reason he's THE master.

DT had to follow up a blinding set by lawler and i didnt think his hard techno filtered was speaking to the crowd.

I dont mind DT's 'trance' tunes but if I cld choose I like DT's deep hard house & progressive and his the funky & soulful vocal house that were his signature sound in 90s he can pull out & mix like basically the worlds best DJ. which he may still be but lawler has devastated me two times this year and I wld put lawler crobar & lawler roxy as arguably the 2 best sets I heard all year. [off top my head best sets i heard besides lawler were hernan at centrofly in spring {hernans' trance is more interesting tha DT's} and DJ Vibe at Spirit [also Vibe sounded a lot like DT's vinyl/arc sound, progressive & housey with hot drums & bass] in the spring/summer might have been the best I heard all year, or lawler equalled that twice. I bet DT brings back is twilo/tunnel/vinyl sound at Spirit. that was/is HIS room!!

i thought most of the bouncers were cool, talked to several. the lounge room area guy was great. BUT there was a heavyset fellow in the bathroom with glasses who was actually physically intimidating people. I dont mind him kicking girls out of the mens [altho i dont mind them, if girls line is 20 mins long] but his repeatedly sadistic fascism of 'I did not ask you for any commentary, are you doing to use the john or are you looking for a confrontation with me' was shockingly hardcore & I dont know why he had to take it to that level. like he was looking for a showdown or worse? insane ((

its the opposite of courtesy & I didnt observe any patron's rude bathroom behaviour which is why his dictatorial model was so shocking & unfriendly & inappropriate.

lawler played a billion times better than howells at roxy this year. the DT/howells crowd was horrible & debauched, last night was a lot friendlier & UP cos lawler is a feel-good DJ. I hope lawler & DT go head to head again cos u know DT CAN be better than lawler he just wasnt last night. I think DT's spirit dec gig may show us why DT isour fave DJ & the best in usa if not the world.

now how about a DT/COX rematch? or DT/digweed again?

I suspecvt DT will bring his best tech-house set to play with cox and if you remember the housey/progg/deep stuff he played with Digweed, well THAT is the DT sound that made twilo and THAT is what i hope DT brings out at spirit.

rating: 8-1/2 for the night on a 10 scale. Id give lawler by himself 9 or 9+

I wish more people would post reviews like this... This is the shit I like to read... It seems like all the reviews as of late are all like the following...

Yo that place was off da hook!

Or

That shit was wack last night... :blah: :blah:

All you read these days is 2 second "reviews" if that is what you want to call them. With hardly an description of the night. No reasons behind bad or good. Or people only complaining about the security and not saying anything about the music and the personal good or bad time they created for themselves...

Thanks for the in depth review. I enjoyed the read!!!

PS - DT's best setting is his own residency in a more intimate setting. That is when he really takes you on a "TOUR". I think he plays some incredible musical journeys when he Opens and closes for himself in his own space ( Just like you said )... Cant wait for him to open up with a new party at a new residency!

DT & LAWLER REVIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lawler is incredible. he hit sm records like at 2 : and 3: am that were intense. progg house with giant basslines. his drums buildup at about 3:45 was major. I loved him at crobar in march but the peaks of this roxy set were poss even better.

i liked everything he played, literally from first discs i heard at 11 until DT came by at 4:30. incl remixes of 'last night dj saved life' and a techy remix of trisco's muzak that was a bomb. he also played a remix of 'reap' [lil mo yin yang] that was so intense he & DT brought it back when they were trading off.

DT is playing awfully techno these days. i mean he's always had that segment in his arsenal but why is he going so hard so much? truthfully when they went head to head lawler had the dirty bombs. DT whipped out 'be yrself ' theme but he seemed to be doing a lot of percussive/filtered segues that lawler actually took to a better place.

the crowd- this was a better crowd than DT/howells. it did get too insanely sardine crowded by 5:

i did smell the cologne!! near the sky box/steps area. yeah there were alot of guidos/SF looking guys. but i thought over all it was an UP crowd. i had a blast. i met a lot of new friends and we were all enjoying the holiday celebration.

you know DT is our fave DJ and prob the best in usa if not the world but truth to tell lawler did better last night.

still I'll be hitting up DT Spirit, IMO when DT plays all night incl warming up for himself THAT is the DT that is the best. he really feels the flow of the night and DT's gradual build/intensity is 1 reason he's THE master.

DT had to follow up a blinding set by lawler and i didnt think his hard techno filtered was speaking to the crowd.

I dont mind DT's 'trance' tunes but if I cld choose I like DT's deep hard house & progressive and his the funky & soulful vocal house that were his signature sound in 90s he can pull out & mix like basically the worlds best DJ. which he may still be but lawler has devastated me two times this year and I wld put lawler crobar & lawler roxy as arguably the 2 best sets I heard all year. [off top my head best sets i heard besides lawler were hernan at centrofly in spring {hernans' trance is more interesting tha DT's} and DJ Vibe at Spirit [also Vibe sounded a lot like DT's vinyl/arc sound, progressive & housey with hot drums & bass] in the spring/summer might have been the best I heard all year, or lawler equalled that twice. I bet DT brings back is twilo/tunnel/vinyl sound at Spirit. that was/is HIS room!!

i thought most of the bouncers were cool, talked to several. the lounge room area guy was great. BUT there was a heavyset fellow in the bathroom with glasses who was actually physically intimidating people. I dont mind him kicking girls out of the mens [altho i dont mind them, if girls line is 20 mins long] but his repeatedly sadistic fascism of 'I did not ask you for any commentary, are you doing to use the john or are you looking for a confrontation with me' was shockingly hardcore & I dont know why he had to take it to that level. like he was looking for a showdown or worse? insane ((

its the opposite of courtesy & I didnt observe any patron's rude bathroom behaviour which is why his dictatorial model was so shocking & unfriendly & inappropriate.

lawler played a billion times better than howells at roxy this year. the DT/howells crowd was horrible & debauched, last night was a lot friendlier & UP cos lawler is a feel-good DJ. I hope lawler & DT go head to head again cos u know DT CAN be better than lawler he just wasnt last night. I think DT's spirit dec gig may show us why DT isour fave DJ & the best in usa if not the world.

now how about a DT/COX rematch? or DT/digweed again?

I suspecvt DT will bring his best tech-house set to play with cox and if you remember the housey/progg/deep stuff he played with Digweed, well THAT is the DT sound that made twilo and THAT is what i hope DT brings out at spirit.

rating: 8-1/2 for the night on a 10 scale. Id give lawler by himself 9 or 9+

First off the crowd was the best crowd danny has played for at ROXY,IKON, but nowhere near CIELOS crowd when he rocked it there a few weeks ago. I figured since BOTH jp and boris were both playing how could the crowd be wrong, and boy was i right. Walked inside to find lawler playing some nice deephouse to being things. Lil by lil he picked it up and i enjoyed his whole set. Only problem i had was some peeps whispering to me if i knew if he was gonna play harder,sheesh its not about hard, its about soul.

As the hrs went by the crowd was getting more and more into it from my perspective and more and more crowded. Seems like everyone was dancing and jumping all over the place and having fun. Found all my cool peeps and just worked the dancefloor away. Although there was some points where me and some other old 6 hubert street peeps just stood by the booth and waited to the crowd cleared out a bit cause it was very crowded and we all take up a lot of space to dance when its like 20 of us who all get down hard. Anyhow steve lawler was great and my opinion and there were like only 8 tracks thurout his set that i didnt like. I gave steve like a 7 out of 10

Dt gets on and right away from the first track he plays the night felt like his musical selection wasnt goin to be like his previous nights there and it felt like 6 hubert street for a while. Dont know what else to say about DT on a great night that hasnt been said b4, the man is the greatest dj in the world(imo) and proved it again. From his track selections to his energy in the booth to his mixing style even his train wrecking WHICH SHOWS THE MAN IS HUMAN AND NOT USING A COMPUTER TO BE ERROR PROOF cause whast the fun in that. Got to meet OVRDOSE and that was a treat hope you had fun, from what i saw you and your friend were.

My personal highlight of the night was meeting ROBERT OWENS, the greatest VOCALIST in the history of HOUSE. Basically really no complaints of the night at all, best time i ever had at roxy. Lots of cool people were in the building for the party and i had blast.

i have to agree the night was pretty good. got there a little late, got on line at probably about 1, but it was moving really fast so we were in probably ten minutes later. good thing too cause it could have started pouring at any minute, it was insane when we were driving around looking for parking, but while on line there was no rain. anyway, no problems getting in. walked inside, the place was packed. not quite like i've seen it in the past for pvd or tiesto, but there was a ton of people there.

lawler was already on and was killing it. only heard him through his live sets and loved it, and now seeing him live def did not disappoint. loved his set. when dt came on he didn't disappoint either. i've taken some potshots at him here but he played some pretty hot shit. in the past i've heard some bland sets from him with not much energy, but the energy level was high all night. good track selection for sure.

anyway, good night all around, typical roxy special event crowd, a mix of pretty much everyone. no problems from the crowd either. finally got to meet silverbull, i don't know how you do it sober all night, you were going off the whole time, good shit.

anyway gotta save up some energy for mr morillo tonight. i don't know if anybody noticed but he was hanging out by the dj booth for a while. i was looking around and spotted him around 530.

the best part was probly those small spots on the dance floor where u could just glide around...some moments even forgetting ur on the ground :) how come there were so much space by the booth and no space at all by the bar?

Around the bar is where the drugs are sold. :rolleyes:

j/k :hat:

I gotta agree with what evry1 has been saying....lawler played amazing, I cannot wait till this guys comes back again, just one jam after another...he started teasing elements right before dt went on, I was hoping he would play the whole thing, but he didnt....I gotta say im dissapointed with dt's set, last few times I head him he has been sucking compared to the way he usually plays.

once DT has a residency in nyc again [even a monthly or twice/monthly like at spirit or crobar or sumpin] maybe he can establish a 'home' vibe again.

i know with DT coming on at 430-5 am after dealing with mad crowds at roxy...its so far away from the vinyl vibe...

i think DT all nite at spirit will show us what the future holds...the roxy 1-offs have been a mixed bag but at least DT 4th of july was bangin [no cox tho ]

and lawler ruled weds night.

DT will pick it back up but we need that regular 'nyc family' vibe back... its hasnt felk like that since the roxy partys started

see u at spirit....

k i'm a lil late on this review, but bear wtih me...it was a lonnnng w/e!!

cant' really say much...this nite was sick as well....couldn't STOP dancing...n the fact that i had 3 different circles to bounce around to, how could i stop?!?! it was great seein everyone out, fun meeting new peeps, seeing ppl i NEVER thought i'd see again, ESPECIALLY at a club with DT/Lawler spinning!! so coolies for that!!! stayed till closing, it was sick...went home, showered n went to LI to my mama's house str8 from queens.

never hear lawler spin before n that was some sickkk stuff he has goin on...at certain points, and on some levels i think he was better than DT. ok DON'T GET ME WRONG i loooooooooove DT...one of my fav DJs...but for some reason a couple traxx he dropped i just wasn't feelin...very mellow n i dunno...i'm not sayin i didn't like 'em really...just wasn't feelin them at that certain point in time. but overall nite was sickkk....when "last nite a dj saved my life" got dropped i went insane...also I THINK...don't badger me if i f**k this up...but i SWEAR that song "Pump...Pump the jam..pump it up" got droppped n me n my girl went crazy!! "Dance, dance, dance, dancE!!" sick nite..i love DT parties...always a good time.....like every other time....TIL NEXT TIME!!! :)